Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Hey OB members. I wanted to share our 5X8 Hiker Trailer with everyone. We happened to find this one used locally after I had started looking at possibly saving up to put in an order with Wes @ Hiker Trailer. It’s a couple of years old and just enough broke in to not to worry about getting it dirty.
Below is a walk around I did. Happy to answer any questions about the trailer or gear in the video.

OB Member #7121
2003 4Runner
5X8 Hiker Trailer

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Very nice! Is that a dealer installed rack or the original owner? It is a lot different than what Wes put on my new one.

Enjoy!!

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Very nice! Is that a dealer installed rack or the original owner? It is a lot different than what Wes put on my new one.

Enjoy!!
The rack is not from Wes @ Hiker. The first owner came up with it and had it installed. Wes told me to be careful not to add much weight up there based on how it’s installed.

OB Member #7121
2003 4Runner
5X8 Hiker Trailer

Reactions: Steve

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Added a few LED lights to the Hiker this past weekend.

Look forward to having some nice light at night.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Steve

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Added an 80 amp hour battery and inverter today in the Hiker Trailer.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hey Beee ... great trailer. Now that you've had it for about 6 months, how do you like it? Anything you would like to change?

Reactions: Beee

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Hey Beee ... great trailer. Now that you've had it for about 6 months, how do you like it? Anything you would like to change?
Will be coming up to the 1 year mark in just a few days. We picked it up near the end of July last year. I have two trips over a thousand miles each with it and lots of weekends over the past year. I have made a few upgrades but the basic package has been great. If I would place an order for one today with a budget in mind I would look at the 5x9 Mid Range. With an unlimited budget 5x9 Off Road Extreme is where I would be. But that will have to wait for another time. The 5x9 mid range gives you just the right amount of extra space along with some of the extras I am still looking at doing or have done. Some of the nicer things that I have enjoyed for camping when power is available is the Climate Right AC/Heater and basic electric system. The large door in the back to have full access to the rear of the trailer and having two entry doors. I have add some LED lights, some additional storage inside and the cargo rack up top. Overall it’s great to be out of the weather when you need to be and have a nice bed to sleep in at night. There seems to be many options in the small trailer market right now but Hiker Trailer stands out with a quality product and a great group to work with.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Since you've had yours a while ... I wanted to ask, have you seen any issues with the Hiker's construction or design? The hiker boxes are wood construction, aren't they?

I've also found the VRV Teardrops that are all aluminum construction and I love that. They also have a better option for the a/c then hiker has, but I'm not a fan of the VRV pull-out/drawer kitchens.

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Since you've had yours a while ... I wanted to ask, have you seen any issues with the Hiker's construction or design? The hiker boxes are wood construction, aren't they?

I've also found the VRV Teardrops that are all aluminum construction and I love that. They also have a better option for the a/c then hiker has, but I'm not a fan of the VRV pull-out/drawer kitchens.
I have no issues with the construction of the Hiker. Overall build quality far exceedes the price. I have had it out camping in two straight days of rain with no issues with leaks. The guys at Hiker cut the body with a C&C machine so there are no fitment issues. If you have not yet given Wes a call at the location in Indiana I would recommend talking to him about your concern with the a/c. Me and my wife like the setup. Figured it out this weekend while we were camping in Brown County State Park we have done 26 night over the past year in it.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I have no issues with the construction of the Hiker. Overall build quality far exceedes the price. I have had it out camping in two straight days of rain with no issues with leaks. The guys at Hiker cut the body with a C&C machine so there are no fitment issues. If you have not yet given Wes a call at the location in Indiana I would recommend talking to him about your concern with the a/c. Me and my wife like the setup. Figured it out this weekend while we were camping in Brown County State Park we have done 26 night over the past year in it.
Thanks! Will do. Hoping to see a couple Hikers up close at Overland Expo East this November.

Last edited:

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

That's a nice setup. What's the weight of the A/C and any issues with road debris kicking up into it?
The ClimateRight weighs in at 55 lbs per their website. I have not had any issues with debris as there is a soft cover that goes over it for road travel.