Launch Member

Contributor I

Phelan California
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Holley
Member #

Alright so I have an issue with my tires. My front tires have an unusual wear pattern on them. If you run your hand down the center of the tire you can feel that the tread has worn back and forth on the tires. This wear pattern has now caused a drastic shake in the front. I think this wear pattern has something to do with my allignment. Either way im debating about trying to get a longer lasting tire that doesn't wear as fast. I currently have Gerneral AT2. Is there a harder tire out there that doesn't wear as quickly? I use my truck as a commuter daily as well as off road almost every weekend. Any suggestions out there for a longer lasting tire? Just for reference I am currently running 265/75/R16 on my 2008 4Runner.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Alright so I have an issue with my tires. My front tires have an unusual wear pattern on them. If you run your hand down the center of the tire you can feel that the tread has worn back and forth on the tires. This wear pattern has now caused a drastic shake in the front. I think this wear pattern has something to do with my allignment. Either way im debating about trying to get a longer lasting tire that doesn't wear as fast. I currently have Gerneral AT2. Is there a harder tire out there that doesn't wear as quickly? I use my truck as a commuter daily as well as off road almost every weekend. Any suggestions out there for a longer lasting tire? Just for reference I am currently running 265/75/R16 on my 2008 4Runner.
It's been a long time since I was a mechanic, but iirc scalloping as it sounds like you may be describing is generally caused by either worn shocks or misadjusted shocks(underdamped?). Even if I'm not remembering correctly I wouldn't spend any money on new tires until the suspension issue is properly diagnosed and repaired. Damping is critical in traction as it's what keeps the tire in contact with the ground/pavement.

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

It's been a long time since I was a mechanic, but iirc scalloping as it sounds like you may be describing is generally caused by either worn shocks or misadjusted shocks(underdamped?). Even if I'm not remembering correctly I wouldn't spend any money on new tires until the suspension issue is properly diagnosed and repaired. Damping is critical in traction as it's what keeps the tire in contact with the ground/pavement.
I second this!

Nicholas Holley

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phelan California
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Holley
Member #

I put a toytec 3 inch lift on the truck around the same time I put the tires on, I didnt get an allignment could that be the problem or do I need to check and see if there is some type of setting I'm missing on the coil over? It sounds like you may be on the right track judging by what I'm feeling when im driving. maybe stiffen the shocks?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I put a toytec 3 inch lift on the truck around the same time I put the tires on, I didnt get an allignment could that be the problem or do I need to check and see if there is some type of setting I'm missing on the coil over? It sounds like you may be on the right track judging by what I'm feeling when im driving. maybe stiffen the shocks?
If' you've installed a lift you should go get an alignment. Likely something is out of spec causing the accelerated wear.(First guess would be toe) After the alignment if I were you I'd work on adjusting my tire pressure to more evenly load the tires. Around 95% of the time the best pressure for street use will fall between what's on your door sticker, and the max cold inflation listed on the side of your tires. If it happens to fall outside that range that's OK, so long as you verify that the tire width and rim width are compatible. Also note that it's not uncommon for a vehicle to need slightly different tire pressure front and rear once loaded and out in the real world.

Tire chalk video to determine proper inflation. NSFW for some due to bad audio(wind and unneeded cursing).

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Yes, you definitely need to get an alignment after lifting. If I remember correctly, that type of wear is due to the toe being off.

Get that thing aligned before getting new tires.

Nicholas Holley

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phelan California
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Holley
Member #

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry it took me so long to respond.... computer took a crap on me. I got the truck aligned and the difference is crazy. The toe was WAY out. It is so much better now.

Reactions: StuntmanMike