• HTML tutorial

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I'm trying to get started on a trip to Nova Scotia in the late spring/early summer. My schedule is in flux because I'm attached to a ship.

I have a stock 2000 Jeep Cherokee that's about to get an overhaul for this trip. I really have no idea where to start, other than getting gear together and building my xj.

As far as the route goes, I'm starting in Norfolk, VA then heading to my parents house in Hollidaysburg, PA to pick up the dog. From there I'm going to pick my way up the coast to Portland, ME and catch a ferry to Yarmouth,Nova Scotia. Then a again pick my way up the coast to Halifax.

On the way back I'd like to hit the trails. Starting by heading over into New Brunswick and down into Maine. I hear from alot of guys on the ship from Maine that there is alot of trails. I want to head through Maine via those trails. From there see how time is and start heading south. Estimated time of trip 14 to 15 days.

Now I know this is a very long trip, and my main concern is that it's my first solo trip. I have confidence in my rig, she's been my pavement princess for the last 2 years with no major issues, but that's about to change. I've got a 3in lift and 31s in mind, as well as some armor and accommodations for me.

I have camping experience so that part of it doesn't worry as much as mechanical and recovery stuff does.

So with that said I'm asking for help. Whether it be advise, trail recommendations, rig help, or whatever I'll take what I can get.
I'd like also to go on some of the runs you guys (and girls) have going to get ready for this. If you're interested in coming with me on the trip, I'd love to have you. Even if it's just for a section, it will make the trip alot better.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Last edited:

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

First off.. Good luck and travel safe.

Second.. The last couple of days I have been looking at a route to PEI (Prince Edward Island). My wife has been bugging me to go there. I see you mentioned the ferry out of Portland, ME. to NS. The Cat would be a cool ride at that. I have tried looking (briefly) at the cost of this but the season has closed and prices will not be available till next season in the spring. Unless you know something I don't.

While I'm at it, You mention you dog. Make sure he/she has all their shots, Plus have a copy on you for border crossing. They will ask for them.

As for trails. Would be awesome to do something like that, but that is not in the cards right now. Wife is form Canada and would want to get back to her home town to visit. I also want to stop in the Bay of Fundy for a day or two, too witness the tide change. I figure that would be a neat thing for the kiddo to see. Hell, Who am I kidding... Me too.

~Bill

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Well I was tentatively planning for May or June. So they should be open again by then. As for the dog, alrighty looked into it he's all good.
And finally if you'd like to go up with us, let me know.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Well I was tentatively planning for May or June. So they should be open again by then. As for the dog, alrighty looked into it he's all good.
And finally if you'd like to go up with us, let me know.
Good deal. My wife usually goes back in the July/August time frame. That said, She might change up if I told her what I wanted to do (was gonna spring it on her as it got closer).

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Aaron-
Howdy from a fellow Virginian!
My wife and I did the exact same trip as you are planning from the end of August to the first week of September. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have although we didn't do many off-road trails up there.
Fist thing I would reccomend is getting a campground reservation for the first night you get off the ferry. By the time you go through customs it's will be close to 10pm so not having to find a place might be worthwhile.
I assume you're in the Navy and if so I would definitely reccomend a couple of days in Halifax...a lot of history, both military and otherwise there, plus it's a great town.
Another great place to explore is Fort Louisberg (sp?) that is like Williamsburg but bigger and no crowds.
You should also take a run out to Meat Cove on the extreme eastern end of NS.

If on your way back through Maine you want to stop at Acadia NP be sure to have a reservation as there is no place to camp without one (ask me how I know..).

Other neat places to see include Campobello and the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck...

I could go on but you get the idea.

Reactions: Road and NiXJ

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

I have actually stopped at Acadia before with my parents. Great stop, I went there 4 times and there was still more trails I wanted to go on. Also thank you, I will definitely pic your brain for some suggestions.

Reactions: smlobx

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Last night I swerved to miss a deer and hit the guard rail. So now my jeep is out of commission. It will probably take all of my mod money to fix it. And I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to go up north. So this thread will be dead for a while.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Sorry about the deer but looks like it might be time for a good off-road bumper!

Reactions: NiXJ

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

Well this is my daily so I would but getting 15 to 18 mpg is bad enough. so Im trying keep her light and lowish (2.5in lift).
But right now I need to get it fixed then see what I have left. I have a fixed income thats pretty low. So if I go north (fingers crossed) I need to keep it cheap. it just sucks I didn't even get started, but I'm glad I didn't put in the CB that I got. The antenna mount is right where the rear quarter panel was caved in.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Won't your comprehensive insurance cover it (minus your deductible)?

My wife hit a deer two years ago and it only cost us the deductible and since it was against our comprehensive (not collision) it didn't count against her and her rates didn't go up the following year.

