Best place to purchase overlanding gear?

• HTML tutorial

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

I agree with others here who've said you don't need 'overland' branded gear to have high quality. In fact, a lot of newer overland branded gear sold by third party vendors is the same product available from a multitude of third party vendors and is just private label product.

Whether you really want high-quality or are after good decent gear, there's a lot of folk who were into what I call the "overland bling" look who are now selling their stuff after realizing they never use it, spent too much, or their wife/partner isn't into 'overlanding' as much as they are, or they've moved on to another hobby. Some great deals out there on never-used/barely-used gear. I bought my rooftop tent and several other items that way at drastically reduced prices.

- Shovel: I use a long-handled shovel from the local Farmer's Union more than any other shovel I own. I have room to carry it, so prefer it over a short-handled shovel. I have a brand new murder spork I'm probably gonna sell or use as a workshop prize.

- Axes: I've used axes for decades and always went for the local hardware store brand, which nowadays is usually a three pounder made in Mexico. When I moved to Maine in the 70's I started using Snow & Nealley axes and mauls, which were made in Maine and highly-regarded. They sold out and their product started being made overseas. I hear it's being made in the US again, though I'm not sure where. The link above is to their amzn store. Here's some interesting history, if you're interested in their stuff: History of Snow & Nealley.

Now I much prefer Gränsfors Bruk axes and hatchets over all others. Legendary Swedish steel, easier to make sharp and easier to keep sharp. They will most definitely outlast an axe from a big box store. Read up on Swedish steel and you'll see why it gets the respect it has since the Middle Ages.

I've learned over the years that good cutting tools expected to last is one place worth spending extra pesos.

- Jacks: I use a scissor jack more than anything, though have a farm jack and know how to use it. I wouldn't get a Hi-lift (farm jack) unless you go to a serious recovery workshop and learn the do's and don'ts of farm jacks,

- Traction ladders: I have both Maxtrax and Traction Jack and always reach for the less expensive Traction Jack first because they fold in half, are easier to store, and are more versatile in a wider range of uses.

- First Aid Kits: I've used and own a bunch of both pre-made and homemade kits. I like the MyMedic.com kits the best for pre-made. Though as mentioned, if experienced with first aid and the outdoors, it's less expensive and more specifically tailored to your skill set and knowledge to build your own.

- Storage: if strapping to your roof or basket, I think this is another area where it's worth paying a few more bucks for longer-lasting, more weatherproof gear, IF planning on using it for a long time, like years and if you are on the road a lot. I prefer Zarges K470 Cases myself, and have four of them in a couple different sizes, though like the bear-resistant ones best of the K470 series. Expensive, will outlast me and my kid, but rugged and will keep my food safe when in active bear territory. Approved for leaving out in places where rangers fine you for leaving a cooler or food out where it might attract bears.

I really like my Front Runner Outfitters Wolf Packs and Cub Packs, too, and their Monsoon Bag is a phenomenal piece of kit for outside rooftop storage. The Wolf and Cub Packs are straight-sided, stack and strap down really well, and can be used up top without modification. Front Runner Stratchit Straps are great bits of kit, too. I use mine all the time.

I also have a few of the much more affordable Plano 56 Quart Totes, which are quite handy, and if you use some D-shaped EPDM Rubber Seal in the lid, you can make them tighter to the weather and use them up top for storage. They are thinner, more flexible, plastic, though, so take that into consideration in how you use them and what you store in them.

The key to good, flexible storage, to my way of thinking, is to have multiples of the same thing so they stack better and can be interchanged, maximizing available space.

As also mentioned by others, I would get out there with your vehicle, find out more about where you like to go and what your needs are based on the style of travel you enjoy most, then start filling the gaps with the right gear. A lot of it can be cross-purposed from other trades. It certainly doesn't have to be expensive to be high-quality, though often is. The trick is determining which gear is worth the expense.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
Thank you so much for all those suggestions! I'll definitely be checking those out. I haven't been hitting the trails as much as I'd like due to me recently purchasing a home in WNC and having to spend extended bouts of time at sea to pay off these bills. I have acquired a good bit of stuff within the past year. My Hults Bruk axe is one of my favorite pieces of gear A bit on the pricey side but well worth it. My friend has a GB and says its definitely his go to.

Reactions: Road