Rank III

Enthusiast I

Los Alamos, Los Alamos County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Hello all! So I’m getting my rig outfitted with all the required hardware to be ready for the trail by may but one thing that is completely out of my element is the required technology to ensure I maintain a comprehensive journey.

My question is what do I need!!?? iPad, amateur radio, regular citizen band, garmin Inreach, cell booster , skylink, what apps etc., etc??

Would a veteran mind given some insight as to allow us new folks to purchase the needed equipment please.

This may have already been discussed in these threads but I can’t seem to find it.

Please and thank you!

RR

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Hello all! So I’m getting my rig outfitted with all the required hardware to be ready for the trail by may but one thing that is completely out of my element is the required technology to ensure I maintain a comprehensive journey.

My question is what do I need!!?? iPad, amateur radio, regular citizen band, garmin Inreach, cell booster , skylink, what apps etc., etc??

Would a veteran mind given some insight as to allow us new folks to purchase the needed equipment please.

This may have already been discussed in these threads but I can’t seem to find it.

Please and thank you!

RR
Biggest tip is especially starting out is go with another person. Just go out there and have fun. Another person there would help you stay out of trouble.

Don’t spend too much money upfront. Get some miles under your belt and see what you need. I would say gaia or onX OffRoad on your phone is a good start before you ho the route of iPad. Handheld walkie talkies are good enough for now to talk to your buddy. Let someone at home know the area you are going.

First thing to spend money on is good AT/MT tires. Then it would be recovery gear (shovel, kinetic rope, maybe recovery boards, etc.). Again, buy the basics until you get miles and then buy the upgrades as you get more experience/ skills to use them.

Just go out and have fun!

RaptorRon

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Please and thank you!

RR
Biggest tip is especially starting out is go with another person. Just go out there and have fun. Another person there would help you stay out of trouble.

Don’t spend too much money upfront. Get some miles under your belt and see what you need. I would say gaia or onX OffRoad on your phone is a good start before you ho the route of iPad. Handheld walkie talkies are good enough for now to talk to your buddy. Let someone at home know the area you are going.

First thing to spend money on is good AT/MT tires. Then it would be recovery gear (shovel, kinetic rope, maybe recovery boards, etc.). Again, buy the basics until you get miles and then buy the upgrades as you get more experience/ skills to use them.

I’m running a stock 2019 Raptor and will be installing a winch and getting my rack , tent and the extras this weekend. Still trying to find some folks to go with for my first outing. Wanting to try and get miles under me before may, want to go to Moab then and enjoy the lords work.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Please and thank you!

RR

I’m running a stock 2019 Raptor and will be installing a winch and getting my rack , tent and the extras this weekend. Still trying to find some folks to go with for my first outing. Wanting to try and get miles under me before may, want to go to Moab then and enjoy the lords work.
If you already have a winch, then you definitely want to get some training on how to use it.you will need soft or hard shackles as well. Also need either a recovery ring or snatch block.

I’d recommend finding an off road group near you to go out with and get the experience/learning. 90% of the time off road eta are more than willing to teach new people.

A raptor is a very capable rig so you’ll have a blast. Welcome to the full size club.

Reactions: El-Dracho

RaptorRon

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Please and thank you!

RR

If you already have a winch, then you definitely want to get some training on how to use it.you will need soft or hard shackles as well. Also need either a recovery ring or snatch block.

I’d recommend finding an off road group near you to go out with and get the experience/learning. 90% of the time off road eta are more than willing to teach new people.

A raptor is a very capable rig so you’ll have a blast. Welcome to the full size club.
My first rig was a 79 CJ 7 when I was 17 and I absolutely tortured that Jeep. Broke the frame in half and then welded in a new one. I’ve been “ off roading “ for a while but overlanding is whole different beast. Ya just can’t call a buddy to come get ya when you miles off the grid. I’ve used winches and back in the day 200’ come along to get out of situations but I’m 50 now and want to enjoy myself lol. Thank you for the advise and hope to see ya on the trail sometime.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

Davidinaz21

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Santiago
Member #

Hello Ron and welcome to the adventure. I agree with the others by saying don't spend $$$ and don't go alone. Take a friend and another vehicle. Cheap radios work to talk to each other. I used to print maps from Google, high light them and then give them or email them to some friends. This way if I wasn't home by a certain time they knew where to start looking. Thankfully, that never happened. Lol. Take your time a learn what you can. Gaia or OnX gps apps would be a good start though. Remember your phone's compass should work through it's gps even without cell service. Good luck and enjoy.

