First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
Hey everybody,

Yesterday I was out chasing waterfalls in remote areas of Vancouver Island, when I was stung by bees. My wife immediately gave me a double dose of benadryl and we started the 30 min hike back to the truck. I had last been stung about 20 years ago and I had hives all over my body. The concern here was anaphylaxis on this sting. We had 2 expired epi pens on hand. We made it to the truck and the ER. All was fine.

My question here is, does anybody have any recommendations for treating bee stings in remote areas?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You can go through a desensitization process, It is a hassle but it works. Went through it and no longer as sensitive. I carry Epi still. I sweep up pretty good but have not anaphylaxised since.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

This topic caught my eye, because as far as I know/can remember I've actually never been stung by a bee (I'm 41, lol). I suppose I don't actually know if I'm allergic, but should prepare as if I were? Epipens need a prescription, right? I wonder if a doc would write a prescription based on often traveling to remote/off grid areas and not knowing?

-TJ

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The sting releases and odor called an alarm pheromone. This alerts any bees near by. The other bees become offended and go sting you also. I can say for sure, they will chase you over 100 yards.
I dropped a tree with a hive in it and didn't know it. Fortunately it fell away from me. There were only a few bees near me but once one stung me, I had several chasing me.
Not fun.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

This topic caught my eye, because as far as I know/can remember I've actually never been stung by a bee (I'm 41, lol). I suppose I don't actually know if I'm allergic, but should prepare as if I were? Epipens need a prescription, right? I wonder if a doc would write a prescription based on often traveling to remote/off grid areas and not knowing?

-TJ
You can be tested pretty easily.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

-TJ
talk with your Doctor then to help pay for the pens you might want to look into this...
with my insurance and the cards from EpiPen I get them for just my co pay.

The Durangler

Rank VI

Member I

Port Alberni
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
Because I hadn't been stung in 20 years, I wasnt sure how my body was going to react. I felt a great deal of anxiety being 30 min from the truck in the bush with my wife and son. The sad thing is I have spent many years in Search and Rescue and have pulled a few people out of the woods for this exact reason. I just hadnt considerd it a possbilty for myself. Pretty dumb but the truth. It is a problem I will be correcting going forward.

I will go get tested again to determin what exactly I am alergic to and how bad

Updated epi pens in the kit

Plenty of benedryl

I will also look into communication options when not in cell range.

Good lesson.

Reactions: Boort

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Bee's not to be confused with wasps, yellow jackets, hornets. Bee's have a barbed stinger and can only get you once. The barbed stinger with 'venom' sac will stay attached when the bee pulls out and flies off, eventually dying. Don't smack or swat them, brush them off. The other guys mentioned have slick, barbless stingers, and will simply latch on with their legs and mouth and repeatedly sting multiple times. This is why medical professionals will advise to scrape the sting site with fingernail or other edged tool to remove the bee's venom sac and stinger that will continue to pump the venom into you. Usually bee's will break off attack after about 25 or 30 yards or so by a few dozen bee's. ON THE OTHER HAND, Africanized bee's will chase you further and in much larger numbers. Run in a straight line as fast as you can, seek shelter if possible, don't jump into water. They will simply buzz over the area.

Liquid Benadryl will work faster than tablets or caplets. Bug spray does nothing. I bet if you ask your doctor and explain what you do during remote camping and over landing, what your concerns is with as a result of a true allergic reaction namely anaphylaxis, a prescription would be written. Most all stings (ants and mosquito bite )will result in a localized reaction. Anaphylactic shock is an entirely different beast.

Reactions: The Durangler

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

Bee's not to be confused with wasps, yellow jackets, hornets. Bee's have a barbed stinger and can only get you once. The barbed stinger with 'venom' sac will stay attached when the bee pulls out and flies off, eventually dying. Don't smack or swat them, brush them off. The other guys mentioned have slick, barbless stingers, and will simply latch on with their legs and mouth and repeatedly sting multiple times. This is why medical professionals will advise to scrape the sting site with fingernail or other edged tool to remove the bee's venom sac and stinger that will continue to pump the venom into you. Usually bee's will break off attack after about 25 or 30 yards or so by a few dozen bee's. ON THE OTHER HAND, Africanized bee's will chase you further and in much larger numbers. Run in a straight line as fast as you can, seek shelter if possible, don't jump into water. They will simply buzz over the area.

Liquid Benadryl will work faster than tablets or caplets. Bug spray does nothing. I bet if you ask your doctor and explain what you do during remote camping and over landing, what your concerns is with as a result of a true allergic reaction namely anaphylaxis, a prescription would be written. Most all stings (ants and mosquito bite )will result in a localized reaction. Anaphylactic shock is an entirely different beast.
I’d like to add that food items like meat tenderizer or vinegar will help. Ease the pain in camp. Breaks down the protein.

Gilalobo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Houston
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Cocke
Member #

will respectively disagree when it comes to anaphylaxis shock from a sting. only takes one if allergic and maybe 45 minutes till dead if reactive. Anaphylaxis can result in swelling of breathing airways similar to someone with an asthma attack…if it swells up and chokes off airway leads to unconsciousness and death. Be mindful, carry an epi-pen and Benadryl. I would then suggest if one does have a reaction to see a doctor for follow-up. Sucking it up may cost you your life.

Reactions: The Durangler

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Bee stings in remote areas

i was dating a canadian chick years back and we went golfing one afternoon. we both birdied the first hole when she got stung by a bee. i didnt know if i was supposed to put ice on it or what, so i called an urgent care clinic and spoke to the doctor. he asked me where she got stung and i told him we were hitting the links at fairmont and she got stung between the first and second hole. there was silence for a minute and then he told me that it sounds like her stance is too wide...:neutral:

Last edited: