Member #

Aborted! Traffic is beyond impossible.

Will be washed out by AM anyway looks like

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Big Sur is currently being pounded into the ground. We will be lucky if it doesn't slide into the Pacific by Friday...

Reactions: Mike G

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

I will be headed up from Southern California taking Old Coast Road going north. Does anyone know where the entrance for this road is coming the south (maybe plasket creek road)? I will be headed up on 1/27 and will most likely meet up with everyone on 1/28. This will be the beginning of my 3.5 week road trip up the entire west coast of CA, OR, WA. I am kinda just traveling where the wind takes me and plan on meeting with people along the way. Any of you guys taken Old Coast Road up are there other campsites along the road?

Last edited:
Reactions: picklejuice

Theeds

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Edstrom
Member #

From the south, old coast road starts out right next to the main entrance of Andrew Molera State Park. There is no camping along it as far as I know.

South coast ridge road will take you to the campsite this thread is talking about and you can either take will creek road or plaskett creek road to get to it. If you take will creek you will ride south coast ridge road in its entirety which is fun. It is fairly rough road and I would expect it to be pretty washed out with the rains we are getting right now. There are certainly makeshift campsites along south coast ridge road that you can camp at.

Also highly recommend getting or printing a map of the area to show you the trails and dead ends and such.

I will be headed up from Southern California taking Old Coast Road going north. Does anyone know where the entrance for this road is coming the south (maybe plasket creek road)? I will be headed up on 1/27 and will most likely meet up with everyone on 1/28. This will be the beginning of my 3.5 week road trip up the entire west coast of CA, OR, WA. I am kinda just traveling where the wind takes me and plan on meeting with people along the way. Any of you guys taken Old Coast Road up are there other campsites along the road?

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

From the south, old coast road starts out right next to the main entrance of Andrew Molera State Park. There is no camping along it as far as I know.

South coast ridge road will take you to the campsite this thread is talking about and you can either take will creek road or plaskett creek road to get to it. If you take will creek you will ride south coast ridge road in its entirety which is fun. It is fairly rough road and I would expect it to be pretty washed out with the rains we are getting right now. There are certainly makeshift campsites along south coast ridge road that you can camp at.

Also highly recommend getting or printing a map of the area to show you the trails and dead ends and such.
Yes I have plenty of maps of the area, I have been to Big Sur many times so I know how it can be out there. @ravenplague See you guys there, its been a while ;)

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I talked to my buddy who A) knows the road, being a former BS resident and B) knows my trailer because he used to own the exact same model and said it's not an issue, guys with bigger rigs than mine make that road.

My fire permit is current, and I will likely have been settled in for 12 hours or more by the time you fellas arrive :-) Cya there
@maktruk Try to get the camp sites at 35°58'09.3"N 121°27'01.9"W The area has 2 designated camp sites with plenty of space for your trailer and our rigs.

Prewitt Ridge.jpg

Reactions: picklejuice

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

Last time I was there, there were only one other car with dozens of spots to camp. Worst comes to worse, we split up for sleeping spots but hang with the overlandbound camp with the biggest fire until its time to sleep!