Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
what's happing everyone?? Jeremy here… Gonna do a bit of cut and past from my introduction post to save me a little typing….lol

My Baby is "Betsie" She is a 2018 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 Laramie
she came with 20" Hostile wheels on 33" shoes but I cut the pinch welds and used a heat gun to mold the fender and lining back on the front fenders to fit 37" can't even tell anything was done
got her a 2.5 level kit in front
she has air bags in back
did the 50 gal. Titan fuel tank upgrade (wanna go further for longer) I wanna do the 30 gal. spare tire well tank next!!
brand new Snug Top, windoors with slides on the sides, USB outlets at the tail gate, and yakama tracks on top for a future rack, wing awning, and lighting system.
full bed carpet
Last but not least, I got her the Road Armor Stealth front bumper with 4 Westin crazy bright LED fogs, and a 12k Warn wench with synthetic rope that will protect my babies grill. Think I have to go bigger on the wench though... (popped the drum rope set bolt tryin to pull her out of deep snow last weekend up at Bald Mt.)

I've got a LOT of plans for Betsie, but as is the case with many of us I'm sure, my pockets are no where deep enough to do what I want at the pace that I want... a.k.a. yesterday...lol I have a lot of ideas that I'm gonna be playing around with design wise, and when I get stuck I would appreciate any and all input people want to throw my way. Many heads are always better than one!!!

I'm thinking I will start pulling the ideas I have in my head and putting them down on paper. first I want to get into specificities for a canopy system I have been thinking about for a while. I love the batwing concept, but I think I have an idea that may be just as comparable and NOT cost $1500+... We will see though... After my last excursion up to Bald mountain I may need to keep this idea on paper, and drop some coin on lockers and getting rid of those damn 20" rims on my rig... don't get me wrong... they look nice, but are not practical for what I'm trying to do with my rig...

I can work on an engine with my eyes closed, but I have limited knowledge about transmissions, lockers, and axles... I mean.... I know how they work, but as far as types, designs, durability, what has a proven track record, and what can be used from another truck on Betsie and what not... You know.... the stuff that the seasoned guys and gals would know . I have done a little research, but again I welcome any and all information related to the subject.

After I get a little more organized I'll start a build thread on Betsie so I can help anyone else who may come across the same questions I have when they start their BIG RIG Build...

Thanks for checking out my thread...

Talk to you guys soon...

Oh.... and Happy Mother's day to all the Overlander Momma's out there... I hope you're enjoying your day today ladies.!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

Grab some power wagon rims of the net, 17inch slightly better offset then the factory 20s or 18s. A better idea would be to get the AEV Salta rims with +27 offset for the 37s.

Can the batwing awning help you get unstuck? I'd put that money to a locker, and before that sliders if you haven't already. Armor before comfort if you are wheeling stuff like Shaver Lake.

Rockin a 2018 Power Wagon myself! See ya on the trails.

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
Grab some power wagon rims of the net, 17inch slightly better offset then the factory 20s or 18s. A better idea would be to get the AEV Salta rims with +27 offset for the 37s.

Can the batwing awning help you get unstuck? I'd put that money to a locker, and before that sliders if you haven't already. Armor before comfort if you are wheeling stuff like Shaver Lake.

Rockin a 2018 Power Wagon myself! See ya on the trails.
I thought about picking up some power wagon rims... I checked out those AEV Salta's and they are nice, but I'm thinkin I wanna go full bead locks so I can go down to 3psi if needed for snow and sand... And yes... you are right about the awning... Like I said... I'm probably going to keep in on paper... I wanna have SOME shade once I get to my destination especially with the heat getting up there already so locking suction cups, a tarp, extension poles, and 550 cord for now...lol, but yes... That is why I was sayin that I should keep my awning idea's on paper until I get the lockers done... If you have any advice on that I could sure use it.!!!
thanx.!!!

