Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Anyone have experience with using these spray kits for painting your rig or parts of your rig (other then the bed)? I'd want to color it to light grey if possible. I have some experience spraying car paint but never material like this. I'd like to spray the Cab maybe the camper on the back but still unsure.

Suggestions?

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

excellent would you recommend for someone that has little autobody experience? Decent at taping but how is it to work with? did you add color? About how much did you buy to cover your whole truck? - Thanks

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I used MonstaLiner on an FJ62 several years ago, I sold it to a guy down the street so I see it daily, still looks good (at least the paint :cry:).

After_ML.jpg

I rolled that on in my garage. I used the special textured roller. I would like to see what that looks like sprayed on because I may have another project.

G'luck!

Dan

Reactions: 1derer

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

im gonna be doing monstaliner in apocalypse orange or dark burnt orange on my wj here within the next year or so.
having used to spray linex professionally I can say that prep is definetly key., basically sand with a decent grit sandpaper (I used 60 grit for beds) and then use an air gun to blow off the whole sanded area and then rub it down with acetone. we used this special tape that had a metal rod in it so it was easy to create perfect lines and not fight the tape when trying to get it off. also if you have holes to fill wrap the tape in a tight roll and then "thread" it into any hole you have. It will protect the threads and come out very easily.

forcasted

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

san antonio,tx
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Patula
Member #

excellent would you recommend for someone that has little autobody experience? Decent at taping but how is it to work with? did you add color? About how much did you buy to cover your whole truck? - Thanks
I've never painted a vehicle before, but spent 10 hours prepping and 2 hours spraying. Be sure to use a compressor recommended for paint spayers. Was super easy to work with. You have to adjust the pressure to get the texture you want. Definitely a diy project. I bought 2 kits that came 8 bottles total, i wantes to have two sprayer guns. I purchased the black kit and did not add color. I like the raptor liner because it has UV protection, after a year there is zero fade. It has a semi gloss finish and if its not dirty sparkles in the sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N910P using OB Talk mobile app

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I've never painted a vehicle before, but spent 10 hours prepping and 2 hours spraying. Be sure to use a compressor recommended for paint spayers. Was super easy to work with. You have to adjust the pressure to get the texture you want. Definitely a diy project. I bought 2 kits that came 8 bottles total, i wantes to have two sprayer guns. I purchased the black kit and did not add color. I like the raptor liner because it has UV protection, after a year there is zero fade. It has a semi gloss finish and if its not dirty sparkles in the sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N910P using OB Talk mobile app
Looks like its fairly coarse does it trap dirt?

Reactions: Excursioner

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

Would be great to see your process, 1derer. I am looking to do something similar with the rocker panels and fender molding on my Excursion. I have already picked up a couple of consideration by reading the other replies, but pics and do's/don'ts as you encounter them would be great info.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I think I am going to be doing it in the spring also. I want to use the tintanle version.