Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
Hey all,

What is the recommended platform for you solo campers. I dont go on convoys or Trail runs with other members. I prefer to explore solo with just wife and kids. So I would want a way to communicate for emergencies or to communicate with anything going on around my vicinity. I'm thinking GMRS with Weather Stations etc. Or is HAM still the way to go?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For solo trips then I would go with something like the Garmin Inreach. Without cell reception, you still have satellite communication via text messages, SOS help, etc. With Ham, if you are within range of a repeater or other Ham operators, then you still have a way to get help if needed. With Ham, you should be able to get weather stations. GMRS is good to communicate within your base camp with wife and kids.

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
While I agree with what RoarinRow wrote, another option if you don't want a subscription is a PLB, which is basically just a distress option. I carry and inReach for use in non-emergency AND emergency situations and don't mind the subscription costs, but just wanted to toss out another option.
Thanks for that.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

While I agree with what RoarinRow wrote, another option if you don't want a subscription is a PLB, which is basically just a distress option. I carry and inReach for use in non-emergency AND emergency situations and don't mind the subscription costs, but just wanted to toss out another option.
What is PLB?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Good article. I also followed the link to some PLB devices from REI. I see the disadvantages of the PLB, for me, is that there is no ability to send messages home or cancel an SOS call and the battery is not rechargeable or user replaceable. It has to be sent in. With my Inreach I can charge in my car, battery pack, and anything that has USB charging. With the Garmin subscription, I can activate for month, then suspend subscription after that. The price of the PLB on REI is comparable to my Inreach.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am solo almost always, I go alone to Baja, Nev, Ariz, Ca. Mostly out of reach or off grid. Two years ago I was stuck for 24 hours while I dug myself out. I had resisted getting any of these things, and still would but for my father. He’s 87 and worries about me. I picked up a Gamin inReach SE+ it works very well. He call track me, send messages, as I can send him messages. There are a couple of different plans based on how much want to we chat. It does have a SOS feature. I picked mine up from Costco while on sale. I am happy with it for what it is.

Last edited:

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

Good article. I also followed the link to some PLB devices from REI. I see the disadvantages of the PLB, for me, is that there is no ability to send messages home or cancel an SOS call and the battery is not rechargeable or user replaceable. It has to be sent in. With my Inreach I can charge in my car, battery pack, and anything that has USB charging. With the Garmin subscription, I can activate for month, then suspend subscription after that. The price of the PLB on REI is comparable to my Inreach.
I had a spot gen 1, then 2, then 3 and was happy with them all but about a year ago went with an InReach Mini, so I understand what you said. In my above post, just wanted to point out another option.

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple