Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

Thank you clarifying where Falken was made. I really must have missed that chapter. I do hear people liking their Falken tires. It was OXOverlanders YouTube video were he popped two Falken AT3W on one trail.

I'm still leaning to American Made: In order of likelihood of buying....
General Grabbers M/T X3
Toyo R/T
BFG KM3

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Cooper / Mastercraft.

American made, American owned.

Sort of true, Cooper has 2 plants in China, 1 in Mexico and at least 1 in Europe, probably more.

They are however American owned and I think most of the tires sold in the American market are in fact made here.

I've never been a fan, but I know people who are, and more than ever in our lifetimes "MADE IN AMERICA" should be the first thing an American consumer looks for on a product today.

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
Cannot go wrong with BF Goodrich K02's
Good MPG/not much road noise/M&S-mountain rated/Not to aggressive tread pattern
You will like them

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Cannot go wrong with BF Goodrich K02's
Good MPG/not much road noise/M&S-mountain rated/Not to aggressive tread pattern
You will like them

Not all of the Ko2s are 3 peak rated based on my research. That was part of the reason I went with the Wildpeaks.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I think it is very wise to be "picky" about the tires we have on our vehicles. Since most of our vehicles sit higher, on taller tires than a passenger car, the risk of having a cheaply made tire blow-out while at highway speeds is too much for me. I believe in the past, there have been tires (American made probably, so long ago) implicated in deadly roll-overs.

Not gonna "bash" on any country in particular, but if people find a certain model of tire not holding up to their expectations, it is smart to discern which model and which factory to stay away from it.

Unfortunately, when things are made in the cheapest place possible, there is a risk of certain core components being adulterated or omitted which could lead to the same prod

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Not all of the Ko2s are 3 peak rated based on my research. That was part of the reason I went with the Wildpeaks.
Didn't know that. The KO2's on my truck are 3Peak rated, they do very well in foul weather.
My Toyo M/T's were kinda scary in foul weather, but at that point they were dry-rotted and cracking, so I doubt they would be so bad when new. The Toyo's lasted so long and the tread looked so good after 50K miles I had to replace them solely due to dry-rotting. I believe they were 10+ years old at that point.

Reactions: 702FJC

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Didn't know that. The KO2's on my truck are 3Peak rated, they do very well in foul weather.
My Toyo M/T's were kinda scary in foul weather, but at that point they were dry-rotted and cracking, so I doubt they would be so bad when new. The Toyo's lasted so long and the tread looked so good after 50K miles I had to replace them solely due to dry-rotting. I believe they were 10+ years old at that point.
There is a huge difference in tread compounds between at/mt/ht and different manufacturers.

Additionally most Mt tires are completely devoid of siping which makes them less prone to chipping, but generally downright dangerous when in snow.

Also as the tire ages the compound will harden, exacerbating an already bad situation where snow (or really any) traction is concerned

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
There is a huge difference in tread compounds between at/mt/ht and different manufacturers.

Additionally most Mt tires are completely devoid of siping which makes them less prone to chipping, but generally downright dangerous when in snow.

Also as the tire ages the compound will harden, exacerbating an already bad situation where snow (or really any) traction is concerned
Yup, M/T + dry-rot = scary times in the winter