Best power solutions for running a Block Heater on an e350 w/out an outlet?

• HTML tutorial

MrFindell

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Omaha, Nebraska
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Findell
Member #

Hey everyone, odd request.

We have an 07 e350 4x4 van build. We want to head to the mountains for a ski/snowboard trip.

In the cold it won’t start without the block heater plugged in for 2-3 hours+ (temp pending)

The two batteries on it are pretty old so we’re curious if doing two new batteries will power through with the glow plugs it has or if it just simply needs the block heater plugged in to get it started when cold out.

We’d rather not buy a gas generator (loud and not ideal) but we do have a Jackery 1000 and a Goal Zero 1500 but it pulls nearly 800 Watts straight when plugged in to the block heater. Not sure if it’s healthy to run those at a consistent 800w like that.

Anyone have some guidance on best way to keep our rig running without access to a wall plug?
(No camp sites open w/ hookups this time of year in the Silverthorne, CO area)
We really don’t want to get stuck not being able to get it running. Attached is a photo of the rig as reference.
Thanks!

Attachments

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm sure other will chime in with battery powered solutions, but for my money I'd be hard pressed not to go with a cheap gas inverter generator. Maybe not the most convenient since it's another chunk of equipment to carry, but its a tried and true solution. And even though the cheapo's don't necessarily have the best sine wave, they don't have to for a heating element.

Alternatively, you can normally rent quality small units from local hardware stores by the week for about half the cost of a new cheapo.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I like to be out in the cold a lot. To preheat the engine I have installed a blockheater to plug-in for 220V/110V wall plug. This works great - just as long as, you have already written it, a connection to plug in is available. That's why I also have a Webasto diesel heater that heats the cooling water. With it I am more independent. Maybe this is a solution for you? In my opinion, however, this is only worthwhile if you really travel a lot in the cold.

If I only had the block heater to plug in, I would simply take a generator. There are now really compact and not too loud gasoline generators to buy.

Of course, the best thing would be to find out why it won't start if it's not preheated and fix the problem. And you already mentioned an idea what the problem could be.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Get a diesel powered heater that heats your coolant, by far best solution. Your glow system might be "tired" and your batteries might be the same but that's easy, just measure the voltage while glowing and you will know... But there's a lot of stuff that could potentially be below standard.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

We keep a couple of these around with 5 lb bottles on the ranch to assist our older diesel trucks and tractors on sub-zero days. Fire it up and set it near or under the front bumper pointed toward the oil pan. We deflect the heat with a small tin sheet on some of the lower vehicles. It's also very nice to have for setting up camps, changing flats, throwing on tire chains, or doing repairs when out in the backcountry on winter days.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If it’s really cold, you know, down in the negatives, I’d bring extra keys and let the thing idle. I’d just never shut it off. Pull the curtains, lock it up. That or bring a can of ether along.

MrFindell

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Omaha, Nebraska
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Findell
Member #

Thanks everyone for the insights.
One more question then below are my notes from testing.

Is it safe to let the van idle through the nights? I’m mostly curious if that causes any issues with overheating or things getting too hot and blowing any hoses etc.

As for my notes…
I did some testing and the goal zero 1500x last about 1.5hrs but isn’t enough to get the block warm enough to start below 30 degrees. (Also a huge waste as that thing takes 14 hours to recharge back to 100%.)

Tested a small 900w 2 cycle generator and it worked after 3 hours. Don’t love the noise but I suppose if we stay at a truck stop it’s not as big of a deal. Figured we would stay at a KOA and plug into sure power the other nights.

So just looking to see if it’s safe to idle the Van for 7-9 hours. Or if we there are things to watch closely.

Thanks!

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Thanks everyone for the insights.
One more question then below are my notes from testing.

Is it safe to let the van idle through the nights? I’m mostly curious if that causes any issues with overheating or things getting too hot and blowing any hoses etc.

As for my notes…
I did some testing and the goal zero 1500x last about 1.5hrs but isn’t enough to get the block warm enough to start below 30 degrees. (Also a huge waste as that thing takes 14 hours to recharge back to 100%.)

Tested a small 900w 2 cycle generator and it worked after 3 hours. Don’t love the noise but I suppose if we stay at a truck stop it’s not as big of a deal. Figured we would stay at a KOA and plug into sure power the other nights.

So just looking to see if it’s safe to idle the Van for 7-9 hours. Or if we there are things to watch closely.

Thanks!
In my experience with PowerStrokes as long as your PCM and other operating systems are functioning correctly to adjust idle speeds up as required while idling in cold weather, you can idle your van for that long with little to no harm. If you do it on a consistent basis, you will need to change your oil and service intervals more frequently because of fuel blow-by idling for long periods at lower RPMs. Watch engine temps and ensure they are not going too low, or you will risk wet stacking. If your engine temps do not maintain normal operating temperatures in very cold conditions, block a portion of the radiator or grill with a piece of cardboard while parked and idling.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Get a diesel powered heater that heats your coolant, by far best solution. Your glow system might be "tired" and your batteries might be the same but that's easy, just measure the voltage while glowing and you will know... But there's a lot of stuff that could potentially be below standard.
Yeah I think it would be better, and cheaper to fix the hard start problem. You need a good diesel mechanic. Just my two cents.
Zim

Reactions: MazeVX

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Yeah I think it would be better, and cheaper to fix the hard start problem. You need a good diesel mechanic. Just my two cents.
Zim
Agreed. . . most common problems we have seen with all our Powerstrokes are the glow plug relay or the glow plug or plugs themselves. We replace them all even it one or more are bad. Not hard in the pickups but might be more difficult in a van.

We do use starting fluid on our older PowerStroke trucks on days when we don't have time to warm them up. . . if you try this, be sure to turn the key on and wait at least two minutes or so before attempting.

Also, use good synthetic motor oil.

MrFindell

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Omaha, Nebraska
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Findell
Member #

Solved this issue. We bought new batteries and when we unmounted the old ones from the frame we noticed one of the battery terminal clamps had slid off so we were running on only one battery. Now it starts great with everything hooked up. The downside is it's a huge pain and 1-2 hour process to unmount these things from the frame to gain access. It's also just wild to me that these would be mounted under the van exposed to outside elements even with the plastic covers on top. Are there any quick-mount latch-style buckets for under-mounted batteries? I feel like there has to be a better solution.

Thanks!