Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Now that I have my new truck, I'm going to be installing a bed cover on it at some point. Most likely it's going to be a Diamondback SE because it's tough and it's easy to remove if I need to use the whole bed for something. I'm looking for a rail system that I can mount on top of that that is just as easy to remove and I'm looking for recommendations. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 if it makes a difference. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd like one that doesn't have to put screw holes through the cover so it maintains the waterproofness of the cover, though I'm not sure that's possible.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Go with Diamondback. When I had my Tacoma, I had the HD model. There is nothing that compare to the DB. I have had a few different covers, and this one wins hands down. If you get the HD, you have a higher load rating, and can throw a roof top tent on top. Hope this helps. Cheers!

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Whoops, I guess I didn't read this well. For rails, check DB. I thought they were looking at doing some. The issue you will have is, the DB will need drilled into. If you just want to remove the cross bars, you'll need to find the tracks that fit. Underneath the diamond back cover are support braces, so you''ll have to measure, so you do not drill into those. I'd suggest picking out a cover, and then going from there once it arrives. I know there was a company on Amazon, Vantech maybe, that made bars that would work on the DB, but it has fixed towers. Maybe call DB, and see what they say.

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Diamondback does offer a form of rails but they, like others, have to be drilled into the cover. I don't want permanent rails, but I also realize I'm asking for a lot. I did find one system that has integrated slides that you can mount rails onto, but the problem with the bed cover is that it's one that rolls back into a coil at the front of the bed, taking up bed space. Again, I'm asking for a lot and will have to make do with something.

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

It looks like KB VooDoo has rails that mount under bed covers without drilling or screwing into the bed cover or bed. They have a recommended bed cover list and Diamondback is on it. This may be an option that meets my criteria, though I'd be concerned about what kind of gap the bracket from the rail creates between the bed and the bed cover, including the water resistance/proof integrity of the bed cover.

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
It looks like KB VooDoo has rails that mount under bed covers without drilling or screwing into the bed cover or bed. They have a recommended bed cover list and Diamondback is on it. This may be an option that meets my criteria, though I'd be concerned about what kind of gap the bracket from the rail creates between the bed and the bed cover, including the water resistance/proof integrity of the bed cover.
Generally speaking, the gasket that is supplied with any tonneau cover is sufficient for sealing the gap created by the uprights.

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Generally speaking, the gasket that is supplied with any tonneau cover is sufficient for sealing the gap created by the uprights.
Thanks for the reply. Are you with KB Voodoo or are you just a fan of theirs? Either way, I mentioned the gap issue because of a video I was watching (linked below; 14:30-15:05 is the relevant part) that showed that there was a gap created near the front of the bed. The video is from September, 2019 so it's relatively recent. It's a different bed cover so that may have an impact on why there's a gap.

Reactions: RoarinRow

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
Thanks for the reply. Are you with KB Voodoo or are you just a fan of theirs? Either way, I mentioned the gap issue because of a video I was watching (linked below; 14:30-15:05 is the relevant part) that showed that there was a gap created near the front of the bed. The video is from September, 2019 so it's relatively recent. It's a different bed cover so that may have an impact on why there's a gap.

I'm a HUGE fan of the company, (and also the owner, lol)

His cover looks like a Retrax, which has a metal frame. That's the biggest reason for the gap.

Thanks for posting the video, we had not seen that one yet.

Just and FYI: Spray a little WD-40 on a rag and it will clean anti-seize off the rack very easily.

AtlasBound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm a HUGE fan of the company, (and also the owner, lol)

His cover looks like a Retrax, which has a metal frame. That's the biggest reason for the gap.

Thanks for posting the video, we had not seen that one yet.

Just and FYI: Spray a little WD-40 on a rag and it will clean anti-seize off the rack very easily.
Thanks for the input. The KB Voodoo system seems to be the only one I've found so far that meets my requirements of being removable and not having to drill into the bed or the bed cover. Ideally I'd remove the rack unless I actually need it, but that means I need the bed cover to remain intact. Thanks again.