Best 1-2 person tent/swag?

• HTML tutorial

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I do a lot of solo trips and I would like any experiences or recommendations y'all have on smaller, easier to set up tents. Price isn't not a concern if the quality is worth it, thanks.

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

2nd the Malamoo. Is space a premium? I know it is in the 2dr JK or my motorcycle. I use the GSI Pinnacle backpacker sets for cooking and a compact sleeping bag.

'11 Rubicon ; '09 Outback ; '09 Yamaha FZ1

Reactions: TnK1

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
I just went from a RTT to a ground tent . The CVT Black Butte is literally a 30 second set up. Open bag, swing out two lower rails. pull roof up and snap side support rods in place. Tie downs add an few extra minutes. 5-10 minutes max for one person. But hey, your camping. what's the rush, right?

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I just went from a RTT to a ground tent . The CVT Black Butte is literally a 30 second set up. Open bag, swing out two lower rails. pull roof up and snap side support rods in place. Tie downs add an few extra minutes. 5-10 minutes max for one person. But hey, your camping. what's the rush, right?
I will probably be doing a rtt later as well but it will go on a trailer I don't want that on top of an fj with 6" lift

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: RideFlyDiveJeep

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I just bought the Kodiak, haven't been able to use it outside of my living room but it seems top notch so far!
Excellent. A test subject[emoji3] there are a couple of things I'd like to know

1 if I add an extra pad 2-3" and comforter and a wool blanket do you think the tie straps will be long enough when I want to roll it up?

Have you seen the ridge poll trick? Jason @ primal outdoors
Interested in your thoughts

john_boh

Rank 0

Traveler I

My wife and I have a Tupia two person tent. We've only used it a couple times but it's stood up and is comfortable in rain, snow, 40 mph winds(it was pretty loud but we sheltered, and safe) set-up and take down takes about 10-15min with one person. It has a thick foam mattress that seems to get more comfortable every time we sleep on it. I prefer it over most hotel beds.
If you hiking but bivy sacks are awesome for solo's, they are simple light weight, takes up little space and commonly pretty durable. Ive also found that hammocks can be really comfortable.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Excellent. A test subject[emoji3] there are a couple of things I'd like to know

1 if I add an extra pad 2-3" and comforter and a wool blanket do you think the tie straps will be long enough when I want to roll it up?

Have you seen the ridge poll trick? Jason @ primal outdoors
Interested in your thoughts

oh yea the straps are super long. I'm gunna try and get out the first weekend in april so ill let you know what i think. I love the primal outdoors channel

Reactions: Vincent Keith

Phase2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Berkley, MI
Member #

I use the REI Quarter Dome. It packs very small, is very lightweight, easy to set up, and a good amount of room inside.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
i got an older northface tadpole, still good as new and my kids will likely inherit that. I've recently bought a hammock (the cheap one) for occasional use and the few times i've used it i actually like it so i plan to sleep there next time (my wife and 2 kids get the RTT).

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Our 2 person tent is an old Kelty Zen. It weighs about 4 lbs, and folds down to about the size of a 2L bottle of soda. Only two poles, has an excellent rain fly, stands up to wind really well, but you really do need to stake it out to properly set it up, which might be a challenge on slick rock. We've had it for years, and it's held up perfectly. I don't know if they still make it, but I just saw it for sale on overstock for something like $115. I'd buy it again-

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

For self reliant pack shelter I carry a Wiggys single person bivy shelter. it packs small,, weighs maybe 2.5 lbs and kept me warm and dry. I have used it in lots of remote environments and keep it in the vehicle when traveling just in case. I find it an excellent bit of kit and not too expensive. http://www.wiggys.com/shelters/single-person-bivi-shelter/
He has updated it with a new material since I bought mine which I hear is even better.
--
Rick

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

When I go out on my lonesome, I take the Marmot Tungsten. Really quick and easy to put up with plenty of space for gear. I opted for a two-man tent because although I do spend time outside most of the day / evening, I like to spend the last hour or two inside the tent reading or catching a movie so the space is nice. I believe it's a 3-season tent though. I picked it up at one of REI's used gear sale practically new for $60. It's small enough I can tuck most of it under the ARB awning in case of rain so I can get in and out without getting drenched.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
https://mytrailco.com/collections/tents/products/pyramid-3-shelter
This company is a reboot of Golite. We have 2 of the Golite Shangri-la 3 tipi/tents and could not be happier with them. They pack small enough for backpacking and are luxurious for 2 plus gear. The tipi shape is ver resistant to wind load and the tent has secondary guy line loops to secure even better. I have used it in all seasons east and west coast, never had a problem. I further simplified and lowered the weight by buying a one piece aluminum hiking staff and use one section of the tent pole as a pole jack. Setup is dirt simple as long as you can operate tent pegs. The Nest can also be used without the fly for bug free stargazing.

Reactions: britz