Big Bear CA trip advice needed.

• HTML tutorial

Overbuild

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm headed out to Big Bear CA later this month for some back country exploring and dispersed camping. I've been searching threads and posts about interesting spots but not finding much. I'm also trying to decide on which vehicle (or both) if I want to include my big 33' rig or just stick with a 2x truck depending on condition of forest roads. (certainly not doing and hill climbs with my big rig, but clean grated dirt is no issue)

A) any advice or suggestion on road, trails or beautiful locations worthy of venturing\camping in Big Bear?
B) any advice on which roads would be doable with a large 33' rig or if that just nuts and I should stick with 2x truck.

thanks
K

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

When you say large do you mean full size? Tire size wont matter to much if your on fire fire roads. I would go with 4wheel drive because it might be a bit slippery with the little rain we just got. Most fire roads are full size friendly btw.

Overbuild

Rank 0

Traveler I

ya full size as in 33' class A motor home. certainly not 4x4 but I have taken it on some rough dirt roads. My issue is typically clearance. I doubt I will use it in this case.....

I still would love to hear from the overland community suggestions on worth places in Big Bear.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My first question is, how much "dirt road" time have you spent in your motor home? Next is what do you plan on exploring with?
The dirt road stuff is not very motor home friendly (subject to interpretation). There are a number of places you can stage from though off pavement. Park motor home and go explore if you have another vehicle. You can access most everything except the 4wd trails in a 2wd truck. If you've never been, I would suggest driving your truck around and see what you would be comfortable driving your motor home on. Basically do a scouting run first.
I've been going up there most of my life. I see small motor homes in some of the back areas. There's a few nice campgrounds as well as some nice primitive camps called "yellow posts". The people I have seen have towed something up to drive once their camped.
Good luck, you will have fun either way.

Scott

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Forgot to add.
Big bear has 3 main areas (sort of). Big bear lake area: Holcome Valley, Big pine flat and east. Baldwin lake area: Pretty much North and west. Last is the south side: San Gregornio area (spelling?). Loads of things to see and some nice camping spots.

Scott

Overbuild

Rank 0

Traveler I

My first question is, how much "dirt road" time have you spent in your motor home? Next is what do you plan on exploring with?
The dirt road stuff is not very motor home friendly (subject to interpretation). There are a number of places you can stage from though off pavement. Park motor home and go explore if you have another vehicle. You can access most everything except the 4wd trails in a 2wd truck. If you've never been, I would suggest driving your truck around and see what you would be comfortable driving your motor home on. Basically do a scouting run first.
I've been going up there most of my life. I see small motor homes in some of the back areas. There's a few nice campgrounds as well as some nice primitive camps called "yellow posts". The people I have seen have towed something up to drive once their camped.
Good luck, you will have fun either way.

Scott
Ya staging with the RV was originally a thought, but i think at this point I will just do truck and explore.

overland_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Simi Valley, CA
Member #

Wildhorse Meadows will be good for 2WD and has some dispersed camping. Plus, if you shoot then you can go to Lighting Gulch on the same road. Just got back.

Lots of dispersed camping in the Holcomb Valley area