Best Bang for Buck Overland Rig

• HTML tutorial

What is the Best Budget Overland Rig? (Feel free to suggest others for addition to the poll)

• Jeep Cherokee

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Toyota Land Cruiser

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Land Rover Disco

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Isuzu Trooper

• Suzuki Samurai

• Toyota 4Runner

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Toyota Tacoma

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

The Cherokee Chief/Super Chief idea isn't bad. Trouble will be finding one in the Ohio area that isn't a rust bucket on wheels. Probably still get more for my money if I went newer. I really want to go to a classic though, just more my speed. It's not just going to be the family OV rig, but a semi restoration as it goes. That was the end goal with the Willys Truck, still want it with the next rig. Sure creature and riding comforts aren't going to be as nice, but that's part of the forced family fun!

The Ramcharger, Cherokee, Wagoneer & FJ55/60/62's all have very similar wheelbases. I think all are viable options, providing I can find one of them once I get the Willys truck sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterpeg

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I love old Toyota's, but they are getting pricey. For the money, ease of getting parts, and working on them, you can't beat an old square body Chevy K5 or Suburban.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I agree with the Blaze, Ramcharger, and Bronco suggestion. I would also support the Cherokee and Grand Cherokees. Of course there is the early Nissan Pathfinders.

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So I've been digging Craigslist up all weekend. If I can find a classic like a FJ or Wagoneer it is either priced insanely or has been used in a mud bog for the last three years. However, what I can find are very clean Land River Discovery's and Range Rover's. They all seem to be 150K or less on miles and tend to be 2000-05. All seem to be in the $2500-4000 range, is it worth it? I don't know enough about them to know if they would make good vehicles.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

The Disco and Range Rover are great vehicles with stellar 4X4 systems. They will 5 to 10 years ahead of the competition with a lot of their technology. The Range Rover is also probably one of the passenger friendly rides. But.....the engines tend to develop heat issues with that many miles and blow head gaskets which will cost you a set of heads. If you get one with a strong maintenance history you could possible catch it before it cost a set of heads. They are also very technically advanced with air ride suspensions which is great for the first owner but can be a very costly endeavor for the next owners. If you are not scared of doing the work yourself and can find someone with Land Rover knowledge they can be great rides.

Lane Boatright

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

B
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Boat
Member #

The Disco and Range Rover are great vehicles with stellar 4X4 systems. They will 5 to 10 years ahead of the competition with a lot of their technology. The Range Rover is also probably one of the passenger friendly rides. But.....the engines tend to develop heat issues with that many miles and blow head gaskets which will cost you a set of heads. If you get one with a strong maintenance history you could possible catch it before it cost a set of heads. They are also very technically advanced with air ride suspensions which is great for the first owner but can be a very costly endeavor for the next owners. If you are not scared of doing the work yourself and can find someone with Land Rover knowledge they can be great rides.
First of all nice ramcharger. What year? Mine is a 88. My land rover has 130k and heads blow at about 120k my 3 amigo lights are on but other than replacing the starter, it hasn't given me too many problems besides with a battery.

Reactions: jhewitt03

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Hey Lane, I've got an 88 as well with a newish 360 swap and FiTech injection. How old is you Land Rover? A coworker has an LR3 and the air suspension leaks down every day so he sits for about 5 minutes each afternoon waiting for it to inflate.

Reactions: Lane Boatright

Lane Boatright

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

B
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Boat
Member #

Hey Lane, I've got an 88 as well with a newish 360 swap and FiTech injection. How old is you Land Rover? A coworker has an LR3 and the air suspension leaks down every day so he sits for about 5 minutes each afternoon waiting for it to inflate.
Mine is a 2000, but does not have the air suspension

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Mid 90s vintage Discos & RRCs are amazing vehicles, and can be had for <5k. However, at this price point, you need to be aware of the rust issues. If the truck has been in the SW most of its life, it shouldn't be an issue. Trucks from the NE are probably basket cases & good for parts only. Only the RRC had EAS on all four, but it's almost impossible to find one in this price point that's still intact. Most have been converted to coils.
As for the overheating issues, the 3.9/4.2 are fine, provided they've been maintained. I know a lot of folks that have put Mercedes OM6 or other diesels in, but you probably won't find it in a sub 5k rig.
Bottom line, any rig you find for <5k most likely will require additional budget to make it reliable or do what you want.

Forgot to mention, the RRC LWB is fantastic for family overlanding. Extra 10 in of rear legroom make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: rking.1688

Cornfred

Rank I

Contributor III

I'm in the market for a new 4x4 and am looking for something to use overlanding. I have to stay under 5k and don't have loyalty to a any certain brand. So in everyone's opinion what's the best vehicle?

I apologize if there is a thread on this subject already. I searched and couldn't find one.

Sent from my SM-G530T using OB Talk mobile app

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Honestly, the right choice will be different for everyone, and different for you at different times in your life. I say be patient, vigilant and do TONS of research. Don't force yourself into something that you're not 100% ok with fixing, loving and living with. Trust me, I own a 1992 GMC Typhoon …lol.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Under $5k is tough. But for me I have had the most luck with GM. I have had Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Ford and GM trucks....and for me at least GM has been by far the most reliable. Others have had different experiences with other brands. But I don't consider myself a brand loyalist by any means.

sometimes a rig just speaks to you. Whether you like how it looks, how it performs or just how it feels. Before I got my H3, I was actually looking for a Jeep or other SUV with offroad cred. I never even looked into or considered a Hummer, but when I decided to test drive one on a whim, everything fell into place. Go try different vehicles and see what fits

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Under $5k is tough.
Yep.

Some of the Jeep Patriots and Compass's are getting up in years, and the FD1 / FD2 are pretty darned respectable for the money. We've got nearly 45,000 miles on a 2015 without a hitch, and I have read about them going well over 200,000 miles without many issues.

There should be PLENTY of Rav 4's out there for that money as well.

Best of luck !

Reactions: Luis Merlo