best ceramic coating for pin stripes

• HTML tutorial

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
my beautiful 2016 decked out rig has taken a beating out hunting,,, pin stripes galore. what is the best ceramic coating to combat that? is there a better system? mine is defintely not a pavement princess.
anyone with any good experience, which brand? seems like a million out there?IMG_4336.JPEG

Reactions: Isaac_7e7dbf

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm all ears.

Tons of people say it can hurt paint. But it peels off of my work trucks easy breezy.

They look like new underneath. And we pinstripe against trees 10x worse than OL'ers do.

I'd love to get a white/black/grey mountain topo style version.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I use the products from Avalon King. I researched ceramic coatings and found there's good ones and poor ones. if you buy a good coating but don't prep it correctly, you waisted your money and time.
Their site has a good tutorial section so at least read up on the process.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have not tried the ceramic coating, went the good quality wax route for a while and it did help as long as you applied it regularly but was more ongoing work than I cared to do for not outstanding protection. the paint on our Grand Cherokee got the point where it had seen better days so we sprayed the exterior with color matched Raptor Liner about 4 years ago. fairly easy process in the driveway and around $600 total. It is a commitment and a one way trip as you have to scuff your paint and the two part epoxy is not coming off lol. However after 4 years of hard use on the NW brushy trails it looks as good as it did when we sprayed it, only has a couple of marks from the dogs toenails when she hung out the window. Color matches exactly to the factory paint when you open the doors. for us with an older rig that already had pinstripes etc it was the perfect choice, and gets a lot of comments when we are out.

For the JK it was in perfect condition and had never been off road when we purchased it so we did not want to commit to sanding down the paint so we went with the vinyl wrap. So far it has held up well with a few marks but no real damage yet. We are carful to avoid larger broken off branches that could rip the wrap, but have run lots of miles on brushy roads and are happy with its performance. You do have the option to have graphics printed on the wrap where you do not with the bedliner if you desire. A couple of things I would recommend would be to get a small section printed in advance and take it out to your rig in sunlight to check color and match to existing paint if you are not wrapping the entire vehicle also take a picture and/or look at it though sunglasses. The little patch they did for a test looked pretty close to factory paint, but when completed and in the sun was not near as close, and is much more off in photos or with polarizing glasses, likely due to pigments in the printing ink. If we do it again we will go with a standard gray and wrap the entire Jeep. As a bonus the mud and bugs seems to wash off easier from the wrap than the paint.

1701201733290.jpeg1701201785684.jpeg

sfonteno

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
seth
Last Name
fontenot
Ceramic coat is not any tougher then wax coat. It's just a fancy slightly longer lasting, more expensive option to polishing your clear coat.

Wraps or bust, most places with the new 3M wraps do not suggest ceramic coats anymore, it's more of a collectible car or muscle car thing.

Reactions: Outdoordog

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'll have to politely disagree.
What brand ceramic did you use, how did you install it, where did you test it and what did you compare it to?

I'm not sure what types you personally have tried but all of my vehicles will get this. I did the research and went and tested it. The brush that would cut my ceramic would have trashed wrap long before.

Also, of course wrap places are going to say don't use ceramics. That's money out of their pocket.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I'll have to politely disagree.
What brand ceramic did you use, how did you install it, where did you test it and what did you compare it to?

I'm not sure what types you personally have tried but all of my vehicles will get this. I did the research and went and tested it. The brush that would cut my ceramic would have trashed wrap long before.

Also, of course wrap places are going to say don't use ceramics. That's money out of their pocket.
Scott, for inquiring minds, how long have you used ceramic coating? Wondering how long it will last before reapplication is needed. Did you do it yourself or have a company/dealer install? Cost for a typical SUV?

The wrap we did was not cheap at around 3,500 but we did want graphics, we will call it an ok deal if we get 4-5 years out of it before it looks bad or fails. Always open to options for when we have to readdress the issue or get a different / additional rig.

Thanks

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I did the coating myself. Each of my vehicles took three days to complete. I started using it almost two years ago now on my Tacoma and about a year and a half on my Camaro. I'm getting ready to do a second spray coat on my Tacoma and first one on my Camaro. From what I read, the life span of the ceramic is about two years. This is based on a number of factors. Supposedly you can extend it to about five years if you periodically do a spray ceramic over it. I guess this adds to the layer already there.

In my area we have something called "Fallout". I have been told its due to my proximity to an airport. The fallout leave's a hard sap like rough coating on the paint and windshield.

So far, I have never found a wax that lasted more then a few months before the fallout started to build up again. I compare the paint to what collects on the windshield. The fallout starts sticking to the paint when the wax wears off. That's been my indication to clay bar and rewax. If its bad enough, acetone is what I end up using to clean it before the clay bar will work.

A bit over a year on the Camaro and I've only had to clean the fallout from the windshield. The paint is still very smooth.

The Tacoma has seen way less brush marks with the ceramic. I had never found a wax that actually helped. The ceramic has almost stopped them. I also stopped washing the Tacoma to see if it effect's the coating. Obviously dirt still sticks but washing the vehicles is like washing with a good coat of wax. This weekend will be 4 months (ish) since my last wash. I want to see how it look's after and then I will spray another light coat over it.

This is how I figure out if a product actually does what its suppose to. To me, it doesn't matter what people say. I want to know if it actually works in my environment. It isn't uncommon for something like this to take a couple of years for me to form an opinion. There's so many people out there raving about or condemning things they have either never used or used once. I prefer to give opinions on things I have used over time and most likely abused.