RaptorRon

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Hello Ron and welcome to the adventure. I agree with the others by saying don't spend $$$ and don't go alone. Take a friend and another vehicle. Cheap radios work to talk to each other. I used to print maps from Google, high light them and then give them or email them to some friends. This way if I wasn't home by a certain time they knew where to start looking. Thankfully, that never happened. Lol. Take your time a learn what you can. Gaia or OnX gps apps would be a good start though. Remember your phone's compass should work through it's gps even without cell service. Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks David. Do you recommend using a Garmin Inreach just for communication? Also I already have an iPad mini so what apps would you recommend to use and I’ve used sideband a lot in my younger days so using a HAM setup is a good investment?

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Please and thank you!

RR

My first rig was a 79 CJ 7 when I was 17 and I absolutely tortured that Jeep. Broke the frame in half and then welded in a new one. I’ve been “ off roading “ for a while but overlanding is whole different beast. Ya just can’t call a buddy to come get ya when you miles off the grid. I’ve used winches and back in the day 200’ come along to get out of situations but I’m 50 now and want to enjoy myself lol. Thank you for the advise and hope to see ya on the trail sometime.
Ah if that’s the case then nothing really needed. In reality overlanding is just car camping. Take the bare necessaries and buy as you go out more. You’ll find that you’ll change your camping setup the more you go out as you fine tune what you want.

The apps will probably be the only “overlanding” thing I would say that is required.

Davidinaz21

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Arizona, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Santiago
Member #

Thanks David. Do you recommend using a Garmin Inreach just for communication? Also I already have an iPad mini so what apps would you recommend to use and I’ve used sideband a lot in my younger days so using a HAM setup is a good investment?
I try to NEVER GO OUT ALONE. I have my cell, a GMRS and an FRS radio. No Garmin. I use Gaia on my phone. I've never heard of Sideband and a good GMRS would probably serve you better than HAM now a days. I do have an ipad but have never taken it with me. I'll probably start. I'm also looking to upgrade my cell to the iphone 14. It has satellite texting capability.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

If I understand the question " the required technology to ensure I maintain a comprehensive journey", it sounds like you're asking how to get where you want to go, do what you want to do, and maybe record some data from the excursion. If that's the case, it doesn't have to be too complicated or expensive.

We use an iPad running Gaia for navigation. You can do pretty much the same thing with good maps and a little skill.
Our current vehicle is pretty capable off road (4X4 van, lift, lockers, big tires, etc.), but we went a lot of cool places with stock pickups.
My wife and I both enjoy photography, so we use DSLR cameras. Most cell phones have pretty good still/video cameras built in, so you can get good pictures without going broke.
Finally, any old notebook is better than the best memory. Write stuff down. How detailed you get is up to you. Distances, cool campsites, tough trails, good or bad places to eat, whatever seems important to you.

You don't need all the coolest gear to have fun. Go with some basics and add stuff you just can't do without as you figure it out.

You're in a good spot. Beginning new things is a lot of fun.

Reactions: DintDobbs

RaptorRon

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

If I understand the question " the required technology to ensure I maintain a comprehensive journey", it sounds like you're asking how to get where you want to go, do what you want to do, and maybe record some data from the excursion. If that's the case, it doesn't have to be too complicated or expensive.

We use an iPad running Gaia for navigation. You can do pretty much the same thing with good maps and a little skill.
Our current vehicle is pretty capable off road (4X4 van, lift, lockers, big tires, etc.), but we went a lot of cool places with stock pickups.
My wife and I both enjoy photography, so we use DSLR cameras. Most cell phones have pretty good still/video cameras built in, so you can get good pictures without going broke.
Finally, any old notebook is better than the best memory. Write stuff down. How detailed you get is up to you. Distances, cool campsites, tough trails, good or bad places to eat, whatever seems important to you.

You don't need all the coolest gear to have fun. Go with some basics and add stuff you just can't do without as you figure it out.

You're in a good spot. Beginning new things is a lot of fun.
Totally agree. I just see a lot folks marking camping spots on YouTube that I would love to visit and camp as well however most are seasoned folks with vast knowledge of the areas. I thought it would be a good idea to share those areas and I’m sure some but as I have researched it’s becoming clear that a lot of those hidden gems are kept tight to the vest which is understandable but at the same time unfortunate.

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@RaptorRon Not unfortunate at all! The best things in life are well worth working to get. That brings the best experiences, and makes the best memories.

Seems you've got the basics down well. Overlanding is a very different lifestyle from weekend off-roading, but most of the same concepts apply. Plan to carry all the gear for a road trip, plus all the gear for an off-road trip, and you should be golden!

