Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
Prewitt Ridge Campground in Big Sur is awesome. Just spent the weekend up there with a couple other trucks. Great drive and gorgeous views.

Starting by turning off of highway 1 (N 35.98867° W 121.49397°) we stayed at the Prewitt Ridge campground (N 35.97143° W 121.45313°) and the drove East to the Fort Hunter Liggett (N 36.00691° W 121.23549°) area and checked out Mission San Antonio (N 36.01511° W 121.24990°) and went back home (Modesto) on the 101 and through Hollister awesome drive. Put 360+ miles over the weekend.

Reactions: justintheegreat

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

Prewitt Ridge Campground in Big Sur is awesome. Just spent the weekend up there with a couple other trucks. Great drive and gorgeous views.

Starting by turning off of highway 1 (N 35.98867° W 121.49397°) we stayed at the Prewitt Ridge campground (N 35.97143° W 121.45313°) and the drove East to the Fort Hunter Liggett (N 36.00691° W 121.23549°) area and checked out Mission San Antonio (N 36.01511° W 121.24990°) and went back home (Modesto) on the 101 and through Hollister awesome drive. Put 360+ miles over the weekend.
Thanks. I'll check it out on my maps.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Hey sorry I didn’t see this. I’d say Prewitt for sure if you want dispersed. Check for fire updates as it may be restricted campfires. During the day, walking the stairs down to Sandollar Beach is really fun.
When you get to Prewitt, to the left down slope there’s a couple campsites with fire rings and ridiculous views. To the right (assuming you’re facing the ocean) there’s an amazing private spot.
There can be really bad flies. You can have insane wind. Fog, cold etc... it’s Steinbeck Land! But, what a spot. Prewitt is an absolute “sit in your chair looking at the view all day” place.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

If you’re going from the 1, just follow Nacimiento Ferguson Road up about 6 miles, then follow the signs back towards the ocean.

mrpnicolas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nicolas
Member #

Prewitt for sure for dispersed. Kirk Creek campground for developed which is also right across the Vicente trail if you want to do some backpacking.

Ashley P

Rank 0

Contributor I

Union City, Ca
First Name
Ashley
Last Name
Pietz
Newbie overlander here. This sounds like a great first outing. Any concerns with the area filling up or is there plenty of space to set up camp?

Adewynewy

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Campbell, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Newman
Member #

Newbie overlander here. This sounds like a great first outing. Any concerns with the area filling up or is there plenty of space to set up camp?
Got to the top at 11am on a Saturday. I wouldn't want to show up any later than that. The ridge was pretty full around 2pm with the desirable ones gone around 12:30. This was my only experience up there so I'm not sure if that is the norm or not

Reactions: Ashley P

Ashley P

Rank 0

Contributor I

Union City, Ca
First Name
Ashley
Last Name
Pietz
Got to the top at 11am on a Saturday. I wouldn't want to show up any later than that. The ridge was pretty full around 2pm with the desirable ones gone around 12:30. This was my only experience up there so I'm not sure if that is the norm or not
Thanks for the tip. How was the overnight? Noisy with all the people?

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Prewitt Ridge is awesome, tons of dispersed camping. Really nice spots coming up from highway one however you have to keep an eye open for the hidden gems that are actually on private property.

Kwikvette

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central CA
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Montero
We use a spray from Cedarcide it’s also safe for dogs. Keeps everything away even ticks and fleas. We have a discount if anyone wants to try.

Also building a fire works and citronella candle.
Hmm never heard of Cedarcide; fires work but there are absolutely no fires allowed out there.