Beyond 180 spare tire swing gate?

• HTML tutorial

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Vehicle is a 97 Chevy Suburban with barn doors.
Next up for my build is spit swing spare tire carrier. On one side I will put a ladder and vertical propane tank. On the Other side I will put the spare tire. The challenge that I am having is with my barn doors. To be clear I love the barn doors and went with this age of vehicle specifically for therm. One of the features of the barn doors is you can swing them completely open and a bit past 180. This allows full access into the back of the suburban. I am looking to design a swing out tire carrier that does not impede this feature and not having a lot of luck finding any examples. All of them go 180 which would mean that the doors would open even less than that. I suspect it will mean that I have to extend the bumper (around the corner) and put the spindle on this extended part. But I am just looking for examples of someone who has done this. Anyone out there?tire swing around the corner.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I haven't had to do that but your idea runs along the same line they used on the older S-10 Blazer swing out. The spindle was to the side of the tail light and the carrier cross bars, curved around to the back. This kept the tail light (pass side) from being blocked. It also got the swing out away from the tail gate.

I'm sure your aware of the amount of reinforcing your going to need there. When its open, the weight is going to pull down diagonal. If the center latch on the swing out isn't supported properly, the tire movement will make your spindle move front to back. When you gusset that side wing, make sure you reinforce for both directions.

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I haven't had to do that but your idea runs along the same line they used on the older S-10 Blazer swing out. The spindle was to the side of the tail light and the carrier cross bars, curved around to the back. This kept the tail light (pass side) from being blocked. It also got the swing out away from the tail gate.

I'm sure your aware of the amount of reinforcing your going to need there. When its open, the weight is going to pull down diagonal. If the center latch on the swing out isn't supported properly, the tire movement will make your spindle move front to back. When you gusset that side wing, make sure you reinforce for both directions.
I agree. That is probably why you don't see it a lot but also why I was hoping to see an example. :) Might have to start googling S-10 Blazer swing out and see If I can find a couple pictures.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I couldn't find a clear picture of what I was referring to. I've owned two of them. The difference was, they were mounted to the body. The tube had a (I think) almost a 90 degree bend as it came around. If you measured how far your rear door opens, you would set your spindle a few inch's behind it and out far enough so the tube wont hit the side of the vehicle when opened.

Bumper 1.jpgBumper 2.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'll snap some images tomorrow if I remember, of the swing arm tire carrier on my trailer, which stops at 180 only because of a welded-on tab. Otherwise it would swing further and eventually hit the rear fender step on the trailer side.

I wonder if something like this might work for you, too:

tire-carrier-swing-arm-heim joints.jpg

It's made with Heim Joints, and is from this page at offroadfabnet.com.

Might be something else in that thread, too, that will give you ideas.

Here's a pinterest page with several ideas for swing out tire carriers.

I'm looking to do something for my GMC van (so I can use the under body spare tire space for a 'basement' accessible from inside the van) so am interested in what you figure out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Widgeonmangh

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Thanks guys, when I get to the project I will definitely post my process and the results! Not starting it right away. My build is kind of slow motion depending on funds. :)

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey @Widgeonmangh -

Snapped some images for you this morning of the swing-out tire carrier setup on my trailer, for what it's worth in designing something for yourself.

tire-carrier_6048-900.jpeg

The welded-on tab on the upper arm, in the middle under the diagonal brace, keeps the swing-out from swinging in too far when closed and keeps the two bars parallel.

The welded-on tab at the right end of the lower bar keeps the swing arm from swinging more than 180. If it were not there, the swing arm would easily go as far as allowed, until it hit the right rear fender.
If the tab were modified/relocated, it could be easily made to swing further than 180 but stop where you want.

The whole assembly, swing arm bar and lower bar, mounts into two of the three 2" square receivers that are welded to the rear of the trailer frame.

Here are a few other views, including one of it closed with the hitch pin through, which is kept by a simple cotter pin.

tire-carrier_6050-700.jpeg......tire-carrier_6052-700.jpeg

tire-carrier_6054-700.jpeg......tire-carrier_6060-700.jpeg

Hope these are helpful or give you an idea of what else is possible when you get to doing something for your setup. If you need any other info or images, let me know.

Time to get to work on my own rig and do some maintenance and painting!

Reactions: Widgeonmangh

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Awesome. Thanks for the pictures. Keeping it simple! I like that. My buddy is going to do the fab work for me so I will be showing him all the pictures!

thanks again.

Reactions: Road

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
Here is a video link to the Bomb Proof spindle that Victory 4x4 uses on there Adventure carriers. I have that same bumper and carriers from them and they are stellar. Bomb Proof Spindle Install For some reason you might have to back up the video to the beginning to see the install.

Reactions: Road