Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
My wife got me a Tacticool for Christmas, also with the green can adaptor. Here is me using it for the first time.
We have one of the Ignik ammo can firepits, and I know how fast it goes through my 5lb tank .... did you figure out how much burn time are you getting out of the little green bottles?

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

My wife got me a Tacticool for Christmas, also with the green can adaptor. Here is me using it for the first time.
We have one of the Ignik ammo can firepits, and I know how fast it goes through my 5lb tank .... did you figure out how much burn time are you getting out of the little green bottles?
I have ran it for about 30 minutes and have about a half a can. I keep it low, I am sure if I crank it up it would burn through the can quickly.

Reactions: OTH Overland

CJTherapy

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Port Hadlock, Wa
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7PDR
I'm looking for a reliable propane firepit that is easy to set up, highly reliable/durable, and fairly compact (will fit inside my 4Runner) for an upcoming trip to Baja (Pacific side). The Little Red Campfire looks promising. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks much in advance.
We got the Lavabox last year and it's great. Highly recommend taking a look if you want compact and reliable. Bonus: if you get one of the accessories you can also use it as a secondary cook surface.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

We got the Lavabox last year and it's great. Highly recommend taking a look if you want a compact and reliable one. Bonus: if you get one of the accessories, you can also use it as a secondary cook surface.
So far most I have used are reliable. The big difference is space. That is why I downscaled to a Tacicool. I carry a small wood fire pit, so carrying both a wood and a larger gas was a pain. So far I have not seen any problems, it is a simple design, and everything fits into the can. I liked Taticool because the price was reasonable compared to others.

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

We hav had the small camp chef fire pit for years, works well, only problem is all the lava rock will end up in the bag if it gets tipped during transport. not a problem in our larger rigs, but not so good when we carry it in our spare tire trash bag in the JK, for that we went with the Ignik FireCan ammo box style. works well for the two of us, but not for a group. (we did upgrade it with some lava rock and the heat is much better. )

View attachment 237312View attachment 237311
+1 on the Ignik. I love it, my wife loves it, just enough for two. Make sure you know what your expectations are! It's no raging fire like a pomoly stove and going to keep you warm in -20 with wind! It will however take the edge off and add the ambiance! I would also recommend a bigger regulator for a larger burn. Cooked steaks on this with a rack on the top (amazon rack was 19 bux).

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
+1 on the Ignik. I love it, my wife loves it, just enough for two. Make sure you know what your expectations are! It's no raging fire like a pomoly stove and going to keep you warm in -20 with wind! It will however take the edge off and add the ambiance! I would also recommend a bigger regulator for a larger burn. Cooked steaks on this with a rack on the top (amazon rack was 19 bux).
We added some leftover lava rock from our backyard fire pit and it made a huge difference to the amount of heat and the quality of the flames

Reactions: velo47 and Mtnmn99

NM95Bronco

Rank III

Member I

First Name
greg
Last Name
green
Member #

Nice tip. I will have to do that, thank you kind sir!

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Used to use the Outland Fire Cube but recently switched over to my homemade ammo can firepit. Super compact. Lots of heat.
How well do the lava rocks work? Do they retain heat and help to warm things up a bit with a lower flame?

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
20230722_194406.jpg
Building your own with Amazon ceramic rocks and quick disconnect parts is super easy (if you have a welder, and not tooo hard if you just bend some metal)

Mikderf

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

California
First Name
Fred
Last Name
K
Member #

Used to use the Outland Fire Cube but recently switched over to my homemade ammo can firepit. Super compact. Lots of heat.
How well do the lava rocks work? Do they retain heat and help to warm things up a bit with a lower flame?
The Firecube is using lava rocks and the ammo can is using ceramic rocks. Not sure how well either retain heat. But they're both good for dispersing the heat.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I second making your own! Not too hard. $12 ammo can, high temp paint, 3/8” copper tubing that you poke holes, and make it simple or fancy as needed. I splurged on rounded lava rock.
I painted the top silver to match the grating. My wife said it looked like a pumpkin :-)

F332FBD9-CE44-420A-86A4-18218DB11ED3.jpeg97938B63-C51C-4CF9-BAB9-633F742A534A.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Speric

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I second making your own! Not too hard. $12 ammo can, high temp paint, 3/8” copper tubing that you poke holes, and make it simple or fancy as needed. I splurged on rounded lava rock.
I painted the top silver to match the grating. My wife said it looked like a pumpkin :-)

View attachment 269003
Where do I place my order? :D

Reactions: PapaDave

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Gonna be making my own this weekend. I opted to order the tacticool (though I think that's a dumb name, unless he's intentionally poking fun, then good on him) diy kit.

It'll be here Thursday, so I should have the firepit up and running Friday night.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

We hav had the small camp chef fire pit for years, works well, only problem is all the lava rock will end up in the bag if it gets tipped during transport. not a problem in our larger rigs, but not so good when we carry it in our spare tire trash bag in the JK, for that we went with the Ignik FireCan ammo box style. works well for the two of us, but not for a group. (we did upgrade it with some lava rock and the heat is much better. )

View attachment 237312View attachment 237311
Does the firecan accept 1 lb propane?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Does the firecan accept 1 lb propane?
Not out of the box, it has a regulator with the newer quick thread fitting for larger bottles, however you can get an adapter that will let you use a 1lb bottle on any standard BBQ / Fire pit. I carry one in the rig just in case. We get about 3 nights from a 5lb bottle with it set to about mid point on the regulator. maybe 1.5 to 2 hours each night for reference of how much fuel it will use.1700626684957.png

Reactions: Outdoordog