Bike Touring?

• HTML tutorial

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

Not really overland as I think the definition relates more to vehicle(gas or diesel )dependent travel but wanted to see if anyone else is into this.
I have ridden my bike along the U.S. from Canada to Mexico a couple of times, through Japan and from Copenhagen to Portugal. Camping every night.
Really makes you realize how little you need to survive and how powerful our bodies can be. Im no spring chicken and not in the best of shape, so it takes a bit of time to get places. But the pay off is so great. Really makes you in touch with nature that you can never feel in a car.
Im so used to light weight camping that I end up with tons of space in my Landcruiser when I go on a trip!
20150719_183730.jpg P7012068.jpg P7052107.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

True bicycle touring (as opposed to credit card touring) is the epitome of vehicle-based exploring! I've got a touring bike ('93 Bridgestone RB-T) but have only been on half a dozen or so overnight trips on it. I bought it specifically for the low gearing to pull a kid trailer.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I rode my Mountain Bike from San Francisco to Mexico in 5 days. Lost the feeling in several of my fingers for 6 month. Now I ride this... :-)

61265_119713408083746_5188012_n.jpg

Not as fast, but 10x more comfortable!!!

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

Nice!! SF to Mexico in 5 days is pretty intense...let alone on a mountain bike!!

Sweet rig! Two panniers on the rear rear wheel? It must have a rack on it to then , right?

Reactions: Kelly

Travel2Learn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Battle Ground, WA
Member #

Love this thread! I really like to bicycle tour!

www.BigGuyOnABike.com

Last year my wife and I were in Australia for a wedding, but couldn't take our bikes. So we took our camping gear instead and rented a car for a couple of weeks. After the wedding we traveled from Melbourne up to Sydney simply meandering wherever we wanted to go. We missed our bikes, but really enjoyed this type of travel (what we now know as Overlanding). We liked it so much we are in the process of planning a long-term overlanding adventure that will include shorter bicycle tours mixed in. The best of both worlds so to speak! That is how I found Overland Bound. I sure would enjoy hearing if anyone else has mixed (or wants to mix) bicycle touring with overlanding.

Thanks for the thread and for any common experience/goals that might be out there in the OB community.

Mark

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

YES!!!! I have a salsa vaya, so far only some over night trips to local state parks. But my dad and I are planning to do the katy trail in Missouri.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Have yet to do a camping trip on a bike but I do ride myself and with the fam quite a bit, my furthest journey so far was riding the entire perimeter of the Island of O'ahu a few years back, 132 miles over an 11 hour period. I was sore to say the least lol!