Welch, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Fjetland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
na
Hey all.....we're heading to Big Bend starting Feb 1. Any suggestions on where to camp and or things nog to miss?

Thanks
Bob

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
Santa Elena Canyon and the hot springs are pretty awesome. Drive all the trails, all are pretty scenic. Rio Grande Village campground was Eh but there is a nice short walk that was kind of cool, there is a marsh, a vantage point to see Mexico. Chiso Basin area has some nice hikes as well. One takes you to the edge of a waterfall and it is amazing and pretty short another takes you up a mountain with great views.

The place has like 4 different climates all within a hour or so, there is a ton to experience!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The NP was very crowded 2 weeks ago. No worries if you;re on the dirt roads, but plan ahead for the popular spots on paved roads. Several of the remote campsites we saw were pretty cool, although, I wouldn't personally camp down on the river.

Zeke

Rank II

Enthusiast I

DFW
First Name
Ramey
Last Name
Burke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5GVZ
Hey all.....we're heading to Big Bend starting Feb 1. Any suggestions on where to camp and or things nog to miss?

Thanks
Bob
Have a great trip! I would be interested how it goes. A buddy and I are putting a trip together for the end of April.

Damolokai

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Houston
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Quinto
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
All the primitive campsites inside the park are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Meaning, you cant make reservations for those sites. You'll have to go to the Panther Junction Ranger station if you want one.

My recommendations for the best primitive campsites are:

1) Tally 4
2) Tally 3
3) Glen Springs 1

You can make reservations for the "normal" campsites located near the ranger stations at Chisos Basin, Cottonwood, and the Rio Grande. These are the best locations for RVs and civilized accommodations. Checkout recreation.gov

Outside the park, I highly recommend Rancho Topanga ( Rancho Topanga Campgrounds ) and Basecamp Terlingua ( Basecamp Terlingua )

Things not to miss checking out:

1. Santa Elena Canyon
2. Mariscal Mine
3. Ernst Tinja
4. Christmas Mountain (outside the park)

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Here's us last year:

Attachments

Zeke

Rank II

Enthusiast I

DFW
First Name
Ramey
Last Name
Burke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5GVZ
All the primitive campsites inside the park are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Meaning, you cant make reservations for those sites. You'll have to go to the Panther Junction Ranger station if you want one.

My recommendations for the best primitive campsites are:

1) Tally 4
2) Tally 3
3) Glen Springs 1

You can make reservations for the "normal" campsites located near the ranger stations at Chisos Basin, Cottonwood, and the Rio Grande. These are the best locations for RVs and civilized accommodations. Checkout recreation.gov

Outside the park, I highly recommend Rancho Topanga ( Rancho Topanga Campgrounds ) and Basecamp Terlingua ( Basecamp Terlingua )

Things not to miss checking out:

1. Santa Elena Canyon
2. Mariscal Mine
3. Ernst Tinja
4. Christmas Mountain (outside the park)

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Here's us last year:
Not the OP, but thanks for the suggestions. Your video was great too. That Power Wagon was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Damolokai

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Yep, all good suggestions. I was there couple weeks ago, too. Hike Emory Peak and the Lost Mine Trail. Soaking in the Hot Springs was great during the day, bet it’s better at night, especially if you can time it for a full moon.
+1 in seeing both Santa Elena Canyon and Boquillas.
We watched a sunset at Sotol Vista and then attended an evening ranger talk at Chisos Basin amphitheater.
Get into Terlingua for dinner at the Starlight Theater, too!