Enthusiast I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Hello everyone,

I am totally new at this and I am actively planning my first trip into the wilderness. My plan was to visit Scotts Lake in California this weekend and I was wondering how one bear proofs their food/camping items? There are known to be bears in the region and I wanted to get some feedback/ideas on how to proceed.

Influencer II

Riverside,CA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Cochran
Member #

Lock your food up if they have bear lockers. Do not keep any food in your tent or near you sleeping area period. Bears can rip a car door open like a tin can. If your back packing hoist your food up on a tree limb preferably 15-20 feet up again away from your camp. If you don’t carry keep bear spray.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Dcooper - here's what the USDA Forest Service page recommends for the area you'll be in, which is part of the Eldorado National Forest: Be Safe In Bear Country

This is a good page from BearSmart.com with info on Camping In Bear Country

Widely advised, too, when camping backcountry in heavy bear area with no bear boxes is the practice of setting up camping triangle of cooking, food storage, and tent spaced 200' or more apart. Some say put the latrine area closer to the cooking area; some say if in more open country space everything further apart.

The main point it not to have food smells in or around your tents.

1564050254987.png

There are bear resistant containers one can buy, too, though you're headed out this weekend sounds like.
I like and have two of the three bear-resistant sizes of the Zarges K470 cases and keep my food stuffs in those when in bear country.

It pays to be alert and conscientious in best practices while out there, but don't let it ruin your adventure with paranoia.

Last edited:

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Never found a decent reply to this topic. You see all of these people running $30k trailers and they are cooking sausage and bacon on the trailer then storing everything inside of it with their RTT on top. You also see people hauling fridges/freezers in their rig but you never see them hoisting it into a tree. They will usually be the ones that say you should have extremely strict camp set ups in bear country.

Honestly if we are going into bear country. We just try and grab a camp sight with a bear locker. Other wise we lock the cooler in the cab of the truck (like MT fish and game says) .

We keep our food basic and dont cook food that makes large messes or has a lingering odor. (Bacon) we sometimes even keep it simple and run freeze dried food. That way it can be easily hung in a tree if need be.

I was told to buy back packing bear box containers and hang them in trees. That's fine but honestly how are you supposed to hang over a weeks worth of food in a tree with containers that arent much larger than a shoe box. Your camp would look like a christmas tree.

lordnoak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Franklin
Never found a decent reply to this topic. You see all of these people running $30k trailers and they are cooking sausage and bacon on the trailer then storing everything inside of it with their RTT on top. You also see people hauling fridges/freezers in their rig but you never see them hoisting it into a tree. They will usually be the ones that say you should have extremely strict camp set ups in bear country.

Honestly if we are going into bear country. We just try and grab a camp sight with a bear locker. Other wise we lock the cooler in the cab of the truck (like MT fish and game says) .

We keep our food basic and dont cook food that makes large messes or has a lingering odor. (Bacon) we sometimes even keep it simple and run freeze dried food. That way it can be easily hung in a tree if need be.

I was told to buy back packing bear box containers and hang them in trees. That's fine but honestly how are you supposed to hang over a weeks worth of food in a tree with containers that arent much larger than a shoe box. Your camp would look like a christmas tree.
I was wondering about this also. I see a lot of youtubers who are cooking in the back of their trucks/vehicles with tents on top. Do they just know the area is not bear prone or are they using special foods or just rolling the dice?

• Sad
Reactions: Billiebob

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
...You see all of these people running $30k trailers and they are cooking sausage and bacon on the trailer then storing everything inside of it with their RTT on top ...
I questioned that myself. I wonder what the decision thought process was. Likewise, I see same issue with tailgate tables or slide out kitchens. Minimizing odor on your rig, even if you are not sleeping in it, nor on it, should be prudent. This is not just for avoiding bears, other critter too.

Reactions: Road

Musubie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Los Angeles
I was wondering about this also. I see a lot of youtubers who are cooking in the back of their trucks/vehicles with tents on top. Do they just know the area is not bear prone or are they using special foods or just rolling the dice?
This is exactly why I do not have a refrigerator and stove in the car and why in the rig of my dreams I’d never have them.

An old First Lander aphorism goes like this: When a twig snaps in the forest, the eagle will see it, the deer will hear it, and the bear will smell it.

