Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

I am looking for a place to disperse camp between Denver and the Bonneville Salt Flats. This August we are doing across county trip from Tampa to the Red Woods we meeting friends in denver that have a vw golf. Their car is not equipped for any big offroading (or any really) but we can beat it up a little. What can you all recommend? looking for a place about 4-5 hours from denver on the way to the salt flats.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I am looking for a place to disperse camp between Denver and the Bonneville Salt Flats. This August we are doing across county trip from Tampa to the Red Woods we meeting friends in denver that have a vw golf. Their car is not equipped for any big offroading (or any really) but we can beat it up a little. What can you all recommend? looking for a place about 4-5 hours from denver on the way to the salt flats.
The iOverlanding app lists a couple spots overlooking the Colorado National Monument area from inside the McInnis Canyon National Forest. This is about 4 hours west of Denver.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@btedesign
...looking for a place about 4-5 hours from denver on the way to the salt flats.
Here is a map I put together showing Drive time form Denver in 1, 2, 3, and 4 hour rings.
1-2-3-4hourDrive.png

I also have attached the Kml plot I used for another 6 hour ring in case you have a heavy foot. So far I've found these maps fairly accurate. (IE I can usually head down, pick up friends in Denver, and make Moab in 6 hours. you'll see that Moab is just outside of the 6hour ring.)

Not camp sites specifically but should help you narrow your search pattern.

Boort

Attachments

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Do you plan to take I-70 to US6 as your route or are you open to "other". As that travel circle is going to drop you in the desert after 4-5 hours out of Denver. Might not be your most desirable spot in August. All comes down to what you like. You may want to look at taking US40 as a slower but higher altitude route up to SLC. It would give you some more comfortable temperatures for camping. Plus off the main traffic pathway. Could look at Dinosaur National Monumnet area as a far reach but honestly that can be hot too. Steamboat Springs might be a little close. But a night soaking in the Stawberry Hot Spring might be nice.