Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Did this disappear? I cant find it? Link and search get me to this; https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/things-that-go-bump-in-the-night-tell-your-story-of-chupacabra-ufo-bigfoot-yeti-missing-411.10299/

Whoa! We ran into some problems. Lets see if we can figure this out. For help with this issue, please contact info@overlandbound.com
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. Some features like the Calendar, Member Map, and Rally Point event planner require membership. If you already are a Member, please contact info@overlandbound.com so we can get this sorted out. If not, we'd love to have you on the crew. More information about Membership can be found at Membership

I am a member and logged in.

Reactions: KAIONE and M Rose

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Funny enough, I realize I haven't posted my "probably not bigfoot, but others immediately said bigfoot" story.

I had taken a couple of the kiddos out on an overnight bush camp on the shores of a very large lake in a part of BC that is renowned as Sasquatch country, so much so in fact that the Sasquatch Ski Resort is nearby, the lakeside town in the area has a big chainsaw carving of him, and the indigenous reserve has him on their sign and sells souvenirs with his image in their traditional art style.

So we were camped in a little spot off the FSR beside a river, and there were quite a few other folks camping out in the general area, on the opposite side of the road and a pair across the river from us, but nobody right in our little area. Late a night, I think around 1 am, though I can't be sure of the time, I heard a rather heavy thud right behind my tent. It sounded like someone had thrown a rather large rock, which had hit the ground and crunched in little in the leaves and scrub brush. A moment later, I heard the same sound again as if someone had thrown another rock. I listened intently for a while, but I heard nothing else, and I fell back alseep fairly quickly.

In retrospect, I should have checked in the morning to confirm if indeed it was a pair of rocks or what, but I forgot about it and left without searching for the rocks. When I mentioned this incident online in a group, several people immediately said it must be bigfoot, as they are known to do this, and there is a lot of bigfoot activity in that area. They even went so far as to say I should get in touch with the local indigenous people and tell them my story, as they would be very interested to know about it.

To this day, I think it's more likely to have been a grizzly, as apparently they sometimes exhibit this rock throwing behaviour, and there are lots of grizz and blackies in the area, but hey, who knows? I also find it funny that I wasn't more freaked out by it, as in retrospect it was a pretty bizzarre event and I've certainly never experienced anything like that before, but for some reason, I didn't perceive it as very threatening at the time and just went back to sleep lol

Reactions: grubworm

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I'm just saying there are more images of Jesus in a grilled cheese sammich than there are pictures of Bigfoot.

At some point the mathematical odds become inexplicable
View attachment 191608
Well, truthfully there are some fairly strange videos and pictures purportedly of bigfoot that have staunchly defied being debunked by analysis, but your point is well taken. It's a perplexing question, for sure.

On the one hand, some very large animals have remained unknown until well into the modern era and were dismissed for decades as fantasy by Zoology until they were proven to exist. The okapi and ceolacanth come to mind. Combined with numerous sightings by a lot of very normal, level headed people, it certainly suggests there may be some as yet undiscovered ape out there.

On the other hand, the prevalence of legends such as bigfoot across huge swaths of climate zones, terrain and people groups to my mind suggests a different explanation, as it seems very unlikely that a real animal should be so widely dispersed and spoken of by so many, and yet for there to be a dearth of hard evidence of its existence.

I recently moved to Northern bc, for example, and was surprised to find that raccoons, which I thought were basically everywhere in NA except maybe the arctic, are nowhere to be found up here. If even the exceptionally adaptable raccoon is limited in its spread within BC, how can Bigfoot survive everywhere from the Himalias to the Australian outback to the pacific northwest, and yet we find no bones, we've never found a dead one, never got a clear photo that hasn't turned out to be a hoax.

Could it be possible that bigfoot is some kind of psychological phenomenon? That belief in it and perhaps even sightings of it are the manifestation of some kind of deep seated archetype in the human mind? So many legends and stories appear in similar forms across extremely distant and seemingly unrelated people groups, suggesting that there may be something like what Jung called "the collective unconscious" which may be the origin of bigfoot. Then again, if some deep seated psychological origin exists which could give rise to so many sightings, stories and legends, why hasn't modern psychology explained it yet?

Could it even be possible that bigfoot is some sort of supernatural entity? A spirit of some kind? That would explain it's seeming ability to vanish without a trace when spotted, and why it could be so widespread around the world. Even if you believe in the supernatural, it's an odd explanation given the behaviors associated with bigfoot sightings - it always seems to be described as behaving in ways that we would associate with some kind of large ape, not like some supernatural entity with either good or evil intentions.

From all I've seen, bigfoot seems to have a knack for defying any sort of explanation at all, either as a complete fantasy, or as a corporeal or even a supernatural being.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Well, truthfully there are some fairly strange videos and pictures purportedly of bigfoot that have staunchly defied being debunked by analysis, but your point is well taken. It's a perplexing question, for sure.

On the one hand, some very large animals have remained unknown until well into the modern era and were dismissed for decades as fantasy by Zoology until they were proven to exist. The okapi and ceolacanth come to mind. Combined with numerous sightings by a lot of very normal, level headed people, it certainly suggests there may be some as yet undiscovered ape out there.