And all those photos of ‘glamping’ cooking with freshly caught trout frying in bacon fat in a cast iron skillet over an open flame? That’s bear-bait right there!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Aside from what has been listed above, I would also make myself known in bear country. Bells, talking loudly (when appropriate), and other forms of noise should alert them to your presence. Definitely be aware of all smellables and where they're at, what comes into contact with them, and keeping them safe when not in camp and during the evening hours. Supposedly cayenne pepper works as a bear deterrent. I know it works for a lot of critters like skunks and cats. Might be worth digging into to see as you can get a decent size container of ground cayenne pepper to have for the critters and for food.

Reactions: Graeman

lordnoak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Franklin
How would you guys use a fridge in bear country? Do you disconnect from the car battery and hook up to a standalone battery overnight? Fridge seems like a very good thing to have on a long trip.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

No matter how you have your camp set up, or whether you have a trailer or rooftop tent or car, the goal in bear country should be to keep your shit straight and clean and keep odors contained and away from camp and sleeping quarters.

I've had far more problems with bear from what previous campers had carelessly done with food waste and firepits than anything I've done myself. I'm a geek for keeping my gear organized and clean.

As an aside, and while I realize this thread is more about bear-proofing one's campsite and gear, this is an interesting article to read: Bear Attacks - Killer Statistic, from Alaska Life two years ago. Some good points in there regarding overreaction, paranoia, and statistics.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

How would you guys use a fridge in bear country? Do you disconnect from the car battery and hook up to a standalone battery overnight? Fridge seems like a very good thing to have on a long trip.
I have an ARB 50 and have kept it in my van for two years, running pretty much non-stop, powered by deep cycle batteries in the trailer most of the time, and by the van when away from the trailer. I keep a couple heavy gauge 12v extension cords if I want more distance between van and trailer for any reason when in camp. I'll have deep cycles in my van at some point, but don't now.

I keep my fridge clean and as odor free as I can, meaning I regularly pull the baskets and wipe the inside walls with vinegar and sometimes a bleach solution as well as clean the baskets themselves. I make sure everything I have in there for fresh food is wrapped and sealed well and that any containers such as condiments or dressings, etc are clean on the outside with lids on tight. I also set it to run colder than many might, to the point stuff way deep or near the walls gets frosty. I believe that allows for less odor. The fridge has a heavy rubber seal between lid and body.

i've had bears come through camp and be far more interested in what was cooked in a firepit by the last campers or where they dumped their waste water or food scraps than they were in even remotely checking out my van or trailer.

Having camped and been backcountry all over North America going back about fifty years, the only time I have had animals mess with my vehicle is when a door was open and a squirrel or raccoon got inside. I believe the problem most have is when they have not been as clean as they could have been. Meaning, the clothes you cooked in, the pots you used, the trash and scraps you generated and what they came in contact with, the towels you used in cleaning up, etc.

I have a buddy who is usually scrupulously clean about his gear and cooking, who was woken one full-moon night by a Black Bear's head stuck all the way into his tent. He had no food or cosmetics in there, no dish towels or trash. Then he remembered he'd wiped his hands on his jeans while cooking breakfast that morning and meant to wash them, but never got around to it.

Bears have eyesight approximating humans, it is said, so don't always venture about as much at night unless there's a good reason. Their sense of smell, however, is far greater than ours and will give them the reason to venture into careless camps even on a dark night. I read somewhere recently they can smell food, one of their primary motivations every day, up to kilometer away.

It pays to be even more conscientious, of course, about keeping our gear clean and organized and doors closed when in bear country.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordnoak

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I've seen plenty of trailcam pics from bear hunter friends that prove they are out and about at night a LOT. Lol.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I’ve been camping and backpacking for years, only bear trouble I’ve had was out in Cimmaron, NM when one curious bear stumbled into our camp after my tent mate left a half eaten pemmican bar in his jacket pocket and came to bed. I never figured out how my mate managed to eat one of those things but I’ve been better about interrogations of tent mates since in regards to smellables. In the FJ I keep the fridge clean and at freezing temps in bear country, utilizing it to freeze gallon jugs of water. Which I rotate in and out of my RTIC cooler which I can stash in a bear locker or lock up separately AWAY from my vehicle. I used to use a hard tote for food, but I’ve moved to a few soft reusable bags to be easier to get in and out of different brands/models of Bear lockers. Keep in mind that if you’ve stored smellable foods that some plastics can retain the scent for longer than you might think. Having the multiple soft totes I can squeeze them into the space around the larger items in the bear locker.