Reactions: Neuvik

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
Nice thatll be a fun build. I just stepped up to a one ton rig. Cant wait to get going on it.
yes a little too much fun maybe...lol... I goty a bit too excited because I was literally throwing money at it and only did a small handful of things... I really do need to SLOW DOWN, do some research, talk to some people on the forums, and get the necessities done FIRST!!! know what I mean... But a one ton rig.!!!! now THAT sounds like a fun build!!! I've driven so many Deuce and a Halves (2.5 tons) when I was active duty that I've always dreamt about picking one up at a military surplus auction and building it up, but at that size your looking at major $$$ for a build of that magnitude... keep us posted on your 1 ton build for sure...

Reactions: Apoclapedia

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

I thought about picking up some power wagon rims... I checked out those AEV Salta's and they are nice, but I'm thinkin I wanna go full bead locks so I can go down to 3psi if needed for snow and sand... And yes... you are right about the awning... Like I said... I'm probably going to keep in on paper... I wanna have SOME shade once I get to my destination especially with the heat getting up there already so locking suction cups, a tarp, extension poles, and 550 cord for now...lol, but yes... That is why I was sayin that I should keep my awning idea's on paper until I get the lockers done... If you have any advice on that I could sure use it.!!!
thanx.!!!
Lockers are a snowball point, because if you are in there in the first place, you might as well regear.

What is your rig geared for? I think it's like 3.73, I think for our axles running 37s the calculators say like 4.56 or 4.88. But plenty of folks run them at 4.10 or even 3.73. As for the locker brand it's your choice; ARB, Yukon etc. You can even get them direct from Mopar (Eaton) for the AAM axles, so that's an option.

I'm geared 5.13.

Full beadlocks are nice, I need to get them myself. With our vehicle weights air down and coming off an Obstacle it's a big risk to pop them. So far haven't had a issue though.

Reactions: DieselRamOverlander

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
Welcome, nice into and nice rig, but where are the pictures?
I knew there was something I forgot....lol... just uploaded 19 pix to my original thread/post... I'm at work, and most of my pix are on my phone... I've got pix of when all the upgrades were done, but I gotta go diggin through my phone.... I'm a picture whore so... I have LOTS of pictures of everything....lol I'll get some more up when I get them organized.... Thanx for the heads up because we all know pictures are worth 1000+ words....

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I knew there was something I forgot....lol... just uploaded 19 pix to my original thread/post... I'm at work, and most of my pix are on my phone... I've got pix of when all the upgrades were done, but I gotta go diggin through my phone.... I'm a picture whore so... I have LOTS of pictures of everything....lol I'll get some more up when I get them organized.... Thanx for the heads up because we all know pictures are worth 1000+ words....
Thank you, now I see what you mean. She's a beast and that front bar is fierce! Hope no one backs into your wheel fender thingys lol. Awesome!

• Haha

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
Thank you, now I see what you mean. She's a beast and that front bar is fierce! Hope no one backs into your wheel fender thingys lol. Awesome!
Yeah she is my baby.!!!!.... I REALLY wanted the front end protection!!! nearly EVERYTHING is plastic on cars and trucks these days, so I got what had picture proof of how good these bumpers withstand accidents both vehicular and obstacle...lol... I custom ordered the 1.75" chrome plated aluminum giant tree spikes online.... "not cheap" but it has been something I have been wanting to do to my truck since my first Tacoma years ago when I put the same style fender flares on.... just finally found a company that sold to the general public.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah she is my baby.!!!!.... I REALLY wanted the front end protection!!! nearly EVERYTHING is plastic on cars and trucks these days, so I got what had picture proof of how good these bumpers withstand accidents both vehicular and obstacle...lol... I custom ordered the 1.75" chrome plated aluminum giant tree spikes online.... "not cheap" but it has been something I have been wanting to do to my truck since my first Tacoma years ago when I put the same style fender flares on.... just finally found a company that sold to the general public.
Yeah what ever you can't go around, you could just go straight through lol.

• Haha

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
Lockers are a snowball point, because if you are in there in the first place, you might as well regear.

What is your rig geared for? I think it's like 3.73, I think for our axles running 37s the calculators say like 4.56 or 4.88. But plenty of folks run them at 4.10 or even 3.73. As for the locker brand it's your choice; ARB, Yukon etc. You can even get them direct from Mopar (Eaton) for the AAM axles, so that's an option.

