New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Pratt
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Anyone out there have experience with the small overland trailers in Big Bend? Have a trip coming up in Oct and a few of the folks have/want the small overlanding trailers, less than 8 feet I believe…
Looking at Chisos Basis if it helps. Rangers there weren’t much help FYI…

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Hey @Oldvolks I can help with this!
So each campsite in Chisos Basin only allows really two vehicles. 1-car & 1-trailer. The campsite hosts luckily allowed us to keep both our trailers at one site with one vehicle. I had to park my Jeep ~100-yds or so up in the overflow parking lot.
Here's a picture of that set-up.
IMG_5589 (1).JPG

I'd recommend getting multiple side-by-side spots.
From my experience, I'd suggest getting the sites noted by the green stars below first, then maybe the orange stars next. This way you can technically have 3 sites but can all group up in the middle for hanging out.
Big Bend Group Sites.JPG
Big Bend Group Sites 2.JPG
Note though that you're parking on asphalt, not dirt and not "within" the individual campsite.
There is some dispersed camping in the park though that I haven't done yet. Also, no real wood fires are allowed in the park, must be propane.

In October, the weather could be decent along the river. Cottonwood (was 100-deg at night in May 2022) campground was quite open and may be better suited for group camping.
However, Chisos Basin is by far the best campground of the three in the park. Best views, coolest temps, best facilities, etc. It's just not super good for groups of trailers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wallygator

boudain

Rank I

Enthusiast I

South Texas
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Lockett
Consider camping in the adjacent town Terlingua. That’s usually where I go for my BIBE trips. Lots of private, primitive, camping in that area can be found on AirBNB. Not ideal if you specifically want to be IN the park but less restrictions (ground fires, etc). Just something to think about. Either way enjoy the trip. It’s one of my favorite places to be!

Reactions: Oldvolks

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

just returned from the Big Bend area ... we pulled a 9ft trailer and did a drive through Chisos. Looks like you have gotten the best advice mentioned earlier. All I can say was that most of the sites seem to cater to tents but there were a few that would accommodate small trailers. We passed some back country sites along the Old Maverick Road north of Santa Elena Canyon that would cater to a group of small trailers nicely with without any amenities other than a bear box and a fire ring ( if permitted )> Terlingua Abuja sites. These sites were situated away from all the crowds at Chisos but lack amenities if that is what you are looking for. There are many others all thought out the park that the rangers could recommend Burt we didn't stop at any others. We stayed over in the Big Bend Ranch State Park and had it all to ourselves ! Enjoy your trip down there..... we sure did.