Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 and I've been trying to find a way to mount accessories (i.e. hi lift jack, shovel, axe, etc) in the bed. I know companies like Built Right Industries make bed side racks but I can find very few, if any, aftermarket accessories like that for my model truck. Does anyone have any ideas of either where I could buy something kind of universal or honestly a DIY would be great as well.
I had thought about putting in Rivnuts or something to that effect and mounting some brackets but I do like the idea of a molle panel rack for optimal organization and storage if possible.

Reactions: Werlyb23 and K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Could do a superstrut channel yourself. Wpuld need some thing to fasten it to the side of the bed but would be very easy.

Can get a 10-ft piece of it from lowes for about $25.

Reactions: genocache

Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
Could do a superstrut channel yourself. Wpuld need some thing to fasten it to the side of the bed but would be very easy.

Can get a 10-ft piece of it from lowes for about $25.

Oh that's a good idea. That would make it very customizable. And very budget friendly

Also I just saw that you're in Middleton, ID. I'm just around the corner in Caldwell!

Reactions: K12

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Small world! I’m in Kuna! I have a welder and I’m getting ready to play with some super strut for some accessories too! I’d be happy to help or collaborate?

Reactions: Bowtied13 and K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I got family down in Kuna as well. I am thinking of doing a superstrut rack over the cab of my truck when I am mobile again. was thinking of doing it from front of cab to end of bed when i get a camper shell on it.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
Small world! I’m in Kuna! I have a welder and I’m getting ready to play with some super strut for some accessories too! I’d be happy to help or collaborate?
Very cool! Well let me know what you come up with. I was looking in my truck bed today and I think the super strut could work great. I'm thinking threaded rivets would work best to fasten to the bed so I'll have to get some of those. I actually have some super strut sitting in my garage from a previous project so I'll mock it up and see how it looks

Reactions: lhoffm4

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

That turned out great!
Thank you, I'm happy with it and it is still adjustable, all bolted together, no welds, as things might change. Originally I had a RTT on it so plenty strong. I have since mounted a 270° awning on it after some DIY attempts.

I've used quite a few rivnuts, I found after drilling the hole if I put a small irregularity in the hole like a notch, it will keep the rivnut from ever turning.

Reactions: Bowtied13

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I got family down in Kuna as well. I am thinking of doing a superstrut rack over the cab of my truck when I am mobile again. was thinking of doing it from front of cab to end of bed when i get a camper shell on it.
I modified a contractor rack to have extra storage and a deck for my rtt. Some expanded metal for decking. Works great!

for accessories like the jacks and shovels, I think the super strut will be perfect. Lots of existing brackets and attachments so don’t have to re-invent the wheel...