As far as advanced communications go, I can't advise, there. Many use HAM radio as a back-up, but I have no idea how often they actually need it, or how useful it is, when they do use it.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting: all this talk of never going out alone. That’s all my wife and I did for a couple of decades. Out alone, with paper maps, and our backpacks, just in case we had to walk away. About 10 years ago we started carrying a PLB. Just last year I finally dumped the CB radio for a GMRS. We still rely on paper maps and oftentimes ignore them when we come to that proverbial fork in the road. The last couple of years other family members and friends have been joining us, but deep down inside we prefer being alone and plan our trips accordingly. To be dependent upon only yourself, your well maintained equipment, your seat of the pants navigation skills, (aided by paper maps) quickly hones your instincts to make the correct decisions along the way. As I stated, we have two safety nets, the PLB and our back packs. We’ve been out with others, once or twice 20-25 years ago. The showing off, and the one up man ship nonsense was very distasteful and led to multiple extractions and broken equipment.
I think the most important thing to outfit your truck with is you, your good senses, your good decisions, your ability to live and explore the unknown. In our day to day lives we are all inundated with electronic gear and massive amounts of information technology.
I find overlanding to be a nice vacation from all of that. Then again, we are a bit odd that way. Come into our home and there is nothing digital on the ground floor. Peace out!!

Reactions: Zavala

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Until you know your limitations I'd stay withing cell phone range and work out you rig, kitchen and family or friends. Once you've got a handle on everything, get whatever communication/mapping gear you feel comfortable with and hit the back country.
I've made hundreds of weekend trips to State and National Forest to "get the idea" of what all this crap is about. Many short trips will enable you to make the big one better.
We just want to wish you good luck and we're all counting on you. LOL
Zim

Reactions: RaptorRon

RaptorRon

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Thanks all for the tips!! I like the idea of solo trips for sure however I’m going to stay the course of group outings with technical/extreme routes to ensure I know the capabilities of my rig in certain terrain.
Just about have everything I need to venture out , and the state forest locations will be the areas we will traverse , and obtain information for determining what we like and don’t like and what we need and don’t need.

This is a great site and I truly appreciate you all.

FYI, looking for a winch and bumper for my raptor so if you all run across a deal let me know along with an inner cooler relocation kit

Oliver_29d3c7

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Kanervikkoaho

Please and thank you!

RR
Hello! New to this site but I have been off roading in different ways for a while. The most recent is in my '21 Tacoma.

As for what you need to go off roading...one bit of "tech" would be to use an off line navigation app on your phone or tablet. I use Maps.Me. It is free and you only need to download the maps for the areas you are going to be in. Your info shows that you are in New Mexico. Maps.Me has a map for the state which is broken down into two maps to download: Albuquerque and Roswell. A total of about 120MB, not very big. The maps are updated periodically so check for any updates before you head out.

You definitely don't want to go out solo. Find a group in your area or meet ups that go for a drive once in a while. Getting stuck is one thing when you are solo. Breaking down is worse. But if you get injured and you can't get out of where you are. Well, that wouldn't be a good day.

You will want to get some basic gear to take with you: a shovel (can be a small one), recovery straps, d-ring(s), come along winch, a length of chain, etc...

Some other supplies you would want to consider for comfort: camp style chairs, something to cook with, a cooler....basic camping supplies. When you stop for lunch it is more enjoyable to prepare a meal that tastes good and is warm than to unwrap a sub you bought when you left home.

If you are a licensed amateur radio operator, great. There are some people who are licensed who go off roading. You could get a pair of hand held GMRS radios that run on AA batteries to bring along. Most people on the trails use these or FRS radios. Usually in an organized trail ride there will be a surplus of radios and someone may offer a radio for you to use during the ride.

The best thing you can bring with you are senses: common sense and a sense of adventure. When I go out on the trails I want to enjoy where I am and enjoy the company of those around me. I will bring a camera to document the day(s) and I'll be sure to upload them somewhere and write something about the experience. Even if I only do that in Evernote, at least there is something somewhere I can go back to and remember the fun I had.

Enjoy and be safe!
Olli

Reactions: RaptorRon

RaptorRon

Rank III

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ron
Last Name
Ward
Member #

Well she is done except for putting the tent on( won’t fit in garage with it on).
Put on the road active suspension to assist with the weight of the Bay Area metal fab rack, and the 3 person RTT along with all the gear covered by my hard tonneau cover.

Thanks for all the advise. A few more recovery items and communication then I’m hitting the trails!!

Attachments

Reactions: loper and MOAK