Rank III

Enthusiast II

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Martin
Member #

HI guys! im gonna be blunt. Im depressed. Ok good to know. My friend isnt doing too hot either and we both wanna just head out into the wild and enjoy nature for a few days. I really really really want to be by a river or something because I love creeks and rivers and stuff but mostly I just want to be in forests. We planned on taking a trip to colorado but we wanna leave like asap and I think colorado might be too snowy right now. I told her I think we should just pick one place and cam around that area. south colorado is an option but basically just don't want to travel too far from Texas. Any suggestions? currently was looking in the sante fe area but I'm not sure if anyone knows any must camp places

Reactions: Tony R

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Northern NM is not too dissimilar form Southern CO. Mountains, snow, road closures, etc.

If you want a river, the Rio Grande runs from roughly Taos out to the Santa Fe region. Taos is around 7200' elevation. Temp there this morning was 8°F. Unless you are prepared for winter cold camping, I'd suggest something else.

Its the end of January. The coldest time of the year.
Cloudcroft, NM which is hours closer than Santa Fe was 23°F this morning at 9,000' elevation. Lincoln National Forest, waterfalls, great little community.
Maybe consider Carlsbad Caverns area? 33°F this morning.
Why not go to Big Bend National Park? Rio Grande river, mountains, much warmer. 43°F this morning. Currently 73°F.

Midland to Santa Fe - 6+ hours
Midland to Terlingua - 3:45 hours

Life of Trevor

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Northern NM is not too dissimilar form Southern CO. Mountains, snow, road closures, etc.

If you want a river, the Rio Grande runs from roughly Taos out to the Santa Fe region. Taos is around 7200' elevation. Temp there this morning was 8°F. Unless you are prepared for winter cold camping, I'd suggest something else.

Its the end of January. The coldest time of the year.
Cloudcroft, NM which is hours closer than Santa Fe was 23°F this morning at 9,000' elevation. Lincoln National Forest, waterfalls, great little community.
Maybe consider Carlsbad Caverns area? 33°F this morning.
Why not go to Big Bend National Park? Rio Grande river, mountains, much warmer. 43°F this morning. Currently 73°F.

Midland to Santa Fe - 6+ hours
Midland to Terlingua - 3:45 hours
Super helpful! I think I’m going to go to Lincoln national forest honestly. I personally already did winter traveling and I didn’t love it but snows an exception. My friend however would probably die. She’s very adamant that her grandma has “a very nice sleeping bag” and I’ll agree it’s nice but it’s nothing incredible and it definitely isn’t gonna be warm in lower then 40 degrees. I’ve tried to explain to them that “really nice” and “really warm” aren’t the same thing but... ya. Might take this trip solo honestly. I wanna get back to living in my Jeep ASAP... well at least live and travel

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I would normally suggest the Gila, but it will be cold down there also, Reserve NM is getting into the low 20’s at night, so I would go with Big Bend also.
Unless you are geared up to camp in cold weather, stay out of the mountains in Northern NM, I have traveled over snow in early June on some trails.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Keep in mind New Mexico has a mandatory quarantine in effect for those traveling there.
When I did the NMBDR In Oct I just ignored it because it wasn’t being strictly enforced but I hear from acquaintances that live there that it is being strictly enforced now with police pulling over out of state vehicles

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I haven't found that to be true. Santa Fe maybe where the PoPo have nothing to do... We go monthly and have had no issues. And the reality is when you go to a gas station, restaurant, etc, in small to midsize towns, more often than not, no one is wearing a mask. That's been my experience from Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, Estancia, Moriarty, Tularosa. Even over fathers day weekend, Taos Mountain and Arroyo Seco were pretty chill.

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

If you still want to head to Northern NM, I've a few spots. Coming from Houston its a drive but I always find it worth it. This pic was taken at a great camp spot near Jemez Springs. The little profile pic was taken in Chama on a fly fishing trip. Recommend both.
Agree with the above sentiment that its pretty cold now but that can be part of the adventure!

NMex.jpg