Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Hi All,

How quickly do the south Big Bear lake yellow post sites fill on weekends? Sites 25, 28, 29, 30. I want to go up early May for a weekend to shoot some astro photography and hike with friends but wont be able to leave west LA till 7pm friday night, so wont be up there till 9:30-10pm.

I want to minimze driving around the forest at night looking for open yellow posts. I know every weekend can be completely different and its pure luck but any info would help.

Cheers.

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Thanks, I was told/read somewhere dispersed camping wasn't allowed in areas with yellow post sites to stop people making 100000 dispersed sites where ever they want. I am clearly wrong.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

You might be correct, it is such a heavily trafficked area they may have restrictions. The ranger station or Adventure Center should be able to help you.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Thanks for this post, we have been visiting that area for decades. My in-laws had a house there for a number of years and we have camped the area but I never knew about these “yellow post” sites. I didn’t even know there was camping south of the lake. I have always wanted to follow the Old City Creek rd up to Clark’s Grade and then into the south side of the lake. Have you ever done that?

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

I have camped at the Pine Knot campground a few time to mountain bike at Snow Summit as it's a 2min bike ride from the bottom lift. Never bothered with yellow post/dispersed up there, which is what I usually do everywhere else.

I have done Burns Canyon Rd(2n02) and a few side trails off that, that's a great drive. Done a few of the blue trails to the north of the lake, nothing to crazy though. Clarks grade is on my list of trails to do in that area, looks like a good drive though.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Go stay in Holcomb Valley I have always found a place to camp it is dispersed camping and there are a lot of areas to explore. Be sure to get a permit for using a gas stove though. It is pretty easy to find a some what secluded spot there. Look for directions for rock climbing in Holcomb valley and grab a spot some place before you get to the climbing area. About a1/4 mile before the end of the road is a large meadow area you should be able to get a good view of the sky and a camping spots there.

The road is up scenic Van Dusen Canyon (3N09) which is a little rocky and sees a fair amount of traffic on the weekends.

Take Van Dusen Canyon Road (3N09) to it's end at a junction with 3N16 and make a left (heading west). Drive 0.6 miles, passing the Holcomb Valley Campground on the right. You might be able to reserve a site at the campgrounds too. If you want to skip the camp grounds and opt for free dispersed camping then pass the camp grounds and make a right onto 3N07. Drive north along 3N07 passing Wilburs Grave, and a Boy Scout Camp on the left until you can make a right which parallels a fence on the right side. Turn on this road (3N07) and start looking for an open spot to camp. The meadow area will be right there on you right side too beyond the fence. This is a wilderness area so be prepared accordingly.

GPS 34.29, -116.892 is the climbing area and you will want to look for a camping spot before you get to that area. Unless of course if you want to do some free climbing like me.

Here is a view looking down on the valley you can see the meadow to the right. To get this photo you will need to be able to rock climb to the top of the pinnacle. The holcomb valley camp grounds is on the far side of the meadow. Have a great time up there.

IMG_8637.JPG

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Go stay in Holcomb Valley I have always found a place to camp it is dispersed camping and there are a lot of areas to explore. Be sure to get a permit for using a gas stove though. It is pretty easy to find a some what secluded spot there. Look for directions for rock climbing in Holcomb valley and grab a spot some place before you get to the climbing area. About a1/4 mile before the end of the road is a large meadow area you should be able to get a good view of the sky and a camping spots there.

The road is up scenic Van Dusen Canyon (3N09) which is a little rocky and sees a fair amount of traffic on the weekends.

Take Van Dusen Canyon Road (3N09) to it's end at a junction with 3N16 and make a left (heading west). Drive 0.6 miles, passing the Holcomb Valley Campground on the right. You might be able to reserve a site at the campgrounds too. If you want to skip the camp grounds and opt for free dispersed camping then pass the camp grounds and make a right onto 3N07. Drive north along 3N07 passing Wilburs Grave, and a Boy Scout Camp on the left until you can make a right which parallels a fence on the right side. Turn on this road (3N07) and start looking for an open spot to camp. The meadow area will be right there on you right side too beyond the fence. This is a wilderness area so be prepared accordingly.

GPS 34.29, -116.892 is the climbing area and you will want to look for a camping spot before you get to that area. Unless of course if you want to do some free climbing like me.

Here is a view looking down on the valley you can see the meadow to the right. To get this photo you will need to be able to rock climb to the top of the pinnacle. The holcomb valley camp grounds is on the far side of the meadow. Have a great time up there.

View attachment 94512
Thanks, looks great up there.