Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
So back in February '21 I started this infamous thread: Trying to select the correct vehicle for first overland build and ended up buy a Colorado ZR2 Bison in Black. Name is partially a tribute to my dad, who sadly did not live to see this truck (he named his old Silverado Betty, presumably after Betty Grable). Here she is bone stock (actually I think it's got the stubby antenna):

3221088.jpg
(Yes I paid Killboy for my Tail of the Dragon photos lol).

The Plan
I've broken the build down into 4 phases, but some stuff will probably happen out of order (esp phase 3). Italic indicates it's done, crossout means I changed my mind, optional means I'm undecided on it and feedback is always welcome (for all items).

Phase 1 (done): Sleep
* Leitner ACS Forged (done)
* Roofnest Falcon

I had a lot of debate about RTT vs cab. I decided to play it pretty safe with this part of the build. I went Leitner ACS Forged because it was hands down the strongest rack I could find for the Colorado, and I like all the accessories (expensive though!). I know everybody puts this on their build, but now I can see why. Pretty happy with my choice, the RTT has only minimally impacted handling and had no effect on MPG under 65 (over 70 its 1-1.5 MPG hit). Overall, MPG with this truck has been fantastic (way over EPA, I'd say 21/20/18 highway/average/city).

Phase 2: Electronics
* PowerTray
* SwitchPro (?)
* 20" LED bar
* LED fog lights
* Ditch lights (optional)
* Camp lights
* Compressor (ARB twin air compressor?) probably in engine bay using prefab bracket
* Backup lights
* Bigger battery (might wait till the OEM one dies, might not)

Everybody complains about the lights on the Colorado, but for city driving they're perfectly fine. Don't want to mess with the LED drop in headlights since, as far as I can tell, they're technically not street legal and it's just another thing to fail. I want to keep this as stock as reasonably achievable. I'm going to see how the spill is with LED fog lights, but I will prob do ditch lights (used to think they were silly until I drove on an gravel road with a drop off at night).

Phase 3: Camp/Storage
* 270 awning (Eezi-Awn or Alu-Cab?)
* Decked (highly optional)
* GearPod XL (done)
* GearPod (optional)
* Rotopack carriers
* Tailgate improvements for cooking (optional)
* Rear seat delete (highly optional).
* Shower (optional)

This phase will probably change a lot as I use the truck more. For example after my first trip I cooked in the rain and on my second trip I had to sit in the sun, so I added the awning. Pressurized water would be great to hose off after running and do dishes (but I don't want some behemoth mounted on the truck either). I really really really don't want to do Decked since its 205 lbs for drawers, but lockable storage is a bit at a premium (although theres a ton of space in the rear of the cab). I've got it in my weight budget but would love to not need it. Might also pull the rear seats out, but for now, just putting them down yields a ton of storage.

Phase 4: Performance
* 33s or 35s
* AEV Highmark fenders (or maybe just the 33 kit)
* Nitro 4.10 or 4.56 kit
* Level kit (Chevy Performance?)
* Winch (optional)
* Leaf spring (optional)

This phase might be totally unnecessary. I have no idea if I'll really need to go big on tires, but this is on my radar. Definitely going to run out the bumper to bumper warranty first. Kind of undecided on the winch but since I'll likely do quite a bit solo (or with my buddy in a Crosstrek), it might be worth it for the piece of mind.

Here is how she sits now (May '21):
PXL_20210520_134112039.jpg

Please let me know your experiences with your Colorado and any aspects of the build!

Last edited:

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
I don't want to get too much into my sleep setup (there are tons of videos on youtube on how to install this rack, it's pretty simple)

Here are a couple of pics with just the rack:
PXL_20210508_223523683.jpg
PXL_20210508_234722817.jpg

Honestly not a bad solution if you want to just carry a bunch of stuff; Gear pod, traction, water, etc. I have seen a few builds use this without a tent.

Getting the tent on required 3 people, although you could probably get by with two (Roofnest Falcon is only 140 lbs, but its also ~7' long so it's kind of a big lever). Was able to get some vaccinated friends together to help, but I'm 100% leaving it on year round (no impact to my normal driving MPG). It does slightly hurt the handling, but not enough that I care. Takes corners well, but I feel like bumps are *slightly* harsher.

Here is the full setup during a shakedown trip to New River Gorge:
PXL_20210526_001327669.jpg

Took it on one of the OHV trails there (actually I think it's not even technically OHV, but it would be a bit much for most cars): https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/west-virginia/new-river-gorge-off-road-trail

Roofnest is very comfortable and I love the headroom. I know there have been some mixed reports on quality but I can't comment yet. It does seem fine in the rain. Overall, I absolutely love the setup/takedown time: 10s to set up, 1 minute to take down (assuming its already empty).

Last edited:

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Looks good!

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
Looks good!
Thanks, yours is looking good too! What made you go ham vs GRMS? I used to run an unlocked Yaesu but saw the FCC has been cracking down so I don't transmit on the GRMS frequencies. I know its a small chance of getting caught but the fines are massive.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Thanks, yours is looking good too! What made you go ham vs GRMS? I used to run an unlocked Yaesu but saw the FCC has been cracking down so I don't transmit on the GRMS frequencies. I know its a small chance of getting caught but the fines are massive.
I've been a ham since 2005 so it's what I do anyway to be honest with you.

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
I've been a ham since 2005 so it's what I do anyway to be honest with you.
Makes sense. I'm a ham too but I've fallen out with it after several apartments with bad EMI issues. I didn't even include it here but I may eventually install a GRMS or ham radio. I really wish they had a dual licenced option!

love where this is going, cant wait to see the progress. welcome to the twin family
Thanks! I love it! A few minor complaints (biggest one being that GM cheaped out on the breathers after 2019) but overall exactly what I was looking for!

Reactions: RJCanyon

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
love the "phased" approach
Thanks! Had a great fall/winter/spring and have been slowly buying all the electronics to install for the summer project. Gonna do switches, lights and radio soon! Definitely slightly intimidated.

I still can't decide on an awning though. There were a couple afternoons in the desert where it would have been nice but I've been pretty lucky with weather so far.