Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I am a fan of cooking out over a fire. One thing I enjoy cooking is lots of one pot cooking. I also am a fan of 4wd action, videos on YouTube. That is where I first learned of the Bedourie cooker. Many chefs have been sharing the news about cooking with spun steel. A lot of the same cooking characteristics of cast iron. So, I bought one and want to test this out! If anyone has cooked in one of these and can share some dishes, that would be great! But if not and not familiar with this steel cooker, here are some pictures. Vance.716D688C-5FBE-4E78-AFF2-67D506379184.jpeg2B940846-BFDD-494A-8DBE-2103A8832B0B.jpegCA9D6301-7039-4EA3-A895-9D6907349C29.jpegBD08926E-1362-449A-BBA1-5DCEC562CBAC.jpeg5D44E361-6957-4C20-AE60-68AC32C569EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

I use mine in place of a cast iron camp oven - it bakes bread, roasts meat and veggies, cooks stews. And you can use the lid as a frypan as well. The only thing you have to watch is your heat as the spun steel is thinner than cast iron and so hot spots can be a problem. If I was baking bread in a cast camp oven I might use 8 to10 charcoal briquettes underneath with another 12 to 14 on top with the dough on a trivet inside. Cooking the same recipe in the Bedourie oven I cut down to 6 to 8 briquettes underneath and 10 or so on top. The cook will take a little longer but less chance of burning anything. Same for roasts but stews (being wet) don't seem so critical. The Bedourie comes from a cattle station in western Queensland where the drovers (I guess you would call 'em cowboys) were breaking cast iron ovens due to rough handling. So the Bedourie, made from spun steel, is way lighter and while it will bend and can be straightened with a firm boot it will not break. Season, clean and care for pretty much as though it was cast iron.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I'm curious about it, too. Please be sure to update us after you've used it. Is it as heavy as a Dutch oven?
Lucy R,
I did get some great food cooked in the Bedorie Cooker! The 12” cooker I have is 4mm. Both top and bottom of cooker the same. To season my cooker: I first washed the cooker in soapy dishwater, then boiled water twice for an hour, then rubbing down with Olive oil, on all the surfaces, lastly oven for Two, one hour heat cycles, at 200. First cook on the fire and next night also, was a big bunch of Beef ribs! Turned out great, both times. What was said about this cooker above by @Temudjin, I found to be the same! I love it and can’t wait to be able to have a camp fire to use it again! Vance. Oh, make sure to have a good set of BBQ leather gloves! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I use mine in place of a cast iron camp oven - it bakes bread, roasts meat and veggies, cooks stews. And you can use the lid as a frypan as well. The only thing you have to watch is your heat as the spun steel is thinner than cast iron and so hot spots can be a problem. If I was baking bread in a cast camp oven I might use 8 to10 charcoal briquettes underneath with another 12 to 14 on top with the dough on a trivet inside. Cooking the same recipe in the Bedourie oven I cut down to 6 to 8 briquettes underneath and 10 or so on top. The cook will take a little longer but less chance of burning anything. Same for roasts but stews (being wet) don't seem so critical. The Bedourie comes from a cattle station in western Queensland where the drovers (I guess you would call 'em cowboys) were breaking cast iron ovens due to rough handling. So the Bedourie, made from spun steel, is way lighter and while it will bend and can be straightened with a firm boot it will not break. Season, clean and care for pretty much as though it was cast iron.
Temudjin,
I sure would love some of you’re favorite recipes! Vance.

Reactions: Temudjin

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Where did you order it from. I've looked at them after watching 4wd action the cost wasn't bad but the shipping was terrible, then again I might just be a cheap ass.
Goobyb4u8,
I went through the factory in Australia. I paid $56.00 for the cooker, and $84.00 for shipping! Shipping was fast, in 8 days, I had my cooker. Has to be a long term investment and relationship! Vance.