On the other hand, the prevalence of legends such as bigfoot across huge swaths of climate zones, terrain and people groups to my mind suggests a different explanation, as it seems very unlikely that a real animal should be so widely dispersed and spoken of by so many, and yet for there to be a dearth of hard evidence of its existence.

I recently moved to Northern bc, for example, and was surprised to find that raccoons, which I thought were basically everywhere in NA except maybe the arctic, are nowhere to be found up here. If even the exceptionally adaptable raccoon is limited in its spread within BC, how can Bigfoot survive everywhere from the Himalias to the Australian outback to the pacific northwest, and yet we find no bones, we've never found a dead one, never got a clear photo that hasn't turned out to be a hoax.

Could it be possible that bigfoot is some kind of psychological phenomenon? That belief in it and perhaps even sightings of it are the manifestation of some kind of deep seated archetype in the human mind? So many legends and stories appear in similar forms across extremely distant and seemingly unrelated people groups, suggesting that there may be something like what Jung called "the collective unconscious" which may be the origin of bigfoot. Then again, if some deep seated psychological origin exists which could give rise to so many sightings, stories and legends, why hasn't modern psychology explained it yet?

Could it even be possible that bigfoot is some sort of supernatural entity? A spirit of some kind? That would explain it's seeming ability to vanish without a trace when spotted, and why it could be so widespread around the world. Even if you believe in the supernatural, it's an odd explanation given the behaviors associated with bigfoot sightings - it always seems to be described as behaving in ways that we would associate with some kind of large ape, not like some supernatural entity with either good or evil intentions.

From all I've seen, bigfoot seems to have a knack for defying any sort of explanation at all, either as a complete fantasy, or as a corporeal or even a supernatural being.
Google Earth at one time had a Bigfoot sighting overlay.

Ironically there were a number of sightings close to me, there was also something of an uptick in meth labs in the same area. The meth labs failed to maintain adequate respect for explosive environments and are now gone, but the overlay is also gone so I can't substantiate any correlation.

Myths and mythical creatures stimulate the imagination, meth also stimulates the imagination. Before anyone gets puffy eyed I'm not saying all Bigfoot believers are meth heads. But in 2021 with the prevalence of cameras, handheld, security, traffic, drive, satellite, etc. and there is still no picture any clearer than a gravestone rubbing leads me to the conclusion that Bigfoot is a figment of overactive imaginations.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Google Earth at one time had a Bigfoot sighting overlay.

Ironically there were a number of sightings close to me, there was also something of an uptick in meth labs in the same area. The meth labs failed to maintain adequate respect for explosive environments and are now gone, but the overlay is also gone so I can't substantiate any correlation.

Myths and mythical creatures stimulate the imagination, meth also stimulates the imagination. Before anyone gets puffy eyed I'm not saying all Bigfoot believers are meth heads. But in 2021 with the prevalence of cameras, handheld, security, traffic, drive, satellite, etc. and there is still no picture any clearer than a gravestone rubbing leads me to the conclusion that Bigfoot is a figment of overactive imaginations.
I agree it may be the most likely explanation, and yet on the other hand there are many accounts from very credible people that defy that explanation. I agree that many, perhaps most bigfoot sightings are likely hoaxes, or overactive imaginations at work, but to say that ALL of them are gets to the point of being as unlikely as the existence of bigfoot itself.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I agree it may be the most likely explanation, and yet on the other hand there are many accounts from very credible people that defy that explanation. I agree that many, perhaps most bigfoot sightings are likely hoaxes, or overactive imaginations at work, but to say that ALL of them are gets to the point of being as unlikely as the existence of bigfoot itself.
You are in a diametrically opposed position there.

Lack of evidence that a mythical creature exists doesn't increase the likelihood that it exists.

Since there is literally no evidence anywhere, physical or photographic that Bigfoot exists I'm going with Bigfoot does not exist.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

You are in a diametrically opposed position there.

Lack of evidence that a mythical creature exists doesn't increase the likelihood that it exists.

Since there is literally no evidence anywhere, physical or photographic that Bigfoot exists I'm going with Bigfoot does not exist.
Not at all.

Eyewitness accounts are evidence, and while some of them have proven unreliable, many are from very credible people and have the ring of truth, as it were.

Also, there are some pieces of phyiscal and photographic evidence out there, just not much that's very good or definitive. So basically, there is some evidence to suggest that bigfoot does exist, but it's not very strong. The absence of such proof is not proof of absence either. Someone made the very good point that cougars are well known to exist, and yet you pretty much never find their bones. You would think it would be common to find bear or cougar bones, but nope.

My point is that the question of bigfoot is an intriguing one no matter how you see it, because none of the popular explanations, including the one that says they don't exist at all, are entirely satisfactory, for various reasons.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The other 80% are phase shifting to an alternate plane of existence.

Unrelated, every time I watch one of those Bigfoot shows where they are howling and hollering “Bigfoot calls” I kinda wish that Bigfoot was a real and those calls were a mating call. An 8 foot hairy biped with a boner and a twinkle in his eye walking up and surprising an idiot in the woods howling is TV I would pay to watch.
thumb_thats-my-fetish-abor-n-thats-my-fetish-william-dafoe-49934690.png