Best budget 4x4/SUV

• HTML tutorial

4x4_gringo

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi All,

My first post here so sorry for being a bit of a newbie. I'm just starting to plan my first overlanding trip. I'm currently based in Bogota and the trip will be through South America. Firstly I obviously need a vehicle so i wanted to see if people in here have any experience with buying 4x4/SUV in South America.

Used vehicles are quite expensive here so i'm currently looking at vehicles from around the mid 90's till early 00's. The ones that look promising so far are:

Toyota 4runner
Jeep cherokee
Nissan Pathfinder.

I would like it to be reliable and can be easily worked on if needed, spare parts readily available and anything else you guys suggest i be aware of. Not looking for all the bells and whistles on this first trip.

What are the pros and cons of these vehicles? Anything i should look out for with vehicles of this age? Anyone know if parts for these are easy to come by across SA? Any reason why you wouldn't buy one of these and if so, would it be strongly advised to extend my budget for a newer version or for an entirely different vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
While you are looking at Jeep Cherokees (XJ), don't rule out the Grand Cherokees (ZJ). The ZJs tend to go for less money (at least around here) and are not all that different from the XJs. The only major difference being that XJs have leaf spring rear suspension and ZJs have coil spring rear suspension. ZJs can also be had with a V-8, but I would recommend trying to stick with the 4.0L inline 6 as it is a very durable engine. The WJ Grand Cherokee leaves more to be desired in my book, but it can also be had with the 4.0L, so it might be worth looking at.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Given the aftermarket support and reliability, I think the second gen Xterras are probably the best bang for your buck.

That said, you can't go wrong with an FJ Cruiser.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am kind of partial to the Jeep Cherokee XJ. (have 3)

Issues:
Rusted floor boards especially above the muffler.
Upper door hinges pulling away from the A pillar, more so on the 2 doors but happens occasionally on 4 doors as well.
Valve cover leak
Oil filter adapter leak
Rear main seal leak
Cracked exhaust manifold where all the pipes meet at the collector

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am kind of partial to the Jeep Cherokee XJ. (have 3)

Issues:
Rusted floor boards especially above the muffler.
Upper door hinges pulling away from the A pillar, more so on the 2 doors but happens occasionally on 4 doors as well.
Valve cover leak
Oil filter adapter leak
Rear main seal leak
Cracked exhaust manifold where all the pipes meet at the collector
Don't forget the need to carry a spare CPS and 3' worth of extensions so you can change it on the trail.

I am also kind of partial to the XJ, and even have three of them myself.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

4x4_gringo

Rank 0

Traveler I

I took a look for the xterra and there are literally none on the selling sites so looks like the are pretty few and far between so i would be a bit concerned in how rare parts could be. At the moment i'm leaning towards a Toyota just because of how many you see on the roads here and a lot more buying options.

Matt2105

Rank 0

Contributor I

NOLA
Id look at the Mitsubishi Montero (Pajero) as well. Lots of support for the vehicle around the world and you can by early 00s in good shape for under $5k.

4x4_gringo

Rank 0

Traveler I

Id look at the Mitsubishi Montero (Pajero) as well. Lots of support for the vehicle around the world and you can by early 00s in good shape for under $5k.
Yeah i quite like the Montero as well. Good to know that there is quite a lot of support for them.

Unfortunately it is more like $10k for a early 00's one here but actually reasonably priced in comparison to everything else.