James3dwards

Rank 0

Traveler I

Salt Lake City, Utah
First Name
James
Last Name
Edwards
Hi, I'm looking for a good mapping site or application for researching, planning and mapping trails. I looked at Alltrails, but the app is more general focus and doesn't map just off-road trails.

Thanks for any suggestions

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

For research I use trailsoffroad.com. I enjoy seeing videos and reading descriptions to gauge if its what I am looking for in a trip. I download the .gpx files and upload to GAIA on my laptop. Once uploaded, it syncs to my tablet which I use for offroad mapping.

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
Seems like I’m not alone in thinking Gaia is the reigning champ.
Especially now with their partnership with TrailsOffroad
This thread is a bit stale. I’ve been running Gaia and OnX for several months. So far there isn’t a clear winner for me. I prefer trip planning with Gaia and I prefer the mobile user interface with OnX. However I had an issue with OnX once when an offline map wouldn’t load. I was glad to have Gaia and paper maps as a plan B. A reminder that redundancy is a good thing.

What do others like (or not) about these two platforms?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My current favorite is OB1 for nav activities, Gaia for route creation and onX for research/planning. Sadly none are "perfect" for navigating so I run all three and have to switch between them more than I would like to get the "view" that I want in any circumstance. Of the three OB1 is the one that is being updated/improved the most so I have the highest hopes for it. Gaia seems to be the one resting on its laurels the most so I am phasing it out; that said Gaia's mobile iOS app does seem to be the least buggy while navigating but also has the most issues syncing with "all of the data" on the mothership (my routes/waypoints created on the computer via their web interface). onX's syncing to the mothership just works and it has become the "gold standard" for viewing my data while navigating; I also LOVE their maps - they have done a fantastic job of merging the kinds of things that I want to see onto a single map. I dislike Gaia's method of layering maps and setting the opacity of each layer to view more than one layer - all layers suffer and you end up with a barely visible (while driving and glancing) jumble and have to constantly change the opacity of "the layer of current interest" in order to see it clearly.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I agree this thread has inspired me to give it a try. I upgraded to Expedition and will try OB1 alongside Gaia and OnX this weekend.
I should add that OB1 maps are a lot like onX maps - the stuff you want all living together on a single map. I really like OB1 for following a pre-planned track/route.

Reactions: Dusther210

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
My current favorite is OB1 for nav activities, Gaia for route creation and onX for research/planning. Sadly none are "perfect" for navigating so I run all three and have to switch between them more than I would like to get the "view" that I want in any circumstance. Of the three OB1 is the one that is being updated/improved the most so I have the highest hopes for it. Gaia seems to be the one resting on its laurels the most so I am phasing it out; that said Gaia's mobile iOS app does seem to be the least buggy while navigating but also has the most issues syncing with "all of the data" on the mothership (my routes/waypoints created on the computer via their web interface). onX's syncing to the mothership just works and it has become the "gold standard" for viewing my data while navigating; I also LOVE their maps - they have done a fantastic job of merging the kinds of things that I want to see onto a single map. I dislike Gaia's method of layering maps and setting the opacity of each layer to view more than one layer - all layers suffer and you end up with a barely visible (while driving and glancing) jumble and have to constantly change the opacity of "the layer of current interest" in order to see it clearly.
Gaia has a new overlanding layer that is pretty good.
I also like adding the wilderness layer and snow layer in winter

I also want to start spending more time with OB1 and OnX

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

My subscription lapsed about the time that Gaia introduced the new overlanding layer. My problem with Gaia and its layers is that one layer is always the most visible. So then I decrease its opacity and end up being able to see more layers at the cost of all visible layers being "washed out". IMO a single layer with lots of diverse data is better than multiple washed out layers. I know folks who disagree with that and that is ok, but I find that while driving I can only glance at the map and I want it to be vibrant, bright and crystal clear.

Reactions: a12houk

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

My subscription lapsed about the time that Gaia introduced the new overlanding layer. My problem with Gaia and its layers is that one layer is always the most visible. So then I decrease its opacity and end up being able to see more layers at the cost of all visible layers being "washed out". IMO a single layer with lots of diverse data is better than multiple washed out layers. I know folks who disagree with that and that is ok, but I find that while driving I can only glance at the map and I want it to be vibrant, bright and crystal clear.
That makes sense
The only layers I really use are public land and wilderness areas so I know my boundaries. Then I’m winter I turn on snow depth so I can decide where I do or do t want to go.
The current fires layer is also good info.
If OB1 has that info incorporated or available, I’ll be happy.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
That makes sense
The only layers I really use are public land and wilderness areas so I know my boundaries. Then I’m winter I turn on snow depth so I can decide where I do or do t want to go.
Gaia certainly has the lead by a huge margin on map types and available data; I'm not sure if OB1 will support these other map types or not. Sounds worthy of a feature request!
I have used many of the layers in Gaia and like their inclusion but my main use case is while driving - so I tend to harp on a good solution for that ;)

Reactions: a12houk

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That makes sense
Public lands and wilderness area maps are already emended in the app. As for winter layer, @Michael would be in the know on if this is eventually going to come into being or not.

Reactions: Ubiety and a12houk

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That makes sense
Public lands and wilderness area maps are already emended in the app. As for winter layer, @Michael would be in the know on if this is eventually going to come into being or not.
Thanks for that!
Current fires is something important to me too and a layer I consult during planning and pre-trip

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose