Best shovel/axe mount for roof rack?

• HTML tutorial
Anybody have any recommendations for a shovel and/or axe mount for a roof rack? I am having my rack custom fabricated. It's a platform style rack, which will also feature a bar across the front that tapers down about 17-18 inches back, connecting with the platform base. So, only maybe 1/4 of the rack will have a bottom and top bar. Trying to figure out the best way to mount an axe and a shovel. I have some quick fist mounts but would like something more secure and sturdy. Also, being able to lock it would be fantastic. For some reason the idea of somebody being able to come up to my rig and grab an axe doesn't excite me! Not sure how I will do it with my specific rack. Wish I had a picture to show you, but it will look relatively similar to the gamiviti racks. Will attach link HERE. This is roughly what it will look like. I think I could design something that uses the brackets going down to the gutters as a mounting point, since mounting it on just a single tube might be hard, depending on the style of mount. So, any recommendations? Would love to see pictures of people's rack setup as well.

TRL EATR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bastian
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1TRL
I bought a Garvin roof rack with the dual shovel/axe mount - very sturdy. Will send pics tomorrow, too cold and dark outside! Good luck!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I use Fourtreks mounts with quickfists. Fourtreks only use a single tube so that's not an issue for your application. To secure my #murderspork and pulaski I presently use a gun lock that passes through holes in the handles and the rack itself.

IMG_0264.JPG

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Lifestyle Prep 4.jpg I got so wrapped up into how I wanted it all to mount - it was almost maddening trying to find exactly what I wanted. I spent weeks looking for JUST THE RIGHT mounts for my axe and shovel and, in the end, ended up building up my own conglomeration of parts using one mount made specifically (but could easily be modified) for Rhino Pioneer platforms for the shovel and then Quick Fist mounts right next to it for the axe, so the shovel and axe almost nest.

SO, if there is ever a recommendation I make here on OB that I want you to really take to heart, it's this: Go Custom, Cobble Parts together! There generally isn't one specific thing that will make you 100% happy while carrying both. IMO.