Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
I’m new to Overlanding and I’m in the market to start a build. I want a mid size truck with heated seats (the wife will be driving it as we travel in between jobs and she requested it have heated seats). What do y’all think? I’ve been looking at the new Ranger but also considering a Tacoma or Colorado (due to the Duramax). Help!

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I am new in here. There will be lots of opinions, but let me state fact: Toyota is the most reliable brand out there, and has the best resale value so if THAT is your thing, (AKA financial best sense) then get the tacoma. Another advantage to the tacoma is the enthusiasts and aftermarket scene is massive, and here is we start to get into opinions. ;-)

But by no means do those factors have to be your thing. Lord knows my dream rig is neither of those LOL

Reactions: Superduty23

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
I do like the Tacoma but wouldn’t it have to be regeared for bigger tires and all the weight? The Ranger has more towing capacity. Therefor it can handle more weight. I see pros and cons to all. I’m glad you gave me your opinion. I’m wanting opinions and facts. That’s what I’ll base my decision off of.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I do like the Tacoma but wouldn’t it have to be regeared for bigger tires and all the weight? The Ranger has more towing capacity. Therefor it can handle more weight. I see pros and cons to all. I’m glad you gave me your opinion. I’m wanting opinions and facts. That’s what I’ll base my decision off of.
Every vehicle needs to be regeared for significantly bigger tires. I would stay away from the ranger as it is brand new for the US and not identical to the international versions.
Technically there's not so much difference anymore, I would go for a Colorado.
And there's a simple reason...
Colorado Bison. It's good as it is, take it, drive it.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

You have a lot of expereince off roading ? Are you sure you need bigger tires ? They look very cool, but almost any pick up is very capable with a rear dif lock option and with some better tires that the stock one can probably go on more than 90 % of the trails, you just fit an engine skid plate. .
Suspension is the last upgrade you need to do, unless you want to do it 3 times. Buy the truck, fit some good AT tyres, go on a few trips, see how much it weights with all the crap you decied you need and buy ( maybe a roof rack, bullbar, RTT, who knows..), what kind of trails you like to go to. Only after that you can see if you need a lift, or a GVM upgrade, or maybe both and you buy exactly what fits the vehicle at the weight it will carry.
Any lifted truck with oversize tryres will suck as a daily driver like you plan to use it, depending how far you go with the lift and tires.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Most people just need a small lift to fit a little bigger tire under their rigs. I know I'm only going with a 2" lift and 33s this spring. Adding airbag in the rear for towing our pop up, and spending the money saved for upgraded shocks and bumpstops. Factory springs are fine. Pretty well the same setup I used on my previous wrangler unlimited. Which btw is my recommendation for vehicle. One of the most capable rigs off road stock.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m new to Overlanding and I’m in the market to start a build. I want a mid size truck with heated seats (the wife will be driving it as we travel in between jobs and she requested it have heated seats). What do y’all think? I’ve been looking at the new Ranger but also considering a Tacoma or Colorado (due to the Duramax). Help!
The one you own LoL... there is no best, there is no worse. Both choices have their pluses and minuses. The Tocoma has the better aftermarket support, while the Colorado has some support you will find yourself building a lot of your accessories your self.

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
The one you own LoL... there is no best, there is no worse. Both choices have their pluses and minuses. The Tocoma has the better aftermarket support, while the Colorado has some support you will find yourself building a lot of your accessories your self.
Hahaha the one I own can’t even fit in a Walmart parking lot in Northern Washington. That’s why I’m wanting something a little smaller. Thanks for the advice

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hahaha the one I own can’t even fit in a Walmart parking lot in Northern Washington. That’s why I’m wanting something a little smaller. Thanks for the advice
Naw I get it... I had a F-350 quad cab dual my for a while. It was an awesome desert machine, but out here in the PNW, it sucked way to big... and yes Walmart parking was done as far from the store as I could get, taking up 4 spots just to have enough room to pull back out.

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
Naw I get it... I had a F-350 quad cab dual my for a while. It was an awesome desert machine, but out here in the PNW, it sucked way to big... and yes Walmart parking was done as far from the store as I could get, taking up 4 spots just to have enough room to pull back out.
I worked in Bellingham WA for 6 months last year and it was miserable. Hahaha

Reactions: M Rose

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
The desert I was referring to was El Paso, TX... I grew up here in Eastern Oregon, but spent the better part of my adult life moving all over the US.
I spent two years out in West Texas. Miserable place to live lol. I haven’t had my 350 off road in the sand yet except at the beach in Louisiana and Texas. The winch got a lot of use pulling others out but I haven’t been stuck yet in it. She’s heavy weighing in at 9,900lbs dry but I haven’t buried her yet either.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Easy...Toyota, Toyota, Toyota.......A no brainer! Reliability, resale, easy to service, aftermarket parts available, great dealer support....

Remember when a couple years ago they replaced entire chassis on the Toyota Tacomas? Do you really think Ford or Chevy would have done that! They would have sent you a package of bubble gum and some duck tape!

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Easy...Toyota, Toyota, Toyota.......A no brainer! Reliability, resale, easy to service, aftermarket parts available, great dealer support....

Remember when a couple years ago they replaced entire chassis on the Toyota Tacomas? Do you really think Ford or Chevy would have done that! They would have sent you a package of bubble gum and some duck tape!
No because they didn't have to. Their chassis are built out of steel. Not pot metal.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My opinion....Look at aftermarket support. Toyota/Jeep. Next, dependability, Toyota.
I'm a Toyota guy. I have owned and modded, most of the four wheel drives made (no German). Started with Toyota and came full circle back. All of my four wheel drives have been modified and abused. I always need a pickup so if I chose an SUV, I would have a truck also. Currently I have a 2019 Tacoma and a 96 Cruiser.
Part of your choice needs to be how much room do you need. Someone posted in here how a Tacoma is bigger than most older full size trucks. My Tacoma is actually bigger than my Cruiser. 2.5 door (forgot what they called it, not a 4dr), long bed, 4wd.
The Cruiser has much more room inside. Until you put them side by side you wouldn't know that.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Technically there's not so much difference anymore, I would go for a Colorado.
And there's a simple reason...
Colorado Bison. It's good as it is, take it, drive it.
Chevrolet did this one correctly. If I was to pick an American vehicle, especially for towing/off road, this would be my choice. If you stay "close" to the factory tire size you don't really need to re gear.
Tow ratings by the way tend to be, not exaggerated but over rated? They have to fit legal guide lines, so there's that. Yesterday one of my friends called me and asked what I knew about the new Jeep pick up. My reply was...it's a Jeep? So nothing. Turns out, my Tacoma has a higher tow rating than the Jeep pu, by alot. There's no way I would tow 7k with my Tacoma but, that's what its rating is. My opinion on towing, don't go small with the tow rig unless its a lite trailer.

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GMW
I have a 2019 Tacoma. I love it, but it is not perfect.

Visibility is meh, even the short bed dual cab BARELY (by just a couple of inches) fits in my garage, and payload is awful (1175). I put a bed topper on it and when I start adding up numbers the payload disappears quickly. I haven't weighed it loaded yet but with my basic camp setup and two people on board I bet I am close to maxed out, and I don"t have steel bumpers or a roof top tent or any other bits of cool stuff.

I was aware of that going in though. I accepted the limitations in exchange for reliability, build quality, parts availability, and I just think it is a cool looking truck. The bride and I find it to be comfortable and roomy and I feel like it drives like a smaller truck than it really is. On long trips I get between 23-24MPG, normal driving I get 18.5-19.

I would definitely get one again.

Thats my contribution to your quest. :sunglasses: