Best electric cordless chain saw for trail clearing? ***DeWalt Flexvolt 60V Max 16 inch or Greenworks Pro 80V 18 inch***

• HTML tutorial

DWA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Arnold
Service Branch
US Army
So I am trying to decide on one of these. It would be nice to get some advice from guys that have used either of these for the same purpose I am going to use it for.
Trail clearing of dead fall trees.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Dave

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
I have heavily used the DeWalt for mountain bike trail clearing and maintenance for the last 3 years I abuse the hell out of that saw and it has become my go to and I only break out the 30" Stihl for crazy big stuff. Keep your chain sharp and the DeWalt will do you well

Reactions: DWA and Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

For me the only drawback to an e-saw is how to charge the battery while off grid. Gasoline is a no brainer, they run forever.

But as stated, no matter what you run, you need to sharpen the chain every hour.

Almost all the brand name e-saws are great saws.

Since ALL my cordless tools are Milwalkie..... one of these days I'll buy one.

Keep in mind, regardless of the power source ALL chainsaws are leathal weapons, Buy the PPE too.

Can't wait to see an e-saw in a Hot Saw competition.

Altho, just like drag racing, its all about the noise.

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have the 80v greenworks and love it. I keep it in the truck with a battery at all times, just in case. Havent had to clear roads with it, but use it alot to clean up fallen trees for firewood when I'm out.

Reactions: DWA

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
You might want to consider the Echo 58V 4ah 16" too. I have one and really like it but I've only used it a handful of times. It tested very high on Project Farm's Youtube channel.

D

danbrown

For the very few times that I’ve needed a saw I carry a Silky folding saw. Sure it takes more effort, but has huge advantages. No batteries (or gas), no leaky bar chain oil, takes up very little space.

Curious to those who carry a chain saw…how much use to you get out of it while overlanding?

Reactions: DWA and danwyandt

DWA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Arnold
Service Branch
US Army
I have the 80v greenworks and love it. I keep it in the truck with a battery at all times, just in case. Havent had to clear roads with it, but use it alot to clean up fallen trees for firewood when I'm out.
Well that is the secret isn't it... Carry it and you will never need it. Ha ha

DWA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Arnold
Service Branch
US Army
For the very few times that I’ve needed a saw I carry a Silky folding saw. Sure it takes more effort, but has huge advantages. No batteries (or gas), no leaky bar chain oil, takes up very little space.

Curious to those who carry a chain saw…how much use to you get out of it while overlanding?
Yep I have a Silky KatanaBoy 500. Love it but now that I am a bit older I would like the ease of the power saw.

Reactions: danbrown

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Well that is the secret isn't it... Carry it and you will never need it. Ha ha
The one time I actually needed it for a trail I didnt even own a chainsaw... as soon as I got back to town I picked this one up and havent needed to use it, just use it to make firewood easier. Amazing how that works out

Reactions: danbrown and DWA

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Seems like all the major brands make a electric saw these days, and all seem to be fairly good. I purchased the larger of the two Makita models since I already have invested way to much into that line of tools and have a ton of batteries and chargers. If you are a tool guy it makes sense to go with the same brand as your home tools. Absolutely love my Makita, think I have only used either of my gas fired Stihls twice in the past two years since I got the Makita. I carry one extra chain (no tools needed to change or adjust chain is a bonus) and an extra set of batteries and a charger. (also carry an electric impact for working on the truck that shares the batteries.) So far have never needed the spare batteries or charger even with two or three nights of firewood cutting. Also have a silky saw which is now reserved for backup service, and those times where I want to be stealthy and not disturb anyone late at night cutting up downed branches for firewood. So far have not had an issue cutting 12 inch trees from across a road. I keep the saw in a canvas bag made for the purpose and keep the bar oil in a separate bottle until needed to avoid any potential mess since the saw is stored inside an SUV. Lives in the rig all the time and has already come in handy on the way home from the store during one of our frequent windstorms.

Reactions: DWA and NMBruce

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Seems like all the major brands make a electric saw these days, and all seem to be fairly good. I purchased the larger of the two Makita models since I already have invested way to much into that line of tools and have a ton of batteries and chargers. If you are a tool guy it makes sense to go with the same brand as your home tools. Absolutely love my Makita, think I have only used either of my gas fired Stihls twice in the past two years since I got the Makita. I carry one extra chain (no tools needed to change or adjust chain is a bonus) and an extra set of batteries and a charger. (also carry an electric impact for working on the truck that shares the batteries.) So far have never needed the spare batteries or charger even with two or three nights of firewood cutting. Also have a silky saw which is now reserved for backup service, and those times where I want to be stealthy and not disturb anyone late at night cutting up downed branches for firewood. So far have not had an issue cutting 12 inch trees from across a road. I keep the saw in a canvas bag made for the purpose and keep the bar oil in a separate bottle until needed to avoid any potential mess since the saw is stored inside an SUV. Lives in the rig all the time and has already come in handy on the way home from the store during one of our frequent windstorms.
sounds like a good set-up. Something for me to think about the next trip we go out to a wooded destination. The hand saw and ax we had worked with a lot of time.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've had a 24V Greenworks for almost 5 years now, great battery life in storage or while using. I already had several GW tools so that made a difference on choice. Last year I bought a 6 amp battery and it really lasts a long time cutting.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I was looking at the Makita, but couldn't find the dimension

here's a good video and there is a second one out there someplace.
someone say chainsaw, a friend of mind collection.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

The Makita comes in a top handle version in 10,14, & 16" bars with the 10" being 18 volt, and the other two 36volt, also rear handle (typical chainsaw grip) in 14" & 16" 36 volt with tool less chain adjustment and replacement. I went with the 14 inch rear handle as its big enough to do the job, and relatively compact. They do take a narrow low profile chain for less drag on the motor and better battery life. 11 pounds with batteries

Reactions: DWA and NMBruce

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
The Makita comes in a top handle version in 10,14, & 16" bars with the 10" being 18 volt, and the other two 36volt, also rear handle (typical chainsaw grip) in 14" & 16" 36 volt with tool less chain adjustment and replacement. I went with the 14 inch rear handle as its big enough to do the job, and relatively compact. They do take a narrow low profile chain for less drag on the motor and better battery life. 11 pounds with batteries
Thanks.
I am looking at putting it in my trailer, so I am looking at dimensions. I have a Stihl 34 super, that I could use.

DWA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Arnold
Service Branch
US Army

Thanks I just watched both videos. I am leaning towards the DeWalt.

Dave

Reactions: NMBruce