Arkansas_SR5

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cave Springs, AR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Last
I'm deciding between the Yokohama Geolander G003, Falken Wildpeak MT, and BFG KM3 in the 255/75/17 size. My first choice were the Yokies since they're the lightest at 49 lbs, but I was warned by the salesman about extreme road noiseThe KM3s are on sale at Discount Tire, but I've been put off by the relatively high proportion of negative reviews, with many accounts of dry-rotting, chunking, and poor balancing. The Falken seems like a good option, but it's also quite heavy at 54 lbs.

Has anyone run one or more of these tires? I'd appreciate any insights as to which would be the best all-around choice for my little truck, which sees a lot of highways, but also the kind of muddy tracks that'll turn an AT into a racing slick.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
was warned by the salesman about extreme road noise
Define "extreme road noise". Has the "salesman" actually run several diffrent designs of mud tires, is he just parroting what he heard or is he comparing them to his BMW. Try running Nitto Mud Grapplers. All of a sudden, the others are quiet.
I've run all of those with the exception of the Yokohama's. Obviously mud tires are noisier, can have worse ride and wear like crap compered to some of the all terrains. If their that bad, why have I run them? Because they work for my type of driving and I accept the compromise.

I'd appreciate any insights as to which would be the best all-around choice for my little truck, which sees a lot of highways, but also the kind of muddy tracks that'll turn an AT into a racing slick.
If your running sticky mud, you need a tire that has the best self cleaning tread. Those were my Nittos. Gawd they were loud though.

BFG comes in two qualities for tread life. Moderate and poor. In my opinion, the KO3's have better self cleaning but I'm hesitant to buy them again. The older generation's were better built. On my daily driver (Tacoma), I'm very happy with my Falcons in the way of noise, tread wear and mild off road performance. When my BFG's are worn out on my Cruiser, I want to try Yokohamas but I'm not sure if they will hold up to the abuse I put tires through. That choice will be based on how well the falcons hold up. So far so good.

Joshua Buss

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

18245 40th Ave NE, Lake Forest Park, WA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Buss
Member #

was warned by the salesman about extreme road noise
Define "extreme road noise". Has the "salesman" actually run several diffrent designs of mud tires, is he just parroting what he heard or is he comparing them to his BMW. Try running Nitto Mud Grapplers. All of a sudden, the others are quiet.
I've run all of those with the exception of the Yokohama's. Obviously mud tires are noisier, can have worse ride and wear like crap compered to some of the all terrains. If their that bad, why have I run them? Because they work for my type of driving and I accept the compromise.

I'd appreciate any insights as to which would be the best all-around choice for my little truck, which sees a lot of highways, but also the kind of muddy tracks that'll turn an AT into a racing slick.
If your running sticky mud, you need a tire that has the best self cleaning tread. Those were my Nittos. Gawd they were loud though.

BFG comes in two qualities for tread life. Moderate and poor. In my opinion, the KO3's have better self cleaning but I'm hesitant to buy them again. The older generation's were better built. On my daily driver (Tacoma), I'm very happy with my Falcons in the way of noise, tread wear and mild off road performance. When my BFG's are worn out on my Cruiser, I want to try Yokohamas but I'm not sure if they will hold up to the abuse I put tires through. That choice will be based on how well the falcons hold up. So far so good.
I had Ridge Grapplers which is Nito’s hybrid Tire and never had any problems. Road noise really depends on your vehicle. A nicer ride has better cabin noise dampening. If you notice that Honda Civic you drove in high school is was louder then that family Sedan you upgraded to later. You can tell by those big Bass speakers kids put in how much they would rattle on a cheap car but not nearly as much on an Audi or BMW. As the old saying goes. You typically get what you pay for. Good luck.

Reactions: Old Tanker