I'm geared 5.13.

Full beadlocks are nice, I need to get them myself. With our vehicle weights air down and coming off an Obstacle it's a big risk to pop them. So far haven't had a issue though.
Yes… I am a huge proponent for conducting maintenance, fixing, and or replacing components when opening up any part of my vehicles because like you said “you might as well”… those words have saved me so much in the past with regards to changing out parts that weren’t quite ready to be replaced, but have saved myself a butt load of time and money in the future because I just went ahead and changed them while I was in there…

Pretty sure she still has the stock 3.42 gears… It does have a gooseneck already installed but I don’t plan on taking the cap off any time soon so it will stay there until if/when I need it.

WOW 5.13…. That is crazy low!!! You gotta be getting horrible gas mileage… No??... I’m thinking about goin down to 4.10 or maaaaaybe 4.56 but I don’t want to go too low… my gas mileage will go well into the single digits if I do.

I talked to Inthewoods (Steve) at a meet up in Visalia last Saturday, and his Ram is in the shop getting 4.10’s and Detroit lockers, but he’s rockin the 5.9 gaser… I’ve heard good things about Detroit lockers over the years, but mostly in Chevy’s so we’ll see… I’m gonna do a bit more research before I decide on which route to take…

And yes…. When I go full bead locks I will also be installing an onboard air system along with a power tank for just in case… this way as soon as I get out of deep snow or sand I can’t bring the tires back up BEFORE running the risk of damaging them...lol…. I try to be proactive before having to make reactive repairs…

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I don't recommend a Detroit Locker in a rig that spends a lot of time on the street, especially in areas that get snow and ice on the road. If you haven't driven in a truck with a Detroit try to hitch a ride in one before taking the plunge.

My Ram ('06 ISB 5.9L HO and 48RE auto tranny) has 3.73 axle ratio and is rolling on 37" tires. I don't want 4.10 gears unless I buy another heavy trailer. The 3.73 gearing is probably the best for overlanding with this tire size, particularly when putting in a fair amount of highway miles. As it sits, optimum cruising speed is down near 70 mph.

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

Yes… I am a huge proponent for conducting maintenance, fixing, and or replacing components when opening up any part of my vehicles because like you said “you might as well”… those words have saved me so much in the past with regards to changing out parts that weren’t quite ready to be replaced, but have saved myself a butt load of time and money in the future because I just went ahead and changed them while I was in there…

Pretty sure she still has the stock 3.42 gears… It does have a gooseneck already installed but I don’t plan on taking the cap off any time soon so it will stay there until if/when I need it.

WOW 5.13…. That is crazy low!!! You gotta be getting horrible gas mileage… No??... I’m thinking about goin down to 4.10 or maaaaaybe 4.56 but I don’t want to go too low… my gas mileage will go well into the single digits if I do.

I talked to Inthewoods (Steve) at a meet up in Visalia last Saturday, and his Ram is in the shop getting 4.10’s and Detroit lockers, but he’s rockin the 5.9 gaser… I’ve heard good things about Detroit lockers over the years, but mostly in Chevy’s so we’ll see… I’m gonna do a bit more research before I decide on which route to take…

And yes…. When I go full bead locks I will also be installing an onboard air system along with a power tank for just in case… this way as soon as I get out of deep snow or sand I can’t bring the tires back up BEFORE running the risk of damaging them...lol…. I try to be proactive before having to make reactive repairs…
I geared 5.13 for 40s. And I pretty much rock crawl lite with the Power Wagon so I want the torque and reduced stress to the driveline. Fuel consumption has not changed from 12 smiles per gallon (reprogrammed ECU/TCU).

My theory for running the larger tires is to reduce stress to core components such as transmission and transfer case. Thick steel like the ring gear and axle shafts can take it, and are far cheaper than driveline components to replace. The engine and trans has to work harder to turn those big tires on the rocks and up inclines. Just doesn't sit well with me personally to have essentially highway gearing when I bought this to crawl.

