Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I have had an issue with camping for a long time. My issue is that I can't get decent sleep due to the discomfort of my sleeping situation. I have tried sleeping pads, cots, full size air mattresses and hammocks. I was equally miserable in all scenarios. A little about me, I am 6'5" 245lbs with lower back issues and stenosis in my neck. Getting a good night of sleep is a challenge for me all the time.

I just got back from a 5 day trip with one of my daughters and our initial run with our Big Agnes bags and pads. These things are a game changer for me. I slept well every night. Someone asked my 12 yr old what her favorite part of the trip was and she said it was her sleeping bag. These things aren't cheap but I think they were a good investment.

I was sleeping in the Buffalo Park 40 degree bag with the Q core SLX. My daughter was in the Hog Park 20 degree back with the Q core deluxe. I am looking forward to trying out the sleeping bag liners, the memory foam pad cover and the memory foam pillow when they are all back in stock.

I bought the big agnes stuff hoping that it would make me less miserable. I never actually considered the possibility that it would make me comfortable.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Big Agnes makes solid gear. I use some of their gear for bikepacking. I have never slept so well while camping. My only complaint (which is my own fault) is that my air mattress has a leak I can't find after a trip with my dog. I can only assume he managed to create a hole. That aside, they have good tents, pads, and bags. I and strongly considering one of their bags for the integration of a pad sleeve to hold everything together

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

Yep I have a Big Agnes blow up mattress. It's the heavier duty one with insulation. It's pretty darn good and has held up well to use, which is pretty much throwing it on the dirt somewhere, no tent or ground tarp.
They are noisy when you toss or turn, but I think most inflatables are like that.

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I've been happy with everything from BA overall. I have one of their tents, I've had a couple of thier sleeping mattresses, and some other misc gear. The sleeping pads were comfy and warm but started to deflate overnight after some use. I returned them to REI and went to a therma-rest. Not as comfy but holds air all night. The BA pads are thick enough where you can comfortably sleep on your side, something I can't get comfy doing with the Therma-rest.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I've been happy with everything from BA overall. I have one of their tents, I've had a couple of thier sleeping mattresses, and some other misc gear. The sleeping pads were comfy and warm but started to deflate overnight after some use. I returned them to REI and went to a therma-rest. Not as comfy but holds air all night. The BA pads are thick enough where you can comfortably sleep on your side, something I can't get comfy doing with the Therma-rest.
Im a side sleeper all the way. Part of my issue with everything else I used. What kind of BA tent do you have?

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I've got a fly creek UL 2 man. Packs down super small and lightweight. I've been a hammock guy for the past few years though and haven't set that tent up in a long time...lol

If you're car camping then you can carry something larger. Maybe get a twin sized air mattress which will have plenty of thickness, alot more than the backpacking style mats.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Give hammock top quilts a look. I use extra wide, extra long sewn end top quilts from hammockgear. They are awesome. I like to flop around at night. I have a 40 degree and a 20 degree. I’m going to pick up an over stuffed 0 degree as well.

Reactions: soonersfan

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Give hammock top quilts a look. I use extra wide, extra long sewn end top quilts from hammockgear. They are awesome. I like to flop around at night. I have a 40 degree and a 20 degree. I’m going to pick up an over stuffed 0 degree as well.
I really wish I could do the hammock thing. My kids absolutely love them and we have a bunch of them. After a couple hours though my back will start killing me. I need a flat surface to sleep on.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
There is a trick to the back thing, try laying diagonally in the hammock, this makes it flat and believe it or not the right way to lay in them.

As for the top quilts, they have been used by ultra lightweight back packers for years and finally people are figuring out that normal sleeping bags lose their insulation on the bottom when its compressed so it’s just dead weight.

See if you can find a friend with a hammock top quilt and try it out for regular camping, they are so much more comfortable. No more mummy straight jacket feeling!

https://theultimatehang.com/2012/06/29/tips-for-pitch-perfect-hammock-camping/

Last edited:
Reactions: The other Sean