Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

I just had my BFG KO2's (315/70 17 "C" load rating) installed yesterday and I'd like to hear from some folks that run this tire. Max load/pressure is listed as 45 lbs on the sidewall. On the ride home I thought 45 lbs felt "loose" and over inflated but the tires are new to me. I read in a Jeep Gladiator forum that sevaral guys are running them in the mid to low 30's on the road and like the handling. I would appreciated hearing from someone with experience with these. Thanks!

Reactions: INVICTUS

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Do the chalk test. I have 315 KO2s and a E rated tires so not the same. I did the test unloaded and fully loaded with camping gear and toys. Those are my my pressures that I use. Go to Google and search chalk test there are a bunch.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Tire pressure is very subjective. For best tire wear you need to inflate them to where the tread wears evenly across 3/4 of the tire. Off road we run lower for comfort and the lower tire has a longer footprint for traction.

If this sounds vague it is. All of this is based not on pressure but what the tire is rated at in weight and what your vehicle weight is as well as what makes you happy. When I run an aftermarket tire, I start with the pressure the vehicle manufacture wants. This is found on a sticker normally on the driver door or door jamb.
From here there are several ways to gauge if you need to go up or down. The goal is to wear most of the way across the tread, different tread designs will vary.
1. Drive it and check when you rotate. this takes the longest.
2. Drive over dirt and a short trip on pavement. The tire will rub off the dust and you will see your footprint.
3. Buy some children's sidewalk chalk, the the big colored sticks that they can draw on concrete with. Cover as much of the tread area around the tire, one front and one rear. Drive straight a short distance and see what comes off.
4. There is a formula to determine the tire pressure. That gets you closer but, its still a starting point.

The problem here is, no one can really tell you what is best. If you talk to other people who have the same vehicle, same mod's, same tires, drive the same and actually know what their talking about, you will still only get an opinion and a possible starting point. They will normally be the closest.

My TJ had tires with a 3600# capacity @ 65# psi each. That's 14400# of support @ 65 psi on a 5000# vehicle. 30 psi gave me a good ride and good tire wear.
My Cruiser has 2600# tires @ 45 psi. Vehicle weight is 6k. 38psi works best there.
Both vehicles had a 35 psi door sticker and that's where I started.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Look at the door, inflate to the tire pressure it recommends, then go from there. I inflate to the recommended pressure usually.

Reactions: LumixLab

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Pressures on the tire are for maximum load rating. Empty I'd run closer to 30psi. The label on the truck door post is also for fully loaded weight but with stock rubber.

On the JT the weight on the rear axle is light enough empty you might want to go less than 30psi empty. But I doubt I would go less than 26psi on the street.

Last edited:
Reactions: LumixLab

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The door sticker is the max air pressure and weight carrying, information with the stock tires! The only way to know the best air pressure is the chalk test above in the other posts. Take and load your vehicle with all you gear, all persons going if you can. Do the chalk test as above. Then do the same when you’re vehicle is empty, like maybe back and forth to work. Do the chalk test again. That will give you the information you need for tire wear and traction! Vance.