That said higher gearing for cruising down the interstate to your destination fast is something important too. To me, a little more time isn't a bother.

Your 68RFE Trans can handle a good amount of torque, and with the tcase I guess the high gearing isn't as much of a problem (I wish we had the option of 4:1 factory tcases. C'on Borg Warner!)
My 66RFE tcase is a mushy ticking time bomb waiting to strand me somewhere.

Do you have a rear locker?
I'm not a fan of Detroit lockers for this type of rig. For normal driving you want an open diff so the outside tire in a turn spins fast than the inside, reducing stress to the components and wear on the tire. With a Detroit (or grizzly or lunchbox) locker your outside tire can engage on those corners causing chirping and increased wear, add ice or water and it can send you spinning.

They are far cheaper than selectable lockers. But just understand the trade off. I drove to high-school with a welded spool so I'm the last one to lecture... lockers are better than open diffs for the trail, and I'm getting the idea you like to go on aggressive trails.

Also I think you should be 30 spline axle shafts for your pricing research. If you regear yourself let me know. It's kinda annoying, there is a carrier bearing where the Tru-Lok hub access port is, so you need a long thin piece of wood or malleable material to slide between the axle shafts and tube at the hub (hub obviously removed) and knock it back into the access port. Then you can remove the axle shaft. Good to know for the trail too since it's kinds hidden. If you need to rip out the axle shaft that is. It's not easy.

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
I don't recommend a Detroit Locker in a rig that spends a lot of time on the street, especially in areas that get snow and ice on the road. If you haven't driven in a truck with a Detroit try to hitch a ride in one before taking the plunge.

My Ram ('06 ISB 5.9L HO and 48RE auto tranny) has 3.73 axle ratio and is rolling on 37" tires. I don't want 4.10 gears unless I buy another heavy trailer. The 3.73 gearing is probably the best for overlanding with this tire size, particularly when putting in a fair amount of highway miles. As it sits, optimum cruising speed is down near 70 mph.
Hey Paul,

This is exactly why I am here… I want to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on anything… I will definitely be checking out how Steve’s (Inthewoods) rig is liking the new set up… I keep coming across explanations on how the different types of diff’s work, and very little on application, types, and makers.

I would like to have the luxury of manually locking/unlocking the rear diff. I have seen the Eaton E-Locker, the ARB Air-Locker, and the TJM Pro-Locker, and I’m really liking what I’m seeing with the TJM because along with no internal pressurized components, it requires a compressor or tank which I will need anyways for bringing my tires back up to pressure when I take them down…

So you think I should stick with the stock 3.42 gearing?? Going down wouldn’t help much you think??

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Hey Paul,

This is exactly why I am here… I want to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on anything… I will definitely be checking out how Steve’s (Inthewoods) rig is liking the new set up… I keep coming across explanations on how the different types of diff’s work, and very little on application, types, and makers.

I would like to have the luxury of manually locking/unlocking the rear diff. I have seen the Eaton E-Locker, the ARB Air-Locker, and the TJM Pro-Locker, and I’m really liking what I’m seeing with the TJM because along with no internal pressurized components, it requires a compressor or tank which I will need anyways for bringing my tires back up to pressure when I take them down…

So you think I should stick with the stock 3.42 gearing?? Going down wouldn’t help much you think??

The diesel rigs handle the change to larger tires much better than the gas trucks. My truck has less power than yours (325hp, 610 ft-lb tq.) and a really bad auto tranny and the 3.73s work well with 37s. I can't imagine your year truck with the powertrain it has not being able to turn 37s with ease. I suggest you keep researching and find people who have made the change and pick their brains, but my gut tells me re-gearing from 3.42 to 3.73 with 37" tires won't result in a change that puts a big smile on your face, especially with the high price tag associated with it. If you ever make the move to 40s, then yeah, gearing would be a good idea.

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824
Trent... Paul... You guys are AWESOME!!! Thank you for all your inputs!!! you have given me much to think about and research.!!! I'm about to check out of work, but I'll be back on later... talk to you guys soon