Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Another vote for KO2s; they're awesome. No complaints on or off the road.

I had Cooper Discoverers before the BFGs, I forget the specific model number but they weren't too bad for a less-aggressive tire.
I would try the KO2s, if only they made them in a 255/85/16

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Another vote for Wildpeak AT3W's! I got them in the P rated and they have a double wrapped sidewall so plenty tough. 3 peak rated and very quiet on the highway. Around 50 pounds for the 285/70/17 in P rated. Only knock is the tread doesn't look that deep but that's one of the tradeoffs to saving a lot of weight over the LT. No regrets.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
I can no longer recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT3W unfortunately. I had a tire replaced (made in Taiwan all 5 that I bought a few months ago) with a made in CHINA tire from Discount tire.

A sharp stick/needle made its way through the sidewalk Saturday and they got the replacement in..... the tread spacing is a bit larger than the Taiwan tires too. That doesn't really bother me but not liking rolling on Chinese tires!

Attachments

BBrennan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

Joe,
I going have to agree with you. I was watching another Overlander channel. He has a white GX470 that he turned into a outstanding looking Overlander. On his last outing he blew two WildPeaks AT3W on the trail. So, Wildpeaks are off my list.

Reactions: 702FJC

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
I feel like I'm stuck since my original tires are now being replaced by Chinese tires under warranty. Not sure what to do

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
No I was ready to get out of there after they replaced the wrong tire with the new one and left the damaged tire on my rig lol

The manager did give me a free certificate on the new Chinese tire so no cost out of pocket. That was great customer service.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I switched to Cooper Discovery AT/3s for our F250 about 4 years ago. Had KO2's liked them but they wore out in about 20,000 miles. Had them rotated every 3,000 miles and even had them flipped on the rims. Out truck was 2wd at the time.

Coopers are quiet, work great on road and off. We now have about 25,000 on them and 40% tread still.

ALTHOUGH - I did put two new Copper AT3XLTs on the back in December as we were going to Baja for 10 days. Thought the rears needed more traction for the trip.

Worked great.

On another idea. Tire road hazard certs with America's Tire (same as Discount Tire) , I never bought them - ever! But when we started off road camping I decided I would get them for the truck tires. I have used them 3 times now saving us a good amount of money. Twice the side walls were cut from rocks while off road, they had no issues and just replaced them no questions asked. All you pay is for a cert for the new tire and mounting. The best part is life time rotation with re-balancing of each tire for free everytime and I do it every 2,500 to 3,000 miles.

We got a new (one size up) AT3XLT for an older AT3 that we got side wall damage on in Baja. I went from 285/70 17s to 285/75-17s with the AT3XLTson the rears.

BBrennan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Brennan
Member #

No I was ready to get out of there after they replaced the wrong tire with the new one and left the damaged tire on my rig lol

The manager did give me a free certificate on the new Chinese tire so no cost out of pocket. That was great customer service.
Which brand do you mean when you say Chinese tires or what brand are they unloading on you. I do use Discount tire in Henderson, NV. Thx

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I can no longer recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT3W unfortunately. I had a tire replaced (made in Taiwan all 5 that I bought a few months ago) with a made in CHINA tire from Discount tire.

A sharp stick/needle made its way through the sidewalk Saturday and they got the replacement in..... the tread spacing is a bit larger than the Taiwan tires too. That doesn't really bother me but not liking rolling on Chinese tires!
Dang.

That is very disappointing to hear.

I wonder if Falken will see what is happening and go back to Taiwan.

Alternatively, I may switch back to BFG.

Reactions: 702FJC

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Which brand do you mean when you say Chinese tires or what brand are they unloading on you. I do use Discount tire in Henderson, NV. Thx
Falken wild peak AT3W .....used to be made in Thaland now they're made in China. Falken must have decided to save money and go to China with their manufacturing but it will cost them a lot of sales.

The management at my Discount tire has always been great by the way. The young guns they have busting tires and balancing them can be hit or miss though lol.

Also the Thai tires all have 2 ounces of weight and the Chicom tire has 5 ounces!

Last edited:
Reactions: SquishBang

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Falken wild peak AT3W .....used to be made in Thaland now they're made in China. Falken must have decided to save money and go to China with their manufacturing but it will cost them a lot of sales.

The management at my Discount tire has always been great but the way. The young guns they have busting tires and balancing them can be hit or miss though lol.
That is disappointing to here. I just switched to Falken Wild Peaks a couple of months ago. Too new to switch out, but once its time I may have to look for a different brand.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

For the record on Chinese products.

If a manufacture PERSONALLY manages (sends mangers to China to live) to over see the production of their products "daily" with on site people. Then Chinese manufacturing planting can make a good product.

But they need to test every material that comes into the factory first to make sure it is the right stuff, over see every step of the production and do it every day.

They also need to hope all the trained employees that know how to do their job correctly come back to work after each National holiday in China. Other wise there is a 2 to 3 month retraining needed.

It is a lot of work to have things made correctly every day in China.