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

Temudjin,
I sure would love some of you’re favorite recipes! Vance.
Well for bread l cheat and use a supermarket wholemeal bread mix, made to the recipe on the pack.
I also make a mean Spaghetti Bolognese. Onion, garlic and Italian herbs fried off in the bedourie with a little oil. Add a pound or two of beef mince, some chopped capsicum and a couple tins of chopped tomatoes and simmer for an hour or so over low heat. Then add a big spoon of Vegemite or a few anchovies to cut the sweetness of the tomatoes and simmer for another 30 mins or so. Boil up some pasta of your choice, make some garlic bread in foil on a low fire and crack a bottle red wine and you have bush feast for at least 4 hungry humans.
And lastly, bush stew. Onions garlic and herbs again fried in a little oil, add some chopped meat and brown. Then mix up your favourite gravy mix, add to the pot and simmer until meat becomes tender. Then add potatoes, carrots and whatever veggies you have to hand and simmer for another 30 minutes or so and serve with crusty bread that you baked in the bedourie earlier. Goes great with a cold beer or three.

Reactions: Lucy R

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I am a fan of cooking out over a fire. One thing I enjoy cooking is lots of one pot cooking. I also am a fan of 4wd action, videos on YouTube. That is where I first learned of the Bedourie cooker. Many chefs have been sharing the news about cooking with spun steel. A lot of the same cooking characteristics of cast iron. So, I bought one and want to test this out! If anyone has cooked in one of these and can share some dishes, that would be great! But if not and not familiar with this steel cooker, here are some pictures. Vance.View attachment 105247View attachment 105248View attachment 105249View attachment 105250View attachment 105251

Very interesting... And thank you for putting this out there and including the initial pics.

Would very much like to see some pics of it now that it has been seasoned and used.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Very interesting... And thank you for putting this out there and including the initial pics.

Would very much like to see some pics of it now that it has been seasoned and used.
Welding Goats,
Will try to do so tomorrow, with some better natural light. I am trying to set up something with the company in Australia, and be the USA. Distributor. Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello,
Some of you have asked what my Bedourie cooker looks like now after seasoning and use? Here are some pictures. Wish I could use it more but not with the dry conditions and fire danger! Vance.
849B2519-F052-4ABE-AC0A-D9135B86BD8E.jpeg41BB8490-7783-400E-81BF-17DEBCA5C9B3.jpeg

Thorgraham

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Graham
Welding Goats,
Will try to do so tomorrow, with some better natural light. I am trying to set up something with the company in Australia, and be the USA. Distributor. Vance.
Hey Vance. If you ever become a distributor or figure out who can sell them in the usa I have a bunch of business for you in az starting with me. I would love to get one of these but haven't been able to find shipping options for the usa on any web sites.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hey Vance. If you ever become a distributor or figure out who can sell them in the usa I have a bunch of business for you in az starting with me. I would love to get one of these but haven't been able to find shipping options for the usa on any web sites.
Thorgraham,
Take a look at the picture I am including with my reply. This will give you the contact information for Southern Metal Spinners. They do sell to the USA. through their own WEB site. They will sell their goods in a large quantities, and that would save on the shipping. But that was about it. I really wanted to become a distributor for them. Maybe someone with a company in business now and good track record could convince the company to have them as a USA. Distributor? If I remember what mine cost me it was like $67.00 usd. to buy and $80.00 usd. In shipping. I guess if you had enough money and buyers to justify the cash outlay, buying a crate at a time, shipping would not hit the bottom line so bad?

I do enjoy cooking with my Bedourie Cooker. I went with the 11” size, but there are other options. It really does cook as well as my cast iron cook ware. The heavy gage metal cooks great and is non-stick like good seasoned cast iron. Like cast iron, you do have to season before use. The more you cook in it the better it works, again just like cast iron without the weight! To me, no need for the Tumbotusk, Cooking disk and the like. You can do all your camp cooking in this cook ware! This is all I use now when on my Overland adventures. Hope this helps answer some of your questions? Vance.
940E827F-E80E-46FC-BDB0-C469C9DED77A.jpeg

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

looks interesting how well does the lid seal ?
chartgpa,
The lid just sits on top of the cooker. But cooking with that seems to work fine. If you watch any of the the full length videos of: 4wd.Action, on YouTube, they always show them cooking and they share recipes that they use. Vance.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Edit. Oops. Necro post here. Oh well. Another YouTuber who does a lot of cooking with spun steel is Harry at Fire to Fork. Check him out for bush cooking and recipes and I know there was a link to a US seller for the Bedourie in his last video.