Launch Member

Contributor I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Trevino
Member #

Planning a first Big Bend trip Nov 18th-21st staying at the Goat Pens so that I can have campfire. Looking to take down Black Gap Road and River Road. Any tips or pointers before heading out? My main concern is fuel. Also if anyone would like to meet up, feel free to join. 20190906_134555.jpeg

NOTYO TACO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Baird, Tx
Member #

You should have no problems with either of the roads you mention if the rig in the picture is yours. I have done both multiple times. River road can be pretty muddy if it has been raining. Might want to have some kind of Mud recovery if it has been. Max Traxs etc. I have a winch and winch anchor not many tree to anchor to. There are gas stations in the Park. I carry 10 gallons of fuel but fill up every time I pass one of them and have actually never had to use the spare fuel. River road is 52 miles from one end to the other. Black Gap is only about 5.

Reactions: Btrevino195

Btrevino195

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Trevino
Member #

You should have no problems with either of the roads you mention if the rig in the picture is yours. I have done both multiple times. River road can be pretty muddy if it has been raining. Might want to have some kind of Mud recovery if it has been. Max Traxs etc. I have a winch and winch anchor not many tree to anchor to. There are gas stations in the Park. I carry 10 gallons of fuel but fill up every time I pass one of them and have actually never had to use the spare fuel. River road is 52 miles from one end to the other. Black Gap is only about 5.
Thanks! Heading out today so hope all goes well!

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Planning a first Big Bend trip Nov 18th-21st staying at the Goat Pens so that I can have campfire. Looking to take down Black Gap Road and River Road. Any tips or pointers before heading out? My main concern is fuel. Also if anyone would like to meet up, feel free to join. View attachment 124941
I guess by now you are in the Big Bend area. Give us a report and some pics so I can live through you while I sit behind this computer all day. :disappointed:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I guess by now you are in the Big Bend area. Give us a report and some pics so I can live through you while I sit behind this computer all day. :disappointed:
Yes, looking forward to how things went. We are planning to go "sometime" in the near future.

Reactions: eagle_A40

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

We were there at the same time. I was about 4 miles further up the road from the Goat Pens at a friends private property. He has 1,500 acres that spread out further north and west from the pens. How did you like that road after the rain on Tuesday night/morning? The road went to shit. Sticky sticky clay made a skating rink with my KO2's on my Jeep.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
We really want to go. Just gotta figure out the timing.

YOTA4FUN

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Albright
Member #

Just got back yesterday from a trip to Big Bend and Terlingua Ranch. If you are headed out there , I highly recommend a detour to the ranch to get access to the gate key to go up the Christmas Mountain Trail (3rd pic). It is well worth the detour.

Attachments