Reactions: lordnoak

Dcooper

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses to my question. I will definitely heed the advice and keep things clean and no Bacon or snacks in my pocket while sleeping :smile:

Semonster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Segraves
Member #

Lifestyle Overland mentioned this in a video. Sometimes they would cook / have dinner in one location and move to a different one to sleep in bear country. Unclear how often they did this but they traveled through Alaska and BC sleeping on top of their kitchen.

Finally, don’t think there is a really good answer if you have all your items contained on/in your vehicle.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've seen plenty of trailcam pics from bear hunter friends that prove they are out and about at night a LOT. Lol.

Oh yeah, most definitely! Though don't venture about as much at night as they might during the day, and not into camps as much unless they have a good reason like strong odors that say "food!", was my point.

In my experience the brighter it is at night the more they're out, too. Both times I had black bears in camp in the Smokies of East Tennessee were at night during the week of a full moon. Hunters and rangers I asked about it said they're more active at night during a full moon.

Along the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine it's known that bears often hide in the brush and go unnoticed by hikers, preferring to avoid contact. I've never been bothered by bear in camp in Maine, day or night, where we have over 30,000 Black Bear, and never in my camping in the hills and mountains of California and Oregon, though saw plenty.

Heading to BC, Yukon, and Alaska, I think I'd prepare differently for remote camping, especially if solo, and would be more careful around Browns and Grizzlies.

Hope you're doing well out there in Manitoba! Haven't talked in a long time.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Oh yeah, most definitely! Though don't venture about as much at night as they might during the day, and not into camps as much unless they have a good reason like strong odors that say "food!", was my point.

In my experience the brighter it is at night the more they're out, too. Both times I had black bears in camp in the Smokies of East Tennessee were at night during the week of a full moon. Hunters and rangers I asked about it said they're more active at night during a full moon.

Along the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine it's known that bears often hide in the brush and go unnoticed by hikers, preferring to avoid contact. I've never been bothered by bear in camp in Maine, day or night, where we have over 30,000 Black Bear, and never in my camping in the hills and mountains of California and Oregon, though saw plenty.

Heading to BC, Yukon, and Alaska, I think I'd prepare differently for remote camping, especially if solo, and would be more careful around Browns and Grizzlies.

Hope you're doing well out there in Manitoba! Haven't talked in a long time.

Yep.
Good here.
We just "limited out" on lake trout yesterday, gutted and filleted them last night.
Threw the fillets in my ARB freezer (it's set to be our deep freeze).
We burned the guts and carcasses with a super heated fire (used my air pump for the air mattress plugged into my inverter.... The flames were white hot. First-time I tried that trick.... Was insane!)

Black bears are plentiful here (signs and scat on every trail).... But because it's a remote location they haven't gotten accustomed to scavenging around humans.

We use ratchet straps around normal coolers (first time trying this as we are out for 3 weeks or so).... And so far after week 1 it's been no issue.

My kid even left out some fish guts in a Ziploc bag the other night (bait for crayfish) and it was untouched by any critter. I wasn't overly impressed when I found this out, but whattayado?

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yep.
Good here.
We just "limited out" on lake trout yesterday, gutted and filleted them last night.
Threw the fillets in my ARB freezer (it's set to be our deep freeze).
We burned the guts and carcasses with a super heated fire (used my air pump for the air mattress plugged into my inverter.... The flames were white hot. First-time I tried that trick.... Was insane!)

Black bears are plentiful here (signs and scat on every trail).... But because it's a remote location they haven't gotten accustomed to scavenging around humans.

We use ratchet straps around normal coolers (first time trying this as we are out for 3 weeks or so).... And so far after week 1 it's been no issue.

My kid even left out some fish guts in a Ziploc bag the other night (bait for crayfish) and it was untouched by any critter. I wasn't overly impressed when I found this out, but whattayado?

Ha, yeah, especially in their teen years, you get tired repeating warnings and admonishments over and over. Great to be in an area the critters aren't overly used to humans being around regularly. Envious of your catching your limit on lake trout! My fave lake around here isn't deep enough for trout but I sure love wrestling with the bass and crappies, etc.

Reactions: Winterpeg

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

There was an interesting IG post by one of the northern National Parks the other day talking about being bear safe. They stated that you don't need to hang your food, you simply have to have it in a locking (bear-proof) container, 50 feet away from where you are going to sleep.

EDIT: here is the post:
"While we do appreciate the extra effort to protect our wildlife, there is no need to hang a bear canister . Simply place it on the ground locked and secured ~50 ft from your campsite."