Launch Member

Contributor I

Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Tamara
Last Name
Correia
Member #

I am new to overlanding and need a rooftop box. What's the best budget roof box out there? I sleep in my truck so i plan to keep my sleep gear and extra stuff in the box.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Everything is a trade off. The more expensive the more water proof for longer they are. SKB, Pelican, Seahorse etc. etc. are all prime boxes with a high price tag. You can pickup a less expensive boxes but you might have to double bag the stuff inside. Big dry bags also work.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have Yakima and Thule cargo boxes that have plenty of room for sleeping gear. The rifle box I have up there now is only good for gear.

Reactions: MrChris

Tammym

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Tamara
Last Name
Correia
Member #

Everything is a trade off. The more expensive the more water proof for longer they are. SKB, Pelican, Seahorse etc. etc. are all prime boxes with a high price tag. You can pickup a less expensive boxes but you might have to double bag the stuff inside. Big dry bags also work.
I figured...I’ll look at the dry bags. Thanks!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
B8D413A3-08F0-4D66-9D98-C02A5CE25C6F_1_105_c.jpeg

We bought the "tin box" (front left) in the market in Nairobi - cost about USD 10.00 . Perfect!

Having said this, our sleeping bags and extra clothing were/are stored below the bed inside the vehicle.

Tammym

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Tamara
Last Name
Correia
Member #

View attachment 190835

We bought the "tin box" (front left) in the market in Nairobi - cost about USD 10.00 . Perfect!

Having said this, our sleeping bags and extra clothing were/are stored below the bed inside the vehicle.
That looks perfect. I don’t have a “bed”, so far I have been sleeping on a sleep mat and blankets...working great for now.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love the action packers, they need to have the holes taped over for weather.

GXExplorer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bergstrom
Member #

We have A few Thule and Yakima boxes of different sizes from long and narrow to XL to meet our varying needs as sometimes I solo and sometime take our family of five. All boxes were picked up on Craigslist for less than $200. Our beater slim Yakima is awesome for carrying wood for the fire or carrying long stuff like tents, sleeping pads and chairs. We also have some of the front runner wolf boxes and stack them on the rack. They stay dry inside and relatively dust free despite not having a real seal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrChris

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
We use a Yakima Box...Lots of room, easy to put up and take down, and I got it cheap on Craigslist. Be patient and get a good deal :)

Reactions: GXExplorer

Tammym

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Tamara
Last Name
Correia
Member #

We have A few Thule and Yakima boxes of different sizes from long and narrow to XL to meet our varying needs as sometimes I solo and sometime take our family of five. All boxes were picked up on Craigslist for less than $200. Our beater slim Yakima is awesome for carrying wood for the fire or carrying long stuff like tents, sleeping pads and chairs. We also have some of the front runner wolf boxes and stack them on the rack. They stay dry inside and relatively dust free despite not having a real seal.
We use a Yakima Box...Lots of room, easy to put up and take down, and I got it cheap on Craigslist. Be patient and get a good deal :)
Thanks...will definitely start checking Craigslist

Reactions: GXExplorer

Tammym

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Tamara
Last Name
Correia
Member #

Will definitely start checking Craigslist...thanks!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I followed our founders (Michael) lead and use these:
Buy some weather-stripping tape and put it in the lid grooves, BAM! watertight, been using them for years, love them, durable, cheap and readily available....... I keep them pre packed, and when time to go, throw them on the roof rack, strap down and go.

Jim

Reactions: RoarinRow

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Before I fell victim of the Overland - YouTube Craze and decided to go all in with Roam Adventure Cargo Boxes, and Pelican Vault Cases I used the Rightline Cargo Bags for my SUV. I had one mounted on the Roof and one mounted on the rear hatch. 100% waterproof, they did the job from AZ to FL and back, AZ to NY over 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Rooftop cargo boxes can be found all day long on Craigslist and market type social media groups.

I got my Yakima Skybox for $200 and it still had the stickers attached.

Also, I don't get the love for the overly expensive rifle cases strapped all over the roofs of vehicles. For what one pays and the configuration of the cases, one could do a lot better without being limited to items just 5 inches thick.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Rooftop cargo boxes can be found all day long on Craigslist and market type social media groups.

I got my Yakima Skybox for $200 and it still had the stickers attached.

Also, I don't get the love for the overly expensive rifle cases strapped all over the roofs of vehicles. For what one pays and the configuration of the cases, one could do a lot better without being limited to items just 5 inches thick.
But , but, but what about fashion? I do own Seahorse, SKB, And Pelican Boxes. They ride inside, the stuff in mine is far more expensive than the cases. Please feel free to you and do what you want. I had a wooden box on a sedan 40 years ago for hauling stuff. It was know as the wedge. It was NOT fashionable.