Best Trasharoo Mod Ever

• HTML tutorial

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Looks like it leaves a bit of wasted space at the bottom of the bag. We typically come back with the trasharoo completely stuffed full. Nice idea though.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
This guy has it all wrong. The Trasharoo goes IN the trash can. Not the other way around. Best mod I ever did to mine.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I am not sure where I saw this before, but I did this "mod" for my trips this spring and summer. It works amazing. I line the trash can with a bigger trash bag and when the trip is done - BAM!

Attachments

Reactions: Haust

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Do you use something else?
No I do not use anything else. As “overlandy” and “cool” as this piece of equipment is, in California it is simply an animal attractant. Actually keeping trash in it for a whole trip is asking for animals ranging from chipmunks all the way to bears. I’ve heard all of the arguments regarding taking it off at night, etc., etc. Those things are a complete PITA to get on and off. We all know it. Some (perhaps most) are just willing to put up with more frustration than I am.

I did however keep other stuff in the Trasharoo I previously had. Unfortunately, the complete lack of UV stability means this was a 1.5 year product for me. I’ve not replaced it with a superior product as of yet simply to encourage myself to haul less “stuff” with me on my trips.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

No I do not use anything else. As “overlandy” and “cool” as this piece of equipment is, in California it is simply an animal attractant. Actually keeping trash in it for a whole trip is asking for animals ranging from chipmunks all the way to bears. I’ve heard all of the arguments regarding taking it off at night, etc., etc. Those things are a complete PITA to get on and off. We all know it. Some (perhaps most) are just willing to put up with more frustration than I am.

I did however keep other stuff in the Trasharoo I previously had. Unfortunately, the complete lack of UV stability means this was a 1.5 year product for me. I’ve not replaced it with a superior product as of yet simply to encourage myself to haul less “stuff” with me on my trips.
That makes sense. I purchased one a few months ago however haven't used it yet; I have a bike rack on my spare that has to be dismantled before I can hook the bag on.

We have bears here in Florida also, hell I have bears in my yard on a weekly basis! Camping I put the garbage in the air in a bucket with a lid. I figured the bag would be a good way to drive home without the perfume of a good weekend getting absorbed inside the vehicle over time. But I didn't consider that the bag itself would absorb smells then that become the animal magnet...

Either way, it'll be useful for something.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I just put a ratchet strap around the tire when I put on the Trasharoo, it holds it in place while I hook up the straps. Takes 5 mins tops. I don't drive around with mine on 24/7 so UV issues haven't been a problem. I live in California also, and have never had an issue with rodents getting into it and I sure don't want to stink up my vehicle with the smell of garbage. For the price, it does the job. We use a full size garden variety hefty bag in ours, and I leave it outside for a day or so after a trip for any residual odors.
To each their own, it works for me.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I tried to stick a 38l trash can into my Trasheroo and there was plenty of space all around. Was thinking of finding something that is just as deep but with a divider for normal trash and recyclables.

Reactions: dstock