Forgot to add. I think I spent $120 on sale for enough to coat three cars and enough spray for three coatings. Haven't looked at the prices lately.
Also my neighbor just wrapped his work truck. The place suggested he ceramic coat the wrap. I'll be watching that closely.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
[/QUOTE]
Awesome, thanks for the detailed information. My wrap guy was mediocre at best, and did not think waxing or coating was a good idea, might do some more research on that, figure if the brush slips over the wrap better there should be less chance of damage. If you can provide the name of the product you used I will take a look and maybe try it out on my Ram, it just sits mostly and with our proximity to salt water the paint takes a beating.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I put a link to it in my first post. If you scroll down a bit on the home page, they have some good tutorials.
I'm curious to see how my neighbor does coating his wrap. He didn't pay attention to the instructions for the ceramic. Not sure if its going to work. On the other hand, I haven't purposely done it wrong to see what happens either.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Ceramic probably won't help against pin striping.

I've thought about wrapping, but seen ones that have been on trails and it tears it.

The best thing I've seen for protection against Bush and branches is those magnetic armor you slap on the panels.
Downside is they don't make them for all vehicles and the panel and magnet have to be clean of any debris before applying.

I have too many scratches and pinstripes already, so I just scratch the hell out of it, less stress when offroading lol. I'll just give it a nice paint job later.

sfonteno

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
First Name
seth
Last Name
fontenot
I did the coating myself. Each of my vehicles took three days to complete. I started using it almost two years ago now on my Tacoma and about a year and a half on my Camaro. I'm getting ready to do a second spray coat on my Tacoma and first one on my Camaro. From what I read, the life span of the ceramic is about two years. This is based on a number of factors. Supposedly you can extend it to about five years if you periodically do a spray ceramic over it. I guess this adds to the layer already there.

In my area we have something called "Fallout". I have been told its due to my proximity to an airport. The fallout leave's a hard sap like rough coating on the paint and windshield.

So far, I have never found a wax that lasted more then a few months before the fallout started to build up again. I compare the paint to what collects on the windshield. The fallout starts sticking to the paint when the wax wears off. That's been my indication to clay bar and rewax. If its bad enough, acetone is what I end up using to clean it before the clay bar will work.

A bit over a year on the Camaro and I've only had to clean the fallout from the windshield. The paint is still very smooth.

The Tacoma has seen way less brush marks with the ceramic. I had never found a wax that actually helped. The ceramic has almost stopped them. I also stopped washing the Tacoma to see if it effect's the coating. Obviously dirt still sticks but washing the vehicles is like washing with a good coat of wax. This weekend will be 4 months (ish) since my last wash. I want to see how it look's after and then I will spray another light coat over it.

This is how I figure out if a product actually does what its suppose to. To me, it doesn't matter what people say. I want to know if it actually works in my environment. It isn't uncommon for something like this to take a couple of years for me to form an opinion. There's so many people out there raving about or condemning things they have either never used or used once. I prefer to give opinions on things I have used over time and most likely abused.

Forgot to add. I think I spent $120 on sale for enough to coat three cars and enough spray for three coatings. Haven't looked at the prices lately.
Also my neighbor just wrapped his work truck. The place suggested he ceramic coat the wrap. I'll be watching that closely.
3M 0.2 mm self repairing pro film is going to outperform ceramic coating 100% of the time if it's applied correctly, assuming you are going out often enough to damage paint. If you want something that looks fantastic, ceramic for days. If you are thrashing in forests taking limbs to your side panels, 3M vinyl. (Or even better, panel armor.)

The goal is to prevent damage that will cause long term rust/metal damage, vinyl. If the goal is to show off the paint and also protect it from normal driving conditions, ceramic.

DIY? Ceramic is probably cheaper for materials, way more for hours and chance of screwing up. It is not going to stop a giant branch dragging across your hood.

Getting the service done? Ceramic coat is hours for 3 days of work and go up into the $2-3k range if you go somewhere that does it right. Wrap is 800-1000 depending on where you live.

Another option is a thick coat of DIP or bed liner OP, you see a lot of bronco/jeep guys just throw bed liner on the body and just give up trying to use something "pretty", and instead just 100% try and prevent damage long term.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
3M 0.2 mm self repairing pro film is going to outperform ceramic coating 100% of the time if it's applied correctly,
I'm going to assume this is what you run and have at least somewhat abused. My self, I have not run any wraps but have researched them. Unfortunately, the only feedback I've seen is from people who install only or don't go off-road. The wraps I have seen have not held up but, I have no idea what they used in the way of product. Based on what I see so far there's no clear advantage to either.

As for bed liner, I will never use that again. Not only have I used two major brands but have seen a number of vehicles over the years with it. With an exception of one, all of them have chipped, chunked and (or) faded after about 5 years. I have Raptor liner on my M-100, Monsta on the sides of my cruiser and rock sliders. As soon as I get time, I'm going to have to grind the sides of my cruiser down to bare metal and paint it. I've worked closely with both manufactures and both materials are applied correctly. The one I saw that didn't have an issue was my neighbors truck. He had what looked like 1/4" of Linex sprayed on it. I personally don't want that thick of a coating.

My goal for this is to actually wrap the vehicle after I paint it. I guess in five odd years from now, I'll voice an opinion on that after I thoroughly abuse it.

BTW cost on ceramic is going to be under 200 if you do it yourself. That's not buying the cheap stuff. Theres a huge markup on the product. Wrap in my area is about 2500 for a mid sized SUV here.