Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is the tonneau cover hard, soft, roll up, folding?
I use a guide gear bed tent now but no cover.
If your cover is hard you'd have to disconnect the shocks and lift and secure the cover vertical. With the folding ones you may Be able to do it if the folded part will lay up against the rear window. Soft Rolling ones you should have no problem.
It would be easiest just to remove the cover at home when you want to use a bed tent.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Has anyone used a truck bed tent with a tonneau cover? If so how any recommendations?
I used a bed tent (floorless) with my tri fold for a year. The tent was not a perfect fit but well enough to stay dry. It was OK in good Wx but it flapped a lot in windy rainy nights. I ended up with a Softopper and drawers. I carry 2 totes I need to unload, camp chair and table, this takes a minute and camp is ready. I have a tarp I can put up on the end of the truck when the Wx is bad. Camp setup or tear down is under 5 minutes, I spend my time moving, not sitting in camp.

tvdavis2

Rank II

Advocate I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Terrance
Last Name
Davis
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try a soft cover with a napier tent that has a tent floor. Will follow up on how it works out. Heading out to Joshua Tree this weekend

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
On my 03 GMC sierra 1500 I have a Pace Edwards roll up tonneau that came when I bought the truck. I bought a Rightline Gear 110730 that doesn't have a bottom and used it for a couple of years. I love the fact I can setup the stuff in the bed of the truck or leave my gear in the bed while I set the tent up if I'm being lazy. The down side would be if it's raining you'll have a wet floor inside your tent. It moves a bit in the wind and the gap between the tailgate and bed isn't covered but it doesn't leak air around where the bed meets the tent and I have no worries about it blowing off. with the roll up tonneau it ate up about a foot of space pushing my cot closer to the tailgate which overall is fine. I've opted to use it less and less as I've been trying to figure out my sleeping arrangements with my pup and frankly I like to be able to stand in my tent and that just wasn't the case. It only takes about 15 minutes to setup, always pack it the same way and it's super easy to setup., I'll keep mine until I finally iron out how I plan my trail camping and for now when I'm on my own, it's a great solution.