Woodbridge, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cimoli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6UDC
I am trying to find the best action camera out there to record runs and then edit and upload to youtube or to my website. I have looked at the new gopro 7 and the sony action cam. Are they are others out there that you could recommend and why? What have been your experiences with them? What are features that I should look for? Any suggestions or help would be great.

Thank you

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I just started my YouTube channel, so far I am using an old gopro hero, and my cell phone. And they work great.
I would recommend a tripod and some sort of handle. The last trip I was on, I had issues placing the gopro on the trail and getting some of the shots I wanted...
Also don't forget a filming camera records all your audio!!! Learned quickly that silence is golden. Lol
Also play with whatever you decide to use, learn what it can or cant do. Do this before you are on the trail and miss filming gold, missed some beautiful shots of a jeep on a rock...wasn't as close as the camera needed me to be.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

In terms of quality, look at gopro and Sony, stay away from the cheapest, some gopros have serious problems with sound, check the reviews/tests before buying.
Yi 4k is also a good camera, but I don't know anything about availability in the US...
I'm using cheap sjcam cams, because they are cheap... But quality isn't really good, they sell better sjcams to but again, I don't want to spend much money on this.
Use good quality tripods and vehicle mounts, if you are filming stuff and you want your voice being good and real clear use a external audio recorder.
Autoedit Jason has some good stuff on his YouTube channel about that.