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
I was thinking of a trip along the same line this summer, though I will be running a pretty bone stock Escape for the trip. Planning to head up the New England coast, following the coast around via New Brunswick, then PEI, then follow the Nova Scotia around to Halifax/Darthmouth, then to Yarmouth, then back around.

More road trip/adventure then any serious trail riding, but it seemed like a fun adventure to film/photograph. Not sure how the resources will play out, or the total timeframe for the trip, just starting he planning stages.

Reactions: Hafaday

NiXJ

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gulfport, MS, USA
Member #

I was thinking of a trip along the same line this summer, though I will be running a pretty bone stock Escape for the trip. Planning to head up the New England coast, following the coast around via New Brunswick, then PEI, then follow the Nova Scotia around to Halifax/Darthmouth, then to Yarmouth, then back around.

More road trip/adventure then any serious trail riding, but it seemed like a fun adventure to film/photograph. Not sure how the resources will play out, or the total timeframe for the trip, just starting he planning stages.
Well do to recent events I will be pushing the trip to mid summer in order to get ready. If you are able to come you are welcome. I have one other person interested at the moment. I was originally going to take more off road routes,but due to my budget it will have to wait. So if I do go this trip will be stock friendly.

Reactions: MrCoffee

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Sounds awesome! Lets figure the route out over the next few months. Maybe find a meet up spot somewhere along the NH seacoast?

MECA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

north conway, nh
Member #

I believe the Portland ferry takes you to Yarmouth, NS. We have done the trip a few times both taking the ferry and driving. If you are on a budget I suggest you drive, the ferry is around $300 and they charge for your dog and a sleeping berth!. When it's all said and done (getting to the ferry 2 hours ahead, 5 hour ferry ride, 1.5 hours to unload and then you're at the bottom of the province) it doesn't take much longer to drive and you arrive in the middle of the province, Cape Bretton is to the north and Halifax to the south. Get a reservation at 'Meat Cove Campground' at the northern tip of NS and ask for a water's edge site (or the Peninsula site), you won't regret it.

If you take Route #95 to Bangor Maine then Route #9 to St Stephen, NB there are some incredible free, first come, first serve, very basic campsites immediately off the highway and right on the Machias River (maybe 30 miles from the border).

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I believe the Portland ferry takes you to Yarmouth, NS. We have done the trip a few times both taking the ferry and driving. If you are on a budget I suggest you drive, the ferry is around $300 and they charge for your dog and a sleeping berth!. When it's all said and done (getting to the ferry 2 hours ahead, 5 hour ferry ride, 1.5 hours to unload and then you're at the bottom of the province) it doesn't take much longer to drive and you arrive in the middle of the province, Cape Bretton is to the north and Halifax to the south. Get a reservation at 'Meat Cove Campground' at the northern tip of NS and ask for a water's edge site (or the Peninsula site), you won't regret it.

If you take Route #95 to Bangor Maine then Route #9 to St Stephen, NB there are some incredible free, first come, first serve, very basic campsites immediately off the highway and right on the Machias River (maybe 30 miles from the border).
I used to drive Rt 9 all the time from Bangor to Rt 1 near Calais at the NB border. It was called the Airline then, back decades ago, though don't know if they still use that name. Winds around, up and down, several whalebacks in a row, etc. Always loved going up Calais on the Airline, then down the coast on Rt 1 to Ellsworth.

And yep, the ferry from Portland goes straight across to Yarmouth, though if you decide to do that, be sure you get to the right ferry terminal in Portland so you don't miss the boat. They're close to one another; Casco Bay Lines Terminal on Maine State Pier (local island ferries) and Portland Terminal on Ocean Gateway Pier.

The CAT Ferry looks like it'd be fun to do once or twice, but I really love going over land up the coast of Maine through all the small villages, then through New Brunswick, take the ferry over to PEI. If you have the time, you're really missing the best part, far as Nova Scotia goes, if you only do the lower third and don't go up and across the Canso Causeway (deepest causeway in the world) to Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. Matches Big Sur in splendor and views.

They used to have two ferries from NB to PEI, each at different departure/arrival points, but I think it's down to one now, since they built the new Confederation bridge. Used to go over one from NB, explore PEI, then cross back over the Northumberland Straits to Nova Scotia on the other one. PEI is a lovely place to explore, with red, black, and white sand beaches.

I'm tentatively planning a small group exploration myself up that way come spring, though may be gone longer than a lot of folks might like. Also may depend on work I'm getting done to my van out west. I want to explore more of Cape Breton's national and provincial parks and hope to make contact with some off-road groups up in NB, NS, and QC for recommendations on trails I can do in future. I'd be willing to meet up with folks if we happen to be up that way same time.

Last edited: