Best CO area trails for photography?

• HTML tutorial

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

I’m planning a drive out to the CO area from NY late July into August. My ride will be my daily driver - ‘16 JKUR, 3.5” lift, 37” Cooper STT Pros, manual trans, Zeon 10S, assorted other mods. It just rolled 17,000 miles and has no issues. I’ll attach a couple pics below but have more and all the details in my build thread. I’ve got really into photography and want to get some great landscape pics out West (first time out). So photography and scenery are the main goals, and avoiding huge crowds as much as possible at this time of year. I’ll be with my girlfriend, and will need to drive the jeep back to NY so not really looking for serious wheeling/difficult trails.

This will be my first trip out West and I was originally planning on running the alpine loop, but thought I’d ask for any better suggestions here before finalizing plans. Maybe there are some less popular areas for typical tourist vacationing that are great for photos. The entire trip is up in the air now as far as locations and I’m not strictly even tied to CO, but I have always wanted to check out that area. I’ll have about 17 days for the trip from when I leave NY to when I need to be back. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

F992B0BD-012F-43F1-9B61-2CBD304D221D.jpeg
3F786BD7-D235-4B8F-91C1-DEB24CBED764.jpeg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@GreggNY

That will depend on what you what to take pictures of and when you are planning to take the trip.

Mountain Scenery:
  1. Alpine loop is great
  2. Aspen/Maroon Bells (most photographed mountains in the state, for good reason)
  3. Sand Scapes w/ mountains - GSDNP, North Sand Hills Recreation Area
  4. Mining relics and ghost towns found throughout the state can add foreground interest
  5. Just about anywhere in the state if you look
Animals:
  1. Big Horn Sheep - Mt Evans, RMNP, Loveland Pass
  2. Elk - RMNP
  3. Moose - WestSide RMNP, Middle Park North of Granby, Eastern Northpark
  4. Marmot / Pika - RMNP
  5. Bear - anywhere people misbehave in the mtns, WestSide RMNP
Water falls - Come back another year

Be aware that currently the 416 Fire near Durango has closed the San Juan National Forest to Overlanding/Camping/Backpacking, ( http://www.westernslopenow.com/news/local-news/entire-san-juan-national-forest-to-be-closed-to-public/1230848678 ) as well an many City and County managed camping spots in that part of the state. Officials were driving the roads and informing everyone to clear out of camp yesterday. More Fire Info is available at https://colorado.gov/pacific/dfpc/current-wildfires

Boort

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

@Boort

Thanks for writing all that info up. Definitely a lot of options, and as I thought, most of the state is probably a photo opportunity compared to where I’m coming from. I’ll be leaving at the end of July so will check the fire closures as the date approaches. Thanks again.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Gregg
We're heading out after the 4th to Colorado, and every Colorado trip we've done over the years has been to the San Juans/Alpine Loop. Sadly that won't happen this year because of the fires. (Boort's list was spot on, by the way)
Here's a few suggestions. 1) loop from Durango to Cortez(between stop at Mesa Verde Nat. Park) to Delores to Telluride to Ridgeway . 2) Ridgeway to Owl Creek Pass to Silver Jack Reservoir. 3) Grand Junction through the Colorado National Monument to HWY 141 south to Naturita to HWY 90 into Utah toward Moab. All of these are fairly remote with totally different landscapes and wildlife. And if you have time, a day trip to Hovenweep National Monument out from Cortez is outstanding and all dirt.
Plus you can always do the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Silverton.

The problem with Colorado is there is so much to see and so little time.

Reactions: nTg and Boort

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

@Biker Eagle

I appreciate the info! I booked a nice condo on air bnb in Telluride from July 28-Aug 4 to keep the gf happy. So that location should be pretty close to some of those suggestions. I’m really hoping the fire situation isn’t an issue anymore by the time I’m out there.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir, CORKSCREW, Alpine Loop, Yankee Boy Basin, Pearl Pass, Maroon Bells, Scofield Pass, Taylor Pass, Antero and the list just goes on and on. My favorite trail, which also has great pix is Red Cone/Radical Hill (mountain goats). A bit of wheeling with scenery thrown in for good measure.

For variety, you might head over to Moab. Dozens of trails and different but awesome scenery.

Reactions: Boort

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

For variety, you might head over to Moab. Dozens of trails and different but awesome scenery.
Moab has always been on my mind but honestly didn’t even realize it was less than a few hours from Telluride. Any idea how busy it is around the first week of August? I’m sure it is ridiculously hot at that time, but I could maybe swing a day or two after CO.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you are up to back country camping, see if you can snag a reservation and run the White Rim Trail in Moab. It is 104 miles of dirt and absolutely breath taking. I recommend spending a minimum of one night on the trail, maybe two. Do some research.

It may be hot, but remember the humidity is probably going to be in the teens, not the 80's so if you can get out of the sun, you can be quite comfortable.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

If you decide on the Alpine Loop and Telluride, don't miss Alta Lakes. It's on the way to Telluride and there is a ghost town on the way to the lakes that makes for some great photo opportunities. I also posted a backroad trail from the Purgatory Resort to Alta Lakes (which gets you to the Telluride/Silverton/Alpine loop area). It's a lot slower than the highway but goes through absolutely gorgeous country with many photo opportunities also. The thread contains a few photos.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/durango-to-alta-lakes-co-through-purgatory.10898/#post-171342

-Curtiss

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

If you decide on the Alpine Loop and Telluride, don't miss Alta Lakes. It's on the way to Telluride and there is a ghost town on the way to the lakes that makes for some great photo opportunities. I also posted a backroad trail from the Purgatory Resort to Alta Lakes (which gets you to the Telluride/Silverton/Alpine loop area). It's a lot slower than the highway but goes through absolutely gorgeous country with many photo opportunities also. The thread contains a few photos.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/durango-to-alta-lakes-co-through-purgatory.10898/#post-171342

-Curtiss
Thanks! I’ll be staying in Telluride for 7 days so will have plenty of time to check this out.