Bed Rack or Cap? Advantages Disadvantages?

• HTML tutorial

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

http://allprooffroad.com/shop/16-tacoma-apex-steel-pack-rack-kit/

I thought about getting this for the truck, I am curious though to what really will be the best options. I am a ground tenter. I plan on doign the RTT when I build a trailer down the line.

I know the obvious benefits to a cap, can be sealed and such. But besides the overall weather protection I feel like it will be more of a hassle. I feel like they lack the modular aspect that the bed racks do. I think I will find it more effective to run the bed rack system, no obviously I may not have picked the best option for that either. So a little bit of advice and recommendations to help clear my path. I like to learn and know I am making good choices before I spend this much money. Lol. Might as well learn from what you guys already have figured out.

Edit: Also I am thinking if i do not include a roof rack what are the abilities to do an awning built in? I am almost considering some sort of fabrication to put just a runner on one side to add an awning too.

Last edited:

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
http://allprooffroad.com/shop/16-tacoma-apex-steel-pack-rack-kit/

I thought about getting this for the truck, I am curious though to what really will be the best options. I am a ground tenter. I plan on doign the RTT when I build a trailer down the line.

I know the obvious benefits to a cap, can be sealed and such. But besides the overall weather protection I feel like it will be more of a hassle. I feel like they lack the modular aspect that the bed racks do. I think I will find it more effective to run the bed rack system, no obviously I may not have picked the best option for that either. So a little bit of advice and recommendations to help clear my path. I like to learn and know I am making good choices before I spend this much money. Lol. Might as well learn from what you guys already have figured out.

Edit: Also I am thinking if i do not include a roof rack what are the abilities to do an awning built in? I am almost considering some sort of fabrication to put just a runner on one side to add an awning too.
I had been considering something like this but after seeing just how much dust can get into a cap, I think you would absolutely need a cover for it... not sure a lot of these have covers. I know that some do... don't see that this one does though. Walt

Edit: OK, I see this one does have a cover. That is appealing.

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I'm not really looking to get the rack to just cover it all the time or worry about that's weather proof boxes and bags can make up for that lack. I feel like mobility or modular simplicity is achieved. I also feel the look is more rugged.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I had a cap. It was nice at times but not many. Usually just got in the way. I now have a RCI bed rack sitting and waiting to get installed later this spring. I prefer the bed rack for its loading options and for running my RTT. My cap could not handle a RTT on the road let alone on the trail. There are caps strong enough but mine wasn't one of them.

The 2 racks I would seriously consider are the RCI rack or the Leitner designs rack. Depends on cost and your specific needs.

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/05-17-Tacoma-Bed-Rack-Tacobedrack.htm

https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/tacoma-bed-rack-short-bed-p/acstsa-1060.htm

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

So I went with Relentless Fabrication for the bed rack. Pretty excited got the extra height for the few extra bucks. I think it'll fit my needs just fine and they have plenty of add ons if not the company will happily fabricate new stuff for your creativity if it's worth it.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
So I went with Relentless Fabrication for the bed rack. Pretty excited got the extra height for the few extra bucks. I think it'll fit my needs just fine and they have plenty of add ons if not the company will happily fabricate new stuff for your creativity if it's worth it.

Did you order the set of 3 cross-bars? I saw those this morning. Walt

Reactions: SeguineJ

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Yes I did. I got the bare to keep the cost down because I want to do that work. I am going to paint them a color rather than standard black first to see how I like it and see if it adds to the truck. Just something to have some fun and standout.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have a friend who has a bed rack with his roof top tent mounted on it. It looks cool, but he has no use of his rear view mirror.

I went with a Leer cap that I found on Craigslist for $400 and had it paint matched for $300. Then did a very inexpensive sleeping platform for $100. Added LED lights to the cap for around $60 in parts and wires. This gives me a way to stealth camp, quickly and easily, storage for camping supplies, and it's locked. Dust is not much of an issue if you spend 20 minutes taping up any holes and adding a rubber seal to the tailgate hinge area.

I've since added a roof top tent on Yakima rails. So far so good. Now I can camp in the RTT when time permits, or stealth camp in the cap when I'm on the road and can't find a place to put up the RTT. Form and function. That's my 2 cents.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
I have a friend who has a bed rack with his roof top tent mounted on it. It looks cool, but he has no use of his rear view mirror.

I went with a Leer cap that I found on Craigslist for $400 and had it paint matched for $300. Then did a very inexpensive sleeping platform for $100. Added LED lights to the cap for around $60 in parts and wires. This gives me a way to stealth camp, quickly and easily, storage for camping supplies, and it's locked. Dust is not much of an issue if you spend 20 minutes taping up any holes and adding a rubber seal to the tailgate hinge area.

I've since added a roof top tent on Yakima rails. So far so good. Now I can camp in the RTT when time permits, or stealth camp in the cap when I'm on the road and can't find a place to put up the RTT. Form and function. That's my 2 cents.

Slick setup dziner! Did you have to find one that was load rated for the rack/RTT?

Last edited:

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

How tall are you? There was no way I was able to sleep in the bed of my short bed truck without the tailgate down.

Reactions: dziner

EscoTerrestrial

US East Region Member Rep
Staff member
Investor

Influencer II

Port Washington, NY, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

Luv the concepts, at the moment i got a rtt going on the cab using a flat baja rack, i have a second rack on its way right now for the cap that i will use for equipment. Most recent pick below w/o rtt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I am 6'4" and I was able to comfortable sleep in the bed with my tailgate down.
Gate down makes perfect sense if you don't have a platform or don't mind the back being down with bad weather. His setup is a raised platform that doesn't extend past the tailgate, hence my question. Maybe he had an extension I didn't see but that wasn't the case.