First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Looking for A really good and real user friendly
Handheld? Dash mount? Phone/tablet app? I use a Rino 530 handheld, zumo dash mount and am familiarizing myself with Gaia on the iPad. I like them all, each has strength/weaknesses but do the job. What are you looking to do? Do you want to create routs at home and copy to gps then copy your actual tracks and waypoints to look at later and share? Do you want simple or detailed maps? Looking for something that works as a communicator as well?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Everyone knows my answer... Gaia GPS on an iPad or Android tablet. Or other app if you must... I’m not a fan of any of the dedicated hardware devices.

“User friendly” is a broad term and really depends on your skill level with techno devices and willingness to take the time to learn how to use said device or software. Powerful apps aren’t always intuitive on first use but with minimal effort your can learn how to use them.

This article shows some of the dedicated hardware devices,

Once you find some that you might like then search for reviews on YouTube and elsewhere. I think all of the dedicated hardware devices are useless paperweights unless you are in an open race vehicle. Others may differ and that’s fine. One persons opinion who has been using GPS devices for 20+ years.

Last edited:

SSG ALLHANDS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley falls,ny
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Tanner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy/ army 26yrs
I have used a few in the military, witch where nice, one thing I liked was I could see other friendly (or members that are nere by)

Reactions: Bomb Dawg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have used a few in the military, witch where nice, one thing I liked was I could see other friendly (or members that are nere by)
The Garmin Rino can do that for others with Rinos, though the distance between which will work is probably shorter than you are used to. Rino also has walkie talkie built in. The screen is pretty small though. I love mine and use it when away from the Jeep as a handheld.

Reactions: Nivar3

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

I use both Gaia and a Garmin InReach with Earthmate. Still learning about the InReach with Earthmate in terms of user modification. InReach has the advantage of a satellite communication when you have no cell service. Love the Gaia flexibility with type of map and the ability to lay out a route as well as record a route. I like the redundancy in case one fails. I also always carry a map from Benchmark. My thoughts.

SSG ALLHANDS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley falls,ny
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Tanner
Member #

Service Branch
Navy/ army 26yrs
Thanks for info, I used paper maps and GPS , and my land nav training in military, being Infantry and a military truck driver

Reactions: Ubiety

Vantams

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Plain City, Utah
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Tams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7UFV
I've been using Gaia lately but have yet to pay for the subscription. Lately, the best thing I've found is to use Google/mymaps to make my route into a KML file, download it, then import it to my phone and tablet using an app called Backcountry Navigator. It is impeccable and very easy to use. Click and drag map areas to use them offline and you're good to go!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I've been using Gaia lately but have yet to pay for the subscription. Lately, the best thing I've found is to use Google/mymaps to make my route into a KML file, download it, then import it to my phone and tablet using an app called Backcountry Navigator. It is impeccable and very easy to use. Click and drag map areas to use them offline and you're good to go!
Google won't show all of the forest roads. It does show some of the major ones though. I am sure it varies depending on area though. Exporting and importing KML/GPX files in and out of your favorite app is highly useful. Especially since so many people share tracks.

Reactions: Vantams and Ubiety

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I am using Locus Maps Free/Pro on Android.
It can be used for trip planning, navigation, recording, dowloadable and vector maps for offline use, distance and elevation details, geocaching, etc...
Even the free version offers most of the options.
At this moment for me the best app. But it could take some time to understand and use ALL of the features.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My plan, right now anyway, is to use my iPhoneX, and down load Gaia Pro, onto my iPad Air 64. It does have cellular so, going to be a test yet how this setup works. I hope to buy and use a InReach Explorer with my iso devices. I carry paper maps, Delorme, maps and a compass also. It’s all a learning process, but I enjoy learning new things. Why not learn how to use new technology, when it helps with safety? Don’t know how many still do this, but I keep track of all my travels by highlighting my trip routes on a paper map! Vance.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My plan, right now anyway, is to use my iPhoneX, and down load Gaia Pro, onto my iPad Air 64. It does have cellular so, going to be a test yet how this setup works. I hope to buy and use a InReach Explorer with my iso devices. I carry paper maps, Delorme, maps and a compass also. It’s all a learning process, but I enjoy learning new things. Why not learn how to use new technology, when it helps with safety? Don’t know how many still do this, but I keep track of all my travels by highlighting my trip routes on a paper map! Vance.
Good plan. InReach will only pair with one device. I used it with my old iPad as the "GPS Puck". Current iPad has GPS so I may switch it to my phone. It really depends on how often you send and receive messages. If you do that often it is probably more convenient to have the InReach paired with your phone.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Good plan. InReach will only pair with one device. I used it with my old iPad as the "GPS Puck". Current iPad has GPS so I may switch it to my phone. It really depends on how often you send and receive messages. If you do that often it is probably more convenient to have the InReach paired with your phone.
1Louder,
Lucky for me, All my Apple products have cellular and built in GPS! Will report how this works for me the good and bad through the Summer. Looking forward to the navigation app, OB is working on. Tell then, “use what you have”! Haha.

Nivar3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Nivardo
Last Name
Beaton
Member #

I also have a Garmin InReach Explorer + and use the Earthmate app on both my iPad and my IPhone. However I’m new to overlanding and have never used them for this. I got my Explorer as a means of communication when well out of cell phone range in the Everglades, on my skiff. It was mostly as a safety tool rather than navigation device as my boat has an onboard GPS.

The consensus from what I’ve read thus far seems to be the Gaia app.

Does anyone use Earthmate extensively or exclusively? I just want to be certain before I end up with another subscription.