Best budget overland vehicle? - 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i (build thread)

• HTML tutorial

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

dig the simple build. im surprised you experienced no driveline issues with the amount of lift you have on there.
Its been a 2+ years now and still no issues.
I did get a 3 year alignment package through my local tire shop.
So I take it in every 4 months for a quick alignment while I wait. But thats about it. And honestly, that might be overkill.
I haven't really noticed anything wrong and I do take it up jeep trails semi-regularly.

Thanks for the kind words!

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Great example of a KISS build (Keep It Super Simple). Low cost, low weight, high efficiency.

re: fogs
I find most Cali drivers to fall into two categories- 1) Overly aggressive and 2) Completely inattentive. Both have a tendency to cut me off or pull out in front of me at unsafe distances. I put LEDs in my fogs and run those as daytime running lamps to be seen better. When traffic is heavy, I run my headlights as well. My driving has been noticeably safer with more light upfront.

My advice, get the fog lights and run them as DRLs.

Cheers
Solid point.

And yes,
I actually ended up installing OEM fogs right after I posted this article.
well worth it and really gave the car a little facelift.

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Great write up- thanks for posting. I really appreciate the philosophy behind your build. What’s needed/what’s not, less expensive solutions, daily driver capable, etc.
I’m planning a very similar setup and was going to go with the primitive lift kit with the king springs, so it’s good to hear your positive review of those.
Thanks!

Definitely still loving the King Springs and 2" spacer lift.
Wouldn't change back for the world. ITs fun to rally her around like an old pickup truck and she does great on washboard roads and can hold her own on jeep trails.

Once my Hankook ATM's need replacing I plan to go with some KO2's, and maybe doll her up with a new set of rally style rims. Not because I need em. The stock rims have been fantastic.
But after a few years, some change is always fun.