• HTML tutorial

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

Hey everybody!

I'm graduating college this April, and considering getting into overland. I've got a 2008 Scion xB, as my daily driver, and you'd be shocked by where I've taken it. But as I get a little more disposable income, I've been considering getting a second vehicle that is actually reasonably capable.

Looking for:
Cheap: This is a second car, so something I can buy cash for under 5,000-6,000.

Reliable: I wish I was better at wrenching, but I live in an apartment complex and don't have much experience beyond replacing simple parts. Also, something that isn't garunteed to leave me on the trail during my first trip.

Decent on the road: I live in Provo Utah, and I want to be able to get to Moab/Southern Utah (about 3 hours) without too much discomfort.

What is my best bet? I've considered an XJ, or a Suzuki samurai. I'd love the reliability of a 4-runner or Tacoma, but I don't want to pay the Tacoma Tax.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There are a lot of old Jeeps that would be in your price range (e.g. Grand Cherokees, XJs, etc.). You mentioned that you were still learning how to wrench, you may want to consider picking up a vehicle for a couple grand under your price range and take it as an opportunity to build something and brush up your skills. I own a Jeep so I'm biased but the parts are cheap and plentiful (e.g. if you think the part is too expensive at your local auto parts store, Amazon and Ebay will be your best friend if you don't mind waiting for shipping).

Also, there are a few individuals on this forum that do some crazy stuff with unconventional overland vehicles. Heck, we even threw an Overland Bound sticker on my girlfriend's 2001 Mercedes C320. It's not what you drive, it's what you do with it! You could probably take a pretty sick road trip on $5-6k with your Scion. :tongueout:

Reactions: Miguel Garcia

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I agree, I'd try to find something in that $4K range to give you some mobility for learning and upgrading. One blog you may want to check out is East Coast Overland Adventures. He has a Facebook site and is very budget minded. He runs a trimmed down, just past stock XJ and has made some LONG trips in it. Might give you some inspiration.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

2nd gen 4runners are the least appreciated, but with a 22re and a 5 speed transmission they are great. It will get you where you need to go, is very dependable, easy to find parts and there are a million forums out there about how to do literally anything you could imagine to it. It will get 20+ mpg as well, but lacks power. With low range, you have all the torque you need though!

Reactions: Misfit_Cruiser
E

expeditionnorth

jeep is probably the best bang for the buck

lots of used parts and accessories out there to be found

makes modding one all that cheaper

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I really miss my Samurai l. Honestly, if it provides enough room, it might be a good option. They are insanely easy to work on, and their relatively low prices would allow you to buy a $2500 vehicle and have a shop put $3000 into guaranteeing it ran well (and even out of an apartment, you could easily do a lot of that work yourself, and save the rest for tires and other mods).

Of course, you would largely be limited to pretty primitive camping either solo or with one other person, haha. "Samurai" and "Overland" and "Comfort" certainly don't belong in the same sentence! lol.

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

Yeah, That is the reason I'm leaning toward the XJ. Not huge, but big enough that 4 people could do an overnight camping trip without running out of space. I'm not thinking anything too crazy. I'll probably find one with less than 150k, and a strong engine. 2-4 inch lift, and good tires. I'll be fine with open difs. I'm looking for a camping/adventure vehicle, not a rock crawler.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Preston, it does sound like you know what you need out of a rig!

To be fair, I also wouldnt take a 3rd Gen 4Runner out of the equation, for all the same reasons. Last weekend the wife and I slept in our 5th Gen 4runner with 155lbs of dogs lol. We left the hatch open this time and pulled out the sliding tray, but we have slept in there without the dogs, and the hatch closed, with me sleeping at an angle (I am 5-10 or so; I imagine 5'7 would be the max height for sleeping parallel).

Reactions: Misfit_Cruiser

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

Preston, it does sound like you know what you need out of a rig!

To be fair, I also wouldnt take a 3rd Gen 4Runner out of the equation, for all the same reasons. Last weekend the wife and I slept in our 5th Gen 4runner with 155lbs of dogs lol. We left the hatch open this time and pulled out the sliding tray, but we have slept in there without the dogs, and the hatch closed, with me sleeping at an angle (I am 5-10 or so; I imagine 5'7 would be the max height for sleeping parallel).
I'm 6'2', so I've consigned myself to a fate of sleeping in tents and hammocks, so length isn't an issue for me, just storage/passenger space. I love the 3rd gen 4-Runner, (especially the reliability that comes with it) but is there a chance of me getting a decent one around my $5,000 budget? I'm shopping in Utah, and every Tacoma/4-runner seems to be priced higher than that.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

For the budget you have I'd say a Cherokee would be awesome.. You can find one around 2500 and have plenty of money to do initial maintenance and even a few mods...

Reactions: Lindenwood

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

The older Cherokee has a bulletproof motor and good reliability along with a decent amount of room for not a lot of money. I love them.. If I didn't have my truck I'